414 Brymer Creek Rd
McDonald, TN 37353
McDonald, TN 37353
- Bachman Academy is a dually-accredited (SACS/SAIS) boarding/day school for children in grades 6-12 who have learning differences.
- Bachman Academy provides a language-rich program of study emphasizing active learning.
- In addition to hands-on academics, the academy offers career education in equine studies, mechanics, woodworking, and horticulture/agriculture.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Bachman Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||188 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||19 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(School shirt and khaki pants)
|Average Class Size||5 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Bridgette Owen|
- Bachman Academy specializes in the education of students with AD/HD, Dyslexia, and other language-based learning differences. The 188-acre campus is the ideal backdrop for an environmentally-focused school of average to above average students who struggle to learn in a traditional educational environment. Bachman`s curriculum includes opportunities to learn and practice executive functioning skills, the skills necessary to function successfully in today`s society. The Academy boasts a 5:1 student to faculty ratio and a 1:1 student to staff ratio. Educators at the Academy are trained in well-researched methods of instruction for students with learning differences. In addition, many of the faculty and staff have first-hand knowledge of the struggles and stress an inappropriate education can have on children and their families, when the expectations of a traditional classroom are not met. Bachman teachers adjust their style and methods to teach the way each student learns best.
- The career-education programs offered at Bachman are unique among the majority of boarding specialty schools. Career-education options include Mechanics, Woodworking and Horticulture/Agriculture. The programs are built on outcome-based learning, with the end goal of entry into a technical school or employment upon graduation. The "School to Work" course covers such topics as personal finance, completing job applications, preparing for a job interview, interview skills, personal appearance, self-advocacy, and preparing for independent living.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, Asperger/Austism Spectrum, Nonverbal Learning Disorder
- School accreditations: SAIS-SACS
Submit Review for Bachman Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12| 1024 students 22.2 miles171 Baylor School Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Grades: 7-12| 170 students 87.3 miles1701 Brandon Hall Drive
Atlanta, GA 30350
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.
April 25, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
April 19, 2017
Get admissions officer's Clayton Johnston's perspective on how to choose the best boarding school for you.