5.00 (9 reviews)245 North Undermountain Road
Sheffield, MA 01257
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 399 students
Established in 1907, Berkshire School is a co-ed, college preparatory boarding and day school that prepares 399 ninth-12th graders and post-graduates for a global future.
Pioneering programs-such as Advanced Math/Science Research, Advanced Humanities Research, and STEAM-coexist with advanced sections and AP offerings in all disciplines.
With a range of artistic and athletic offerings, a new Fine Arts Center, a state-of-the-art Math and Science Center, a 117,000-square-foot athletic facility, an 8-acre solar field providing 40% of the School's energy needs, and national recognition for its efforts in environmental conservation, it is an extraordinary 400-acre setting in which students are encouraged to to embrace the school motto, Pro Vita Non Pro Schola Discimus, "Learning -not just for school but for life.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Columbia University I wouldn’t trade my time at Berkshire for anything because of the extraordinary community that I joined. The students, teachers, faculty, and alumni I met at Berkshire were amazingly genuine and inspiring. Teachers are invested. . .
- Gettysburg College One of the most unique aspects of Berkshire is the strong sense of community, which forms in a natural manner from year to year. Both faculty and peers provide a sturdy support system that enables. . .
- Northeastern University Berkshire is more than a school: it is a lifestyle, a culture, and a family environment that makes you want to be successful in and out of the classroom everyday. Every person at Berkshire is. . .
- St. Lawrence University Their are many different aspects of Berkshire School that makes it different from the majority of boarding schools in the country. I would have to say that the interactions between students and faculty are extremely. . .
- Bates College Berkshire School is a fantastic boarding school. The campus is secluded beneath Mt. Everett and the rest of the Berkshire Mountains. It has no main roads traveling through the campus which gives the students an. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Berkshire School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||400 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||399 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$117 million
(As of June 30, 2016)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$40,000||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||65||-|
|Director of Admissions||Andrew Bogardus|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||16|
|Courses||Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, Physics C: Mechanics, Spanish Language, Studio Art 2D Design, Studio Art 3D Design, Studio Art Drawing, Biology, US Government and Politics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||23|
|Extracurriculars||1907 Society, ArtsReach, Basic, Berkshire Birding Club, Book Club, Fly Fishing Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Get Your Geek On, Green Key Club, Greensleeves (Boys' A'Cappella), Investment Club, Jewish Student Union, Kids 4 Kids (Elementary School Tutoring), Maple Syrup Corporation, Math Team, Model United Nations, Philanthropy Society, Poetry Out Loud, Quiz Bowl, Student Activities Committee, The Dome (Literature and Arts Journal), The Green and Gray (School Newspaper), Ursa Minor (Girls' A'Capella), VOCA (Voice of Cultural Awareness),|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Established in 1907, Berkshire School is a co-ed, college preparatory boarding and day school that prepares 405 ninth-12th graders and post-graduates for a global future. Pioneering programs-such as Advanced Math/Science Research, Advanced Humanities Research, and STEAM-coexist with advanced sections and AP offerings in all disciplines. Students are encouraged to to embrace the school motto: Pro Vita Non Pro Schola Discimus, "Learning - not just for school but for life."
- School accreditations: New England Association of School and Colleges
Submit Review for Berkshire School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 84.5 miles39 School Street, P.O. Box 8000
Ashburnham, MA 01430
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.