950 S. Brehm Lane
Carbondale, IL 62901
Carbondale, IL 62901
Gr: (Boarding) 6-12, PG | 102 students
Brehm's mission is to empower students with complex learning disabilities to recognize and realize their full potential.
Brehm delivers a unique holistic educational program that fulfills the academic, social, and emotional needs of each student.
Founded in 1982, Brehm School is the only accredited junior and senior high school in the Midwest specifically designed to meet the academic, social, and emotional needs of students with complex learning disabilities and attention deficit disorder.
The Brehm Academic Curriculum is designed and implemented in accordance with the Brehm Vision and Mission. Brehm's curricula has been approved by the Illinois State Board of Education, North Central Association, and the Independent Schools Association of the Central States.
Residential life is an integral part of Brehm's education. Brehm's daily structure allows students to feel more confident and comfortable with how each day will unfold, which is the foundation of our decades of success.
The recreation program is designed to encourage students to participate in structured activities that teach them new skills. Students have fun, develop balance in their social interactions, increase their self-esteem, gain new experiences, learn to plan and set goals, increase their awareness of leisure resources, and develop culturally and emotionally.
The Brehm campus is a very special place. It is a cooperative family style environment where students discover that they share learning differences with others. Additionally, they learn not only from their instructors and tutors, but from their fellow students as well. As Brehm students learn how to learn together, they also make lifelong friends.
- Brehm School is an internationally known family-style boarding school for boys and girls, grades 6-12 with complex learning disabilities.
- Brehm offers a unique holistic program that individually addresses each student’s academic, emotional and social needs.
- At Brehm, students find success-- go on to college, find fulfilling careers and become successful entrepreneurs.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Brehm Preparatory||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||11-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||100 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||102 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||5 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Brian Taylor|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||2||14|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
|Extracurriculars||Animal Lovers, Art Club, Biking Club, Bowling & Billiards, Golf Club, Outdoor Skills, Paintball, Swimming, Volleyball|
- Brehm’s mission is to empower students with complex learning disabilities to recognize and achieve their full potential. To accomplish this mission, we place high value on:
- Student empowerment
- Strategies for interactive problem-solving
- Ongoing, open communication
- Staff development
- Continuous improvement of programs
- Financial stability
- A safe environment
- Brehm delivers a unique holistic educational program that fulfills the academic, social and emotional needs of each student. Brehm's 24/7 school is made up of an extraordinarily dedicated team of:
- Speech-Language Pathologists
- Dorm Parents
- Recreation Staff
- Registered Nurses
- LD types supported: dyslexia, ADHD/ADD, aphasia, aspergers, nonverbal learning disorders (NLD), visual processing, dyscalculia, dysgraphia, anxiety disorder, auditory processing disorder, speed of processing disorders, and dysphasia
- School accreditations: The Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), The North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
Submit Review for Brehm Preparatory School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12| 170 students 376.2 miles1701 Brandon Hall Drive
Atlanta, GA 30350
Grades: 9-12, PG | 515 students 1868.8 miles2735 Mt. Baker Road
Mill Bay, BC V0R 2P1, Canada 1
Grades: 7-12, PG| 1700 students 673.7 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.