5.00 (1 review)1014 Cave Spring Road, SW
Rome, GA 30161
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 758 students
With 26 varsity and 12 junior varsity teams, Darlington's athletic program offers something for everyone. Additional options include year-round sports academies for golf, soccer and tennis and a club rowing team.
Darlington's vibrant fine arts program features a multitude of offerings in drama and musical theater, visual arts, choral music, instrumental music, and communication arts.
Darlington's expansive curriculum includes unique offerings such as Robotics, which is supported by a MakerSpace.
Founded in 1905, Darlington School is located on a 500-acre campus in Rome, Ga., that features a small lake and six miles of wooded trails.
For students who are serious about golf, soccer or tennis, Darlington offers three specialized, year-round athletic academies that develop players to reach their maximum potential. This unique combination of intensive athletics and rigorous academics is designed to prepare students for collegiate opportunities.
Darlington School is a culturally diverse learning community, representing an average of 30 countries and 25 states each year.
Founded in 1905, Darlington School is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory school for students in pre-K through grade 12, with boarding in grades 9-12.
The school offers motivated students rigorous academics, numerous fine arts opportunities and a competitive athletics program in a nurturing environment.
Our students are the center of all that we do, and together, we empower them to learn with passion, act with integrity and serve with respect.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Vanderbilt University My experience at Darlington was excellent. I was an only child who was suddenly thrown into an environment where I had 30 brothers with whom I lived with on the floor and a roommate, whom. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Darlington School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||500 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||758 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1530 - 1940||-|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(khaki shorts/skirts and polo)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$33 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$54,860||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,255||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Derek Perkins|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mark Tunnell|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Government, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||23|
|Extracurriculars||"D" Club, "Y" Cabinet, Chess Club, Concert Club, Coosa International Tennis Academy, Coosa Junior Golf Academy, Darlington Diamonds (dance team), Darlington Players, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fitness Club, Georgia Junior Academy of Science, Governor's Honors, Honor, House Senate, IMPACT International, Instrumental, International Thespians, Intramural Sports, Jabberwokk, Jazz Club, Junior State of America, Ladies' Chorale, Lessons Academy, Math Team,|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- For over a century, students from Rome, neighboring towns in Georgia, and an average of 15 states and 20 countries have joined the Darlington family each year. Darlington's proven track record in preparing students well for college, its impressive facilities, and its wide array of academic, artistic, athletic and social opportunities make it stand out as one of the top day and boarding schools in the country. Stretching for 500 acres, Darlington`s campus is nestled around a small lake in the foothills of the Lookout Mountain Range in Rome, Georgia, a medical center and college town 65 miles northwest of Atlanta. But more significant are the friendly spirit of the school and its long history of challenging students to learn with passion, act with integrity, and serve with respect. Darlington graduates men and women who exemplify the school's motto: Wisdom more than Knowledge; Service beyond Self; Honor above Everything.
- LD types supported: Depends on testing
- School accreditations: SACS/SAIS TABS
Submit Review for Darlington School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12| 1024 students 60.1 miles171 Baylor School Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Grades: 7-12| 170 students 53.1 miles1701 Brandon Hall Drive
Atlanta, GA 30350
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.