5.00 (1 review)110 Darrow Road
New Lebanon, NY 12125
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 110 students
Sustainability is a theme integrated into all the disciplines, at all levels of the Darrow curriculum. The goal of this academic component is to help students better understand the complexity of environmental, social, and economic issues and to provide the primary orienting context for our Hands-to-Work, Community Service, and Spring Term programs.
The Joline Arts Center, which opened in 2002, contains studios dedicated to individual media including ceramics, drawing, digital design, and 'dry' photography, 'wet' photography, painting, and woodworking.
The athletic program emphasizes teamwork, fitness, and the development of specific skills. All students participate in each of the three seasons. Interscholastic teams compete in soccer, cross-country, basketball, softball, lacrosse, tennis, and Ultimate Frisbee.
Darrow students also have many opportunities to express their creativity in the arts. Students who substitute theater for an athletic activity meet daily for two hours at the end of the academic day. In addition to acting, students construct sets and work backstage on props, costumes, lighting, and stage management on three major productions each year.
Darrow's Academic Mentorship Program propels students forward, enabling them to produce their best academic work through ongoing support, feedback, and assessment. It allows each student to realize his or her scholastic potential and take full ownership of the learning process.
Darrow School, an independent, co-ed, boarding and day school in New Lebanon, NY, offers a comprehensive college-preparatory curriculum within an atmosphere that supports the pursuit of intellectual curiosity, individual creativity, and the excitement of learning.
The School has been recognized as a pioneer in the field of "hands-on learning", or active curriculum, and Darrow teachers use real-world topics and a dynamic approach to make the subject matter come alive.
Darrow`s small classes, averaging nine students, afford everyone the chance to participate.
Head of School Simon Holzapfel says, "At Darrow there is an opportunity for strong connections between students and teachers.
Teachers get to know students well, and expectations are high.
They push students to do their best in classes, athletics, and co-curricular activities.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- St. Lawrence University Darrow's most unique and positive attribute is the warm and welcoming community created by the faculty and students. The faculty are always willing to help you both academically and personally; they become more than. . .
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Darrow School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||365 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Betsy Strickler|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Fitness Club, Hands-to-Work, Instrumental, Mixed Martial Arts (MMA), Outdoor Education, Spectrum, Student Government, Students of Diversity, Theatre, Vocal Music Instruction, Yearbook, Yoga|
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||6|
|University of Washington||5|
|Savannah College of Art and Design||4|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Darrow School: Hands-on Education for More Than 80 Years
- Darrow School, an independent, co-ed, boarding and day school in New Lebanon, NY, offers a comprehensive college-preparatory curriculum with a range of courses in writing and literature, history, languages, mathematics, sciences, and the arts.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills are emphasized in all subject areas. Students learn within an atmosphere that supports the pursuit of intellectual curiosity, individual creativity, and the joy of learning.
- The School has long been recognized as a pioneer in the field of "hands-on learning," and Darrow teachers use real-world topics and a dynamic approach to capture the imagination and make the subject matter come alive.
- The beautiful mountainside campus is located on the site of the historic Mt. Lebanon Shaker Village, and Darrow continues to embrace the Shaker legacy of sustainability and stewardship.
- An important feature of the academic program is its focus on environmental, social, and economic sustainability, and students discover the value of finding balance within one`s self, the community, and global society. The National Association of Independent Schools recognized the excellence of the School`s Sustainability Program with a Leading Edge Honoree Award for curriculum innovation.
- Darrow`s small classes, averaging nine students, afford everyone the chance to participate.
- To learn more about Darrow School, contact Betsy Strickler, Director of Admission, at 518-794-6006 or visit www.darrowschool.org
- Check us out on YouTube! https://www.youtube.com/user/DarrowSchool
- LD types supported: Mild
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Submit Review for Darrow School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12, PG | 176 students 78.2 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
Grades: 8-12, PG | 125 students 28.4 milesPO Box 9
Hoosick, NY 12089
Grades: 9-12, PG | 173 students 130.6 miles92 Northwood Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.