582 Columbus Avenue
Thornwood, NY 10594
Thornwood, NY 10594
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 780 students
Whether it is for an academic field trip or a weekend getaway, students have the luxury of a 45-minute train ride into New York City.
The EF Academy 'Storm' soccer team is our most competitive team. We round out our athletic teams with basketball, tennis, girls volleyball, cross-country, golf, and mountain-biking.
Girls triple dormitory. Optional twin or single room is also available for students at an extra cost.
Daniel Wood (pictured to the left) is not only EF Academy class of 2014 but also Harvard class of 2019! Our college guidance team are next to none.
Our small class sizes allow for personal attention, especially with our teacher to student ratio being 1:15 on average.
With over 75 nationalities represented, cultural exchange is a common occurrence, even in our courtyard.
New dormitory, enrollment open for Fall 2016 - EF Academy's mission is to provide a superior education, preparation for university, and a future that knows no borders.
Located on our 98-acre woodland campus in Thornwood, New York, our school is home to over 780 students from 80 different countries around the world – all while being less than one hour away from New York City. As an official IB World School, EF Academy is accredited to grant not only the New York State Diploma, but also the world-renowned International Baccalaureate Diploma, providing our students with an opportunity to experience a rigorous and progressive academic track in addition to a unique student life and an impressive array of clubs.
Among friends and faculty from the US and around the world, EF Academy International Boarding School aims to prepare students not only for future educational success, but also to create true global citizens through critical learning and unparalleled intercultural immersion.
EF Academy also offers an unprecedented global campus rotation option among its other locations: Oxford, England; and Torbay, England.
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|EF Academy New York||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||100 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||780 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(No tank tops, no flip flops, no ripped jeans, no hats, no references to drugs/tobacco/alcohol/violence, all clothing must be of appropriate length.)
|Average Class Size||17 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||45||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Day students welcome to join weekend activities)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / Mar. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jason M. Kirschner|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lauren Utnick|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cycling, Golf, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||52||24|
|Extracurriculars||Animal Rescue Club, Appalachian Mountain Club, Art Club, Biology Club, Board Game Club, Book Club, Business Club, Cardio Club, Chemistry Club, Chess Club, Coding Club, Community Service Club, Cross Country, Debate Club, Drama Club, Environment Club, Fashion Club, Film Making Club, Garage Band, Gardening Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Glee Club, Hult Global Case Challenge, Improv Club, Insanity,|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Local Goes Global: Our students come from more than 80 countries, including the United States, while our faculty represents over 40 countries. This unique atmosphere provides students with an advantageous experience, one that enhances their worldview in addition to their resume. We emphasize areas of study such as languages, cross-cultural communication, sciences and world history; all of which are increasingly in demand in the global marketplace.
- Safe, Peaceful, Scenic Campus: Our private and secure 98-acre campus is located in in the forested town of Thornwood, New York. Boasting modern facilities; including science labs, theaters, interactive classrooms, a library, a fitness center, tennis courts, full boarding accommodations and more, our campus serves as a comfortable and productive home away from home for our students. New York City, a center of culture and learning, is a 45-minute train ride away, and the train station is less than two miles from campus (5-10 minutes by local bus or taxi).
- IB Advantage: According to the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO), students who participate in IB Programs are more than twice as likely to be accepted into the Top 50 universities in the United States. With over 30 IB course offerings, EF Academy is proud to be an IB World School. Students in EF Academy programs have earned places at top universities including: Oxford, Cambridge, University of Michigan, Columbia, University of Southern California, Columbia, St. Andrew's, NYU, UCLA, Williams College, Johns Hopkins University, University of Virgina, and UC Berkeley.
- Worldwide Leader in Education: EF Academy is a division of EF Education First, a global leader in the field of international education. Founded in 1965, EF Education First is the largest private educational organization in the world. EF`s Hult International Business School is ranked among the Financial Times` top 100 business schools. EF is also well known for its study abroad and language programs; where it has cared for and educated thousands of young people for over 50 years.
- School Accreditations: IB World School, The University of the State of New York Education Department: Certificate of High School Registration, GIBS, ACCET, AAIEP, University of Cambridge International Testing Centre.
- School accreditations: IB World school, The University of the State of New York Education Department: Certificate of High School Registration, GIBS, ACCET, AAIEP, University of Cambridge International Testing Centre
Submit Review for EF Academy New York
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12| 490 students 8.5 miles49 Clinton Avenue
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522
Grades: 6-12, PG | 140 students 33.5 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Grades: 8-12, PG | 165 students 24.9 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
Grades: 9-12 | 120 students 94.9 miles110 Darrow Road
New Lebanon, NY 12125
Grades: 7-12 | 142 students 243.6 miles9790 Thayer Street
Houghton, NY 14744