P.O. 278, 4744 James Madison Hwy
Fork Union, VA 23055
Fork Union, VA 23055
Gr: (Boarding) 7-12, PG | 535 students
The Wicker Chapel in the background is an important part of the daily routine for cadets. Chapel services and student assemblies are held during the week and on Sunday Mornings.
The one subject plan is unique to Fork Union Military Academy and provides a structured and more disciplined approach to learning.
Athletic activities are an integral part of the daily activities at FUMA. Postgraduate football has proven successful for many athletes that have left FUMA and gone to play at top colleges/universities and even in the NFL.
Parents play an important role in the success of the Academy. Parents Weeekend is held in October and provides a time for parents to visit cadets and their teachers.
The science lab provides cadets with hands on experience. The Perkins Technology Center exposes the students to computer skills.
"Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia, is a Christian, college preparatory, military-style boarding school for young men in Grades 7 through 12 and postgraduates.
Fork Union was founded in 1898 and has a rich tradition promoting character, leadership, and scholarship...".
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|Fork Union Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||1305 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||535 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1525||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$15 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$11,000||$21,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||LTC Tripp Billingsley|
|Associate Director of Admissions||CPT Spencer Percy|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Orienteering, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||24|
|Extracurriculars||A Team Color Guard, Bagpipers, Band, Battalion Staff, Boy Scouts of America, Catholic Studies, Chess Club, Choir, Chorale, Classic Cinema Club, Community Service Organization, Debate Club, Dillard Guard, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fishing Club, Honor Council, National Honor Society, Paintballing Club, Quadrille, Retan Rifles, SCUBA Club, Sports Information Dissemination Club, Table Tennis Club, Water Polo Club, Woodworking Club|
- Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, Virginia, is a Christian, college preparatory, military-style boarding school for young men in Grades 7 through 12 and postgraduates. Fork Union was founded in 1898 and has a rich tradition promoting character, leadership, and scholarship.
- Upper School students follow a unique "One-Subject Plan" of study, concentrating on a single major subject every seven weeks. Middle School students follow a traditional middle school schedule. The mission of Fork Union Military Academy is to provide young men a college preparatory education in a residential, Christian environment.
- Using the best aspects of the military system, the Academy teaches its cadets responsibility, leadership, discipline, and pride by providing an atmosphere in which spiritual, mental, and physical growth can flourish. In addition to our high-quality academics, our athletic program is outstanding. Our school has produced two Heisman Trophy winners (Vinny Testaverde and Eddie George), one Heisman Trophy finalist (Chris Perry), many professional NFL and NBA players, and Olympians.
- Fork Union Military Academy is located within the small village of Fork Union in Central Virginia on a large wooded tract of more than 1,300 acres. This rural setting provides a sanctuary from the noises and bad influences associated with larger cities and suburbs, and gives students wide open spaces for orienteering, cross country, and other outdoor activities. With fewer external distractions, our peaceful, pastoral environment is ideal for this school.Fork Union has a number of endowed scholarships that are awarded to cadets based on various qualifications such as leadership, character, academic performance, and other qualities specific to the scholarship fund.
- School accreditations: Accreditated by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools
Submit Review for Fork Union Military Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 3-8| 45 students 15.8 mi128 Oakland Farm Way
Troy, VA 22974
Grades: 9-12| 886 students 23.8 mi2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Grades: 8-12, PG | 185 students 29.3 mi1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Grades: 9-12 | 393 students 37.6 mi241 Woodberry Station
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
Grades: 9-12 | 195 students 38.3 mi273 Mayo Drive
St. George, VA 22935
January 28, 2016
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
January 25, 2016
Here are five questions the answers to which will introduce you to the world of private schools.
January 05, 2016
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.