975 West Main Street
Dover Foxcroft, ME 04426
Dover Foxcroft, ME 04426
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 423 students
The Arts are alive and prosperous at Foxcroft Academy! Take center stage, produce and direct your own film or be part of the school musical.
With over 130 courses to choose from, including AP level courses, honors course, independent studies, Foxcroft Academy has a rigorous academic program you will fit in... and can be tailored to fit your needs - science, business, technical, medical, arts or social sciences. Come explore our world.
All students of Foxcroft Academy are issued an iPad upon enrollment to accelerate and enhance their learning experience at FA. Foxcroft Academy is the first school in the state of Maine to begin such an initiative!
Residential Life is a big part for boarding students at Foxcroft Academy. Come enjoy the clean, crisp New England air as you participate in a robust Residential Life program designed to enrich your experience with us - whitewater rafting, theme parks, shopping, hiking in National parks, theater performances and many others.
Established in 1823, Foxcroft Academy is an independent day and boarding high school in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine.
FA`s student body comprises approximately 350 local day students and 100 boarding students hailing from 15 different nations.
The Academy`s extensive standards-based curriculum includes 21 accredited AP courses (10 on-site and 11 through partnership), 21 Visual and Performing Arts courses, 24 offerings in Technical Education, 5 World Language programs, 10 Computer Science options, and comprehensive Special Education services.
Foxcroft Academy`s 21 varsity athletic teams have combined to win 20 state championships.
Foxcroft Academy is accredited by New England Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and does not discriminate in its hiring or admissions process as we strive to create the ultimate global community.
Top 10 Placements:
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with > 400 students (out of 103 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Small average class sizes
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|Foxcroft Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||150 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||423 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1760||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Business Casual )
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:11||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$12 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$41,000||$46,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$7,500||$21,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Chris McGary|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ruby Canning (YOU Hsi-Wen)|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature, AP History, AP Physics, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Year:2005 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Georgia Tech University||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Location - The rural town of Dover-Foxcroft (population 4,200) is situated in an area that provides opportunities for skiing, snowboarding, white water rafting, swimming, hiking, biking, ice skating, and snowmobiling. It is 80 miles from the Atlantic Ocean, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, 10 miles from the mountains and lakes of northern Maine and 3-4 hours from Portland and Boston. Foxcroft Academy is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and a member of the Independent School Association of Northern New England, College Board and the National Association of Independent Schools.
- Academic Program - The Academy offers a challenging college-preparatory curriculum, including 142course offerings including 32 Honors Courses and 21 Advanced Placement courses,including online courses. Foxcroft Academy`s math and science programs exceed national standards and utilize state-of-the-art technology. Students in Foxcroft Academy`s well-known humanities program understand the culture of an era through a study of its history, literature, art, and music. The foreign language program includes four levels of French, Latin, Chinese and Spanish. In addition to the traditional offerings, students may take courses in music composition, web-design, art history, economics, computer-assisted drawing, personal finance, vocational subjects, and ethics. Foxcroft Academy offers a comprehensive ESL program for the international student who is planning for a university education. Students receive individual testing before placement at one of three levels of ESL, including ESL Writing. Musical education at Foxcroft Academy is more than learning to sing or play an instrument. Music is a science, a mental discipline, and an art. Students are able to participate in a variety of programs and courses of study, including orchestra and chamber ensemble, band, jazz ensemble, select choir, and percussion ensemble. Art education takes place in the modern Ebersteen Art Center, where students are engaged in everything from the study of art history to pottery and jewelry making. Foxcroft Academy has 62 staff members, including 43 faculty, and a student-faculty ratio of 16:1. The faculty is committed to fully preparing students for college and university studies. University and College Counseling - A long list of illustrious names testifies to the success Foxcroft Academy graduates have achieved in various fields, including law and medicine. One such graduate was Dr. Mary Chandler Lowell of the class of 1881, who to this date is the only known woman anywhere in the world to have earned the degrees of Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Law, and Doctor of Jurisprudence. Foxcroft graduates have gone on to such prestigious institutions as Harvard University, Boston College, Bowdoin College, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Michigan State University, Middlebury College, Northeastern University, Purdue University, New York University(NYU), Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Georgia Tech University and Yale University.
- Boarding Facilities - Students are housed in one of four residential-style dormitories, which have all modern conveniences, including wireless Internet hookups. Two Honor Dorms opened in August of 2008. A new dorm and faculty complex opened in August of 2009 and another dorm scheduled to open in the fall of 2012. This new dorm will house 18 female students, 18 male students and 4 faculty families. On school nights, structured study sessions take place between 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., with lights out by 11:00. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are provided seven days a week in the student dining hall, which features a grill with a wide selection of food to choose from. The Student Center also provides a refrigerator and microwave and snack foods for student use. A few students are placed with host families who live in proximity to the Academy. Athletics - Foxcroft Academy`s commitment to excellence extends beyond the classroom to the playing fields, where the school has a long and proud tradition in athletics. In recent years, the Academy`s wrestling, football, baseball, and cross-country teams have won multiple state and regional championships. There are nearly thirty interscholastic sports teams, both girls` and boys'. All students have an opportunity to try out for any sport they wish. In sports like football, soccer, swimming, track, cross-country, tennis, and everyone makes the team at either a varsity or junior varsity level. Programs like basketball, field hockey, softball, and baseball carry a limited squad, but even here, most students who try out make the team. Extracurricular Opportunities - Foxcroft provides a rich environment-one that is intellectually challenging in and out of the classroom. The Academy offers more than twenty clubs and student organizations, including the Latin Club, the Key Club, Asian Culture Club, the French Club, the Drama Club, and a student-run newspaper. Other opportunities include musical theater productions, dance ensembles, art showings, theater productions and marching band. Weekend Life - On Friday nights, many interscholastic sports teams have their games, and everyone cheers for the FA Ponies. Saturdays are often spent skiing or snowboarding at Hermon Mountain or Sugarloaf USA, or taking a trip to L. L. Bean, Boston, or the local YMCA for swimming. Spring and early fall provide opportunities to go to Portland, Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, and Sebec Lake. An annual trip to New York City, Boston, or Washington, D.C., is scheduled for all boarding students. Foxcroft Academy encourages students to attend a few cultural events each semester. On-campus choices include the regionally recognized fall musical, usually a well-known Broadway show such as Hello, Dolly! or Fiddler on the Roof, and a fall or spring music concert. Admissions Information - Foxcroft Academy seeks students whose academic ability, motivation, and personal integrity will contribute to the school community. The ideal FA student is one who has a willingness to contribute to and gain from the rigorous college and vocational program offerings. Admission is based upon the candidate`s school record, application essay, interview, teacher and counselor recommendations and a standardized test score such as the SSAT, SLEP, PSAT, SAT, TOEFL, or CAT. A $75 processing fee is required at the time of application. An interview is required for admissions either on campus or by phone. Quick Facts:
- SAT Score (average) 1760
- TOEFL Score (average) 92 (11th grade average)
- SLEP Score (average) 58 (entering 10th grade student)
- Number of students: 470
- Number of International Students 104
- Is ESL offered? Yes
- Student: Teacher Ratio 10:1
- School accreditations: NEASC, NAIS, ISANNE, MAIS, TABS
Submit Review for Foxcroft Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 450 students 28.2 mi295 Main Street
Pittsfield, ME 04967
Grades: 9-12 | 311 students 62.6 mi23 Union Street
Blue Hill, ME 04614
Grades: 9-12, PG | 250 students 64.4 miPO Box 257, 1614 Main St., Rte. 17
Kents Hill, ME 04349
Grades: 9-12 | 585 students 79.8 mi81 Academy Hill
Newcastle, ME 04553
2075633596, ext. 10879.89-12585
Grades: 9-12, PG| 256 students 87.8 miP.O. Box 309
6-12, PG (day)
Hebron, ME 04238
6-12, PG (day)
January 28, 2016
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
January 25, 2016
Here are five questions the answers to which will introduce you to the world of private schools.
January 05, 2016
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.