5.00 (4 reviews)P.O. Box 5555
Middleburg, VA 20118
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 151 students
- Foxcroft School is a girls boarding and day school for grades 9 -12 and Post Graduate, that offers a strong college-preparatory program in a challenging and supportive academic atmosphere.
- Located on a beautiful 500-acre campus in Middleburg, Virginia, Foxcroft is only an hour`s drive from Washington, D.C. Foxcroft was founded in 1914 by Charlotte Haxall Noland.
- Miss Charlotte, as she was called by the students, valued determination, courage, and character.
- She sought to establish a school that would instill in its graduates high purpose, leadership, integrity, and understanding at the same time as it provided a community and experience that the students would love.
- Miss Charlotte's values and her spirit continue to influence the School today.
- Foxcroft is, by design, a small, residential school with 151 students with 73 percent boarders from 18 states, 13 countries and the District of Columbia.
- Thirty percent of the student body receives financial aid, which totals more than $1.6 million annually.
- Nearly 86 percent of the faculty and administrators live on campus, providing easy access for out-of-class experiences and the core of a caring community.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Gettysburg College Located a short 10-minute drive from the luxurious small town of Middleburg, VA; Foxcroft School is the heart of a place that makes positive upbringing of their students the center of their priority. With special. . .
- Lynchburg College Foxcroft School is a place of sisterhood and traditions, which is pretty fitting seeing as it just celebrated 100 years in 2014. There are many traditions that stems from years of culture and beliefs. The. . .
- UCLA First of all this is an all girls boarding school with very rich tradition and uniqueness of the Fox-hound community that creates a very strong between friends and school faculty. This bond forms a family. . .
- University of Southern California Foxcroft School is unique in that it provides an all-girl educational environment that allows girls to freely express themselves without having to worry about what other boys might think. Girls are encouraged to become leaders. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Foxcroft School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||500 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||151 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$71 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,500||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Gina B. Finn|
Patrick M. Finn
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||16|
|Courses||Advanced Placement Biology, Advanced Placement Calculus AB, Advanced Placement Calculus BC , Advanced Placement Chemistry, Advanced Placement English Language, Advanced Placement English Literature, Advanced Placement French Language, Advanced Placement Macroeconomics, Advanced Placement Physics C: Mechanics, Advanced Placement Spanish Language, Advanced Placement Spanish Literature , Advanced Placement Statistics, Advanced Placement United States Government and Politics, Advanced Placement United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||23|
|Extracurriculars||Activities Committee, Afternoon Delights (singing), Art Club, Astronomy Club, Athletic Association, Banneker Buddies, Blue Planet Society, CAPS Tour Guides, Chimera Literary Magazine, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Chorale, Coffee House, Cooking Club, Current Events Club, Drama Club, Float Committee, Fox / Hound Officers, Foxcroft Christian Fellowship, International Club, Lab Rats, Math Club, Middleburg Humane Foundation, Octet, Outing Club, RhythmNation,|
|Year: 2006 - 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of Charleston||9|
|James Madison University||9|
|University of Virginia||6|
|The College of William and Mary||5|
|University of the South||5|
|High Point University||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The School is small, but its program is large. Foxcroft`s curriculum meets the needs of students` varying interests and abilities and offers a very wide variety of electives. Students are currently enrolled in 79 different courses, including 15 Advanced Placement courses. With a studentfaculty ratio of 6:1, students are able to work closely with their teachers. The small class size the average class size is 12-- means that no student goes unnoticed. The Foxcroft academic program is further enriched by special events such as Wintermission, which offers a week of experiential classes and/or trips. Past themes have been the Arctic and Antarctic (with a trip to Antarctica), the environment (with a trip to the Amazon rain forest in Peru), and Southeast Asia (with a trip to Vietnam). The Paul Bergan Poetry Festival, Alison Goodyear Fellowship and Helen Niblack Lecture Series bring noted poets, artists, academicians, and other speakers to campus annually.
- Girls succeed academically at Foxcroft because of the quality of our curriculum and the close attention of our faculty. But they thrive here intellectually, socially, and personally because this is a close community which they quickly come to love. We have made a major commitment to our students by hiring Housemothers whose sole responsibility is the well-being of the girls in their dormitory homes. Foxcroft is truly a residential community; every student, even day students, have a dorm room and bed on campus. In addition, nearly 86% of the faculty and administration live on campus. Foxcroft has five dormitories. In addition to having dedicated teams of 4 dorm parents, each dormitory has two seniors as student leaders and counselors and two or three juniors to assist them. Each dorm has a living room, dedicated sleeping areas, and kitchen and laundry facilities. Housemothers are in constant contact with teachers and the Office of Student Life. In addition, each girl establishes a special, unique relationship with her faculty advisor. The close rapport that develops manifests itself in many ways: shared meals in the Dining Room or in the advisor's home, attendance at a game or play, formal meetings or just casual conversations. Advisors and teachers speak to parents on a regular basis about girls they know on many levels. Taken together these things create an exceptional community where girls grow in knowledge, in wisdom, and in compassion, and where they feel safe to take the risks that help them develop into leaders.
- Years before Title IX and the fitness boom, Miss Charlotte made a "healthy body" part of the School's philosophy. In keeping with the School`s motto, every student is required to take part in athletics throughout the year. In addition to nine interscholastic team sports (basketball, cross-country, field hockey, lacrosse, riding, soccer, softball, tennis and volleyball), the Physical Education program offers a variety of non-competitive activities, including dance, rock climbing, yoga and conditioning. Teams compete in the all-Virginia Delaney Athletic Conference and against other schools in D.C., Virginia and Maryland. In the Spring of 2010, Foxcroft opened a $14 million, 47,500 square foot Athletic/Student Center. This beautiful new facility includes a competition gym, a double gym, a rock-climbing wall, a fitness room, a trainer's room, a mezzanine-level track, a dance studio, team rooms, a student center, a game room, a kitchen, and a snack room.
- Foxcroft has many clubs and student organizations, including Activities Committee, Art Club, Astronomy, Athletic Association, Blue Planet Society (environment and recycling), Community Service, Cooking Club, Current Events and Debate, International Club, and Christian Fellowship. There are three singing groups: Octet, Afternoon Delights, and Soggie Cheerios. Student publications include "Chimera" (literary magazine) and "Tally-Ho!" (yearbook).
- The tradition of giving back is a cornerstone of Foxcroft School. Our commitment to involvement in and meaningful service to the community is reflected in an array of student-run organizations, community service opportunities and special ad hoc efforts, limited only by students' busy schedules. In recent years, for instance, students have organized fund-raisers in response to the earthquake in Haiti and the wildfires in California. The Junior Class organizes a Walk-a-thon and selects a charity to receive funds raised each year, for example the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation ($36,000 raised) and the Pediatric AIDS Unit of a hospital in Ghana, Africa ($10,000). Every grade, club and advisory group also participates in at least one self-selected service activity per year. In addition, several times a year, the entire Foxcroft community takes time out to "give back." Students and faculty, working side by side, may prepare food baskets for the needy, pick up litter on Foxcroft Road, sort out clothing for homeless women, or assemble decorations to brighten the homes of the elderly. Or they may care for their campus home by painting the Animal Room, cleaning outdoor furniture or organizing costumes, library books, and school mailings.
- At Foxcroft, weekends are a special time to relax and have fun. On a typical Friday, there are on-campus movies and food at the student-run snack bar or dinner at a local restaurant. In addition, faculty members are available to chaperone our numerous weekend activities. Such trips may include the mall, movies, Washington's Kennedy Center for theater, mixers, dinners, amusement parks or a ski resort. If an activity is held at another school, Foxcroft provides transportation and chaperones for students who are interested in attending. On Sunday, students may take the bus into Middleburg to attend church services at local churches or to do some shopping in town.
- During their eleventh grade year, students meet formally with the College Counselor to begin discussing their college plans. They receive guidance on course selection, extracirricular activities, and PSAT preparation. All sophomores and juniors take the PSAT in October. Approximately 40 colleges send representatives to Foxcroft for information sessions each fall. Both juniors and seniors are encouraged to attend meetings with the colleges that are of interest to them. With the help of the College Counselor, each student begins compiling a list of colleges to research in the winter of her junior year, although the College Counselor is available to assist students and families who wish to begin the search earlier. Throughout the college admission process, the College Counseling Office provides information and workshops on topics such as evaluating colleges, writing application essays, visiting college campuses, interviewing, and preparing for standardized testing.
- School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS, NCGS
Submit Review for Foxcroft School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 03, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
February 03, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
February 03, 2017
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.