5.00 (1 review)PO Box 860
Bethel, ME 04217
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 255 students
A rigorous academic curriculum is at the core of the Gould Academy experience. Our students are innovators, creators, risk-takers, and complex problem solvers.
With 11 Steinway pianos on campus, Gould holds the All Steinway School distinction, shared with other schools such as the Yale School of Music and the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. Through state-of-the-art technology, Gould also offers a distance learning program in partnership with the Manhattan School of Music.
Our beautiful 456 acre campus in the heart of the western Maine mountains is a gateway to outdoor experiential learning, research, and play. The Bethel, Maine downtown is a gem offering coffee shops, restaurants, and retailers all within walking distance of campus.
From painting to blacksmithing, Gould offers an incredible array of visual art courses. Continue your artistic passions or discover the artist within you that you never knew was there. Art students go on to study at the Savannah College of Art and the Rhode Island School of Design.
Our mountain biking and road cycling programs are second none. So are our trails accessible from campus.
Rock climbing, hiking, ice climbing canoeing and variety of other outdoor experiences abound in the White Mountains.
Gould Academy offers the only Ski Patrol Program recognized by the National Ski Patrol. Once our students earn their 'jackets,' they are certified to work for the National Ski Patrol at any mountain in the U.S.
Collaboration is a required and sought after skill in the 21st century work place. Our students graduate with a keen understanding of how to be independent thinkers within the context of teamwork. The result is powerful.
- Gould Academy is more than a 9- 12 independent college prep school.
- It`s a place where students participate actively in shaping their education by taking advantage of opportunities that extend beyond the classroom.
- The result is a co-created, individualized educational experience with active mentoring through multimodal learning.
- These modalities include experiential learning and international travel through Gould`s Four Point Program, partnerships with outside resources like Gould`s distance learning partnership with the Manhattan School of Music, and Gould`s IDEAS Center where students collaborate, design and build their ideas and put them into action.
- At Gould students are both supported and challenged as they discover and foster their own interests in a creative and disciplined manner.Located in Bethel, Maine, Gould students have the multiple advantages of living in a lively New England village with access to Sunday River Ski Resort.
- With structured athletic on-snow programs, avenues for recreation, and opportunities to appreciate the natural world, Sunday River is an important learning venue for all students.
- In an environment that values both individuality and community, Gould students earn the confidence, self-direction and capacity for global thinking that equips them for purposeful lives of active citizenship and self-defined success in our world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stetson University Gould Academy's four-point program is what sets it apart from other schools. This program is defined by what each grade does during the weeks between 2nd trimester and Spring break. Grade 9 embarks on an. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Gould Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||11-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||456 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||255 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$14 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Andrew R. Bishop|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Rebecca Andreozzi|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Guvernment Comparative, Honors Senior Math(topics include Calculus BC), Physics, Stastistics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||23|
|Extracurriculars||Band, Blue Key, Chorus, Community Service Club, Drama Club, Farm and Forest, Gould Goes Green, On-Snow Instructing Program, Outing Club, Polar Bear Club, Recreational Skiing, Recreational Snowboarding, Rock Climbing, Skateboarding, Strength Training, Winter Emergency Care, Yearbook|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
We know and respect that we have the greatest window of opportunity to make life changing connections with each student:
- to encourage creative and conceptual thinking
- to teach problem solving
- to advance social maturity
- to present physical and mental challenges
- to expand a student's world view It's the time to connect. We do it in the classroom, the lab, in the mountains, in the dorm, while traveling throughout the world and while serving our local community. The high school years are a critical period, a defining moment in every young adult`s life.At Gould, it is our enduring commitment to connect with each student to achieve his or her academic and personal best - from our first welcome on campus to the last handshake at graduation.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia / Language-based or Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS
Submit Review for Gould Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 250 students 38.9 milesPO Box 257, 1614 Main St., Rte. 17
Kents Hill, ME 04349
Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 25.1 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.