222 Isaac Frye Highway
Wilton, NH 03086
Wilton, NH 03086
Tel: (603)654-9409 x 103
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 120 students
On the Hill, learning continues outside of the classroom: in the afternoon there are many extracurricular and athletics opportunities; in May, students and faculty embark on two-week immersive experiences during Projects Block; and throughout the year High Mowing's festivals and traditions promote a culture of inclusivity, a respect for diversity, and a reverence for life.
Waldorf Education brings age-appropriate content and methods to each stage of a child's development. The Waldorf approach recognizes human beings as three-fold in nature consisting of a mind, spirit, and body and educates that entire being in preparation for a life of meaning and purpose.
The High Mowing curriculum is a well-rounded college preparatory experience that prepares our students for lives of meaning and purpose.Our curriculum, based in the wisdom of Waldorf pedagogy, is enriched by a team of talented and experienced teachers, rooted in a place of stunning natural beauty, and informed by over 70 years of tradition.
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|High Mowing School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||250 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||120 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Molly Reeve|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Liz McSweeney|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Freestyle Skiing, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Orienteering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||5||23|
|Extracurriculars||All School Play, Hatha Yoga, Rock Climbing, Sinfonietta, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Year: 2011 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Atlantic||7|
|Savannah College of Art and Design||4|
|University of New Hampshire||3|
|Berklee College of Music||2|
- High Mowing is the oldest Waldorf boarding and day high school in North America. In 1942, Mrs. Beulah Emmet, inspired by the work and thought of Rudolf Steiner, converted her family country home into a Waldorf high school. The charming hilltop farm ideally suited the warm, home-like atmosphere she sought for her students, and it even suggested the school`s name (mowing is an old New England term for "hayfield"). Since that time, High Mowing has offered teenagers the unique combination of Waldorf education and community living (9th to 12th Grade).
- In the 1970s, the school formed a partnership with Pine Hill Waldorf School (an elementary Waldorf school now located just across the road) to offer a complete K-12 Waldorf program in Wilton, New Hampshire.
- School accreditations: Accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC) and the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA), A member in good standing of The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), the Association of Independent Schools of New England (AISNE)
Submit Review for High Mowing School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 94.7 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
Grades: 9-12 | 153 students 17.2 miles18 Lehmann Way, PO Box 522
Dublin, NH 03444
January 12, 2017
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
January 10, 2017
Boarding schools have their own jargon just like any activity or affinity group has.
January 04, 2017
There's a lot involved in selecting the right boarding school. Don't forget these ten important things when you apply.