5.00 (3 reviews)616 High Street
Bath, ME 04530
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 150 students
<a href='http://www.hyde.edu/campus-life/'>Campus Life</a> Campus life at Hyde is all about being an active and engaged member of the community. An emphasis on character–courage, integrity, leadership, curiosity, and concern—provides the cornerstone for learning—in the classrooms, dormitories, the arts, and on the athletic fields.
<a href='http://www.hyde.edu/hydestories/'>Hyde Stories</a> Hyde Stories are thirteen intimate, personal interviews with recent Hyde private boarding school alumni, parents, faculty, and staff. Each reveals a distinctive aspect of Hyde's unique education.
<a href='http://www.hyde.edu/academics/'>Academics</a> Hyde's academic program builds skills and develops confidence. Ninety-eight percent of Hyde students attend four-year colleges.
<a href='http://www.hyde.edu/arts/'>Visual/Performing Arts</a> Hyde students all participate in visual or performing arts. The arts program allows students to express their creativity, appreciate the world around them, enhance public speaking and presentation skills, and take pride in their work.
Concern for others is at the center of Hyde's principles, and our students are engaged in community service on many levels. Our students participate in programs such as the American Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, Big Brothers Big Sisters, blood drives, fundraising and work in local homeless shelters and soup kitchens.
<a href='http://www.hyde.edu/athletics/'>Athletics</a> All students participate in three sports during the academic year. Hyde Schools athletic programs offer seasoned athletes, novice athletes, and athletes whose abilities fall somewhere in between an opportunity to explore leadership potential by developing skills that can help them become effective problem-solvers, strategists, and strong team players.
<a href='http://www.hyde.edu/admission/international-program/'>International Program</a> The International Program at Hyde Schools offers students from all over the world a true American immersion experience. Our private boarding campuses in Bath, Maine, and Woodstock, Connecticut are centers for outstanding college-preparatory academics, leadership opportunities, athletic participation, arts and theater, and much more.
- HYDE SCHOOL, the leader in character education, are a network of college preparatory private and public schools, with boarding schools in Bath, Maine and Woodstock, Connecticut, serving students in grades 9-12 and postgraduate studies.
- Hyde offers a wide range of courses, including AP, Honors, Summer and Orientation programs.
- At Hyde School, academics are only part of what we teach.
- Students get the tools they need to prosper and grow in this challenging world.
- That’s because our approach to education is entirely different.
- Our teachers focus on helping students reveal their character and develop the confidence they need to succeed in high school, college and beyond.
- And the way we teach is different, too.
- We offer leadership opportunities to all students as well as a dynamic leadership track for eligible students.
- And, unlike any other school, we involve parents and the entire school community in the discovery process.
- As a result, Hyde students and families strive to realize their fullest potential and are uniquely prepared to navigate the tough choices they face in everyday life.
- Hyde School -Be the Best Possible You; HYDE.edu.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Denison University I came to Hyde on the heels of my older brother, who had enrolled two years earlier. It was an interesting transition from public school, where passive obedience is rewarded, to Hyde where everyone. . .
- University of Mary Washington Character and family development is like no other in the world. . .
- Gettysburg College Hyde School is not just a school. It is a life changing experience. It is a family of dedicated people who give more than you can ever imagine or comprehend when you're there as a. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Hyde School - Bath,||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||11-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||145 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||150 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1608||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1360 - 1810||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||8||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$19,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kevin Folan|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Alexandra McCormick|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||8||16|
|Courses||Calculus AB, Calculus BC, English Composition, Environmental Science, Physics, Statistics, Studio Art, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
|Extracurriculars||Big/Little Siblings, Boat-building, Community Service Club, Mobile Food Truck, Public speaking, Residental Dorm Captains, Ropes Course, Singer-songwriter workshop and Nashville trip with world-renowned musicians, Tech Production, Teen workshops delivered nationally, Ultimate Frisbee, Wilderness Leadership Experience, Yearbook|
- Located in the quaint and historic shipbuilding city of Bath, Maine, on the Kennebec River, the Hyde School campus was founded in 1966. Formerly the estate of shipbuilder John S. Hyde, the sprawling 145-acre New England estate includes the historic Hyde Mansion and carriage house, which houses classrooms and offices. The Hyde grounds feature the Wheeler Library & Academic Wing and an all-inclusive athletic center with field house, wrestling room, entertainment center, weight and cardio rooms. The Student Learning Center, built in 2006, houses a 5400-square-foot library, a resource center, computer laboratory, and comfortable classrooms, some of which overlook the picturesque campus grounds. Classrooms include interactive plasma displays, known as Smart Boards. The Student Union houses a 600-seat performing arts center, a 350-seat dining hall, the campus mailroom, and a state-of-the-art music studio where students write and record original music. Campus also includes the 1915 Sunken Garden, Health Center, bookstore, and café, the Student Cultural Center, the Spiritual Center, three playing fields, including a turf field, an all-weather track, indoor tennis and basketball courts, and several dormitories. Year-round, students and faculty enjoy miles of wooded running, bicycling, and cross-country skiing trails that extend beyond the campus. Hyde students also enjoy running, biking, and cross-country ski trails, state-of-the-art music recording studio, climbing wall, and ice skating ponds. The Joseph W. Gauld Student Life and Athletic Center Complex, built in 2006, provides multiple options for athletes, including a climbing wall, and comfortable gathering spaces in the café, entertainment room, or gracious foyer, which is equipped with a stone fireplace.
- LD types supported: Yes - LD & ADD/ADHD
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Inc.; National Association of Independent Schools; Maine Association of Independent Schools; Independent School Association of Northern New England
Submit Review for Hyde School - Bath, ME
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 57.2 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
Grades: 9-12, PG | 250 students 35.6 milesPO Box 257, 1614 Main St., Rte. 17
Kents Hill, ME 04349
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.