5.00 (2 reviews)190 Woodward Drive
Indian Springs, AL 35124
Gr: (Boarding) 8-12 | 309 students
At Indian Springs students and faculty work together in a model of 'shared governance'. A school constitution explains their responsibilities in the day-to-day operation of the school. Our school is our town. The student government is the shared voice in determining how the school operates and evolves.
Whether with a lens or a paint brush, creative expression is encouraged. At Springs, creativity is at the center of everything we do. Students can find their role in the one of ten plays produced every year or pursue their passion for guitar in a contemporary music class.
Indian Springs is also proud of tradition of choral excellence. What our choirs sing in a state-of-the art concert hall one evening they could be performing around the world the following day. Choral music has a long and outstanding reputation at Indian Springs. Our students have shared their talents with audiences in China, France, and Romania.
Unique class schedules crafted for each student and a wide range of independent study opportunities allow students to test their own limits and to push themselves to heights we know they can achieve. We have a comprehensive core curriculum and electives that allow students to explore their individual interests at the same time that they challenge themselves intellectually and academically.
At Indian Springs athletics is as much about courage on the field as it is excitement on the sidelines. Whether you are racing down the court on fast break or cheering on the game-winning goal, athletics bring together committed players, exceptional coaches, and excited fans. Indian Springs students are proud of their school, and their spirit unites the community.
Students from across the street and around the world make an ideal boarding community because both share something: personal experiences. What makes Indian Springs special is its diversity. Boarding builds bridges between people and cultures, creating opportunities for new styles of learning, understanding, and growth.
Take a drive through the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains to a 350-acre campus fifteen minutes from Birmingham, Alabama. What makes Indian Springs School so unique is that it has the beauty, intimacy, and security of a small town setting just minutes from the quality of life only a city can offer.
- With 309 students, Indian Springs School is large enough to offer a diverse, award winning AP curriculum, and small enough to allow each individual to be well-known and appreciated.
- It is a community tolerant of all social, political and religious upbringings.
- Very bright, open-minded students play a significant role in defining the school's policies and character through a strong student government.
- Demanding and beloved faculty, many with doctoral degrees, expect students to be engaged both in and out of the classroom.
- The outstanding music and drama program offer many opportunities for performance through the year.
- Service and academic clubs are a vital component of each student`s experience.
- Played with passion, sports are available to students of all abilities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Harvard University Springs is an amazing school. Not only for its amazing campus, but also because of the sense of community that it offers from the beginning, everyone knows each other well and that helps to build. . .
- Boston College All classes at ISS are very small. The administration make sure the average class size is around 15 per class. As a result, everybody gets the personal attention they need. Also, most of the faculty. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 327 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Indian Springs||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||350 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||309 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2010||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1850 - 2090||-|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$12 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$49,850||$47,400|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$11,250||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Claire Cassady|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Christine Copeland|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||23|
|Extracurriculars||African American Student Caucus, AJNA, Amnesty International Club, Asian Club, Chamber, Chess Club, Computer Club, Concert Club, Cooking Club, Drama Club, Fencing Club, French Club, Gordon - official school newspaper, Habitat for Humanity, Heritage Panel & Make a Change, Key Club, Multi-Cultural Club, Music Ensemble, Nautical Club, Outdoors Club, Recycling Club, Scholar's Bowl, Spanish Club, Spirit Club, Yearbook|
|Year: 2011 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Harvey Mudd College||0|
|University of Alabama||0|
|University of Michigan||0|
|Wake Forest University||0|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1952 as an experiment in faculty-student governance and partnership, Indian Springs School still provides a model that says small is good, that the individual has worth, and that good citizenship is the prerequisite to good leadership. In the 19th century, writers such as Emile Durkheim and Charles Dickens warned that perhaps the greatest danger to an individual in modern urban life was anonymity. More than ever, that insight is true today. A person`s teenage years are absolutely critical to the healthy development of a feeling of self-worth. Even for an introspective person, this is a development that takes place most readily in the context of a true community. At Indian Springs, we are a community of students and teachers who want to know each other, interact with one another, and learn together.
- School accreditations: SAIS-SACS
Submit Review for Indian Springs School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12| 1024 students 145.8 miles171 Baylor School Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.