7 Campus Center, PO Box 188
Meriden, NH 03770
Meriden, NH 03770
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 340 students
Musical theater is just one of the many arts offerings Kimball Union offers in ourstate of the art Flickinger Arts Center .
Founded in 1813, Kimball Union Academy is the fifteenth-oldest boarding school in the country.
Kimball Union's location and its proximity to Dartmouth College make it the preferred choice for students seeking an educational experience that integrates a traditional preparatory curriculum with innovative programs and cutting-edge technology.
Kimball Union balances a challenging, dynamic curriculum with excellent programs in both athletics and the arts.
Located in Meriden, New Hampshire, the Academy's 1,300-acre rural campus is two hours from Boston, Massachusetts, and Hartford, Connecticut.
Nearby bus, train, and plane terminals link the area directly with Boston, New York City, and Manchester, New Hampshire.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Kimball Union||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||1300 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||340 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1740||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1530 - 1950||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$23 million||$16 million|
(Inclusive of Books)
(Inclusive of Books)
|Tuition international students||$61,700||$47,425|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,635||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||45||-|
|Director of Admissions||Lindsey Ratliff|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kevin Ramos-Glew|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP Language and Composition, AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition, AP Mandarin Chinese , AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History, AP World History, Multivariable Calculus|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||49||23|
|Extracurriculars||Architecture Club, Art Activity, Classical Music Ensemble, Concordians A Capella, Crew, Dance Club, Day Student Proctor, Daycare volunteer, Economics Club, Elva's Bells- Female A Capella, Environment Club, Equestrian Club, Fall Play, Fire Brigade, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Hilltoppers- Male A Capella, Instructional Golf, Instructional Skiing, International Student Club, Jazz Club, Library Monitors, Literary magazine, Math Team, Model UN, Orange Key Tour Guides,|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of New Hampshire||10|
|St. Lawrence University||9|
|University of Vermont||9|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1813, Kimball Union Academy is the 15th oldest boarding school in the United States and a preferred choice for students seeking a traditional preparatory education that integrates innovative academic programs and cutting-edge technology. We balance our challenging, dynamic curriculum with excellent programs in athletics and the arts. Each student has the opportunity to discover and develop their passions while preparing for college and beyond.
- Our beautiful 1300 acre-campus is in the picturesque village of Meriden, NH, 20 minutes from Dartmouth College. Bus, train, and plane terminals link us directly with Boston, New York City, and Manchester, New Hampshire. KUA offers over 100 courses in disciplines including English, History, Mathematics, Science, French, Spanish, Mandarin, Latin, and Visual & Performing Arts (including19 Advanced Placement (AP) and honors courses in every subject area). The average class size is 12 with a student-faculty ratio of 6:1. Kimball Union`s Learning Center is staffed with highly-qualified learning specialists and tutors prepared to help each student find their path to success.
- At KUA, technology provides a launching point for innovative instruction and a transformative educational experience. That begins with SMART Boards in every classroom and the KUA 1-to-1 Laptop Program that puts a laptop in every student`s hands.
- An extensive array of performing and visual arts is offered both within the curriculum and as extra-curricular activities in our spectacular Flickinger Arts Center. After the class day, students may participate in arts activities including pottery, dance, and theater. Students may also choose from a variety of community service offerings. Our Environmental Club, award-winning S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) team, and Economics Club attract many students. Leadership opportunities are available to every student, including school governance, mentoring, and involvement with clubs and organizations.
- KUA`s athletic offerings include hockey, alpine, Nordic and freestyle skiing, snowboarding, basketball, cycling, mountain biking, field hockey, lacrosse, equestrian, soccer, baseball, softball, rugby, cross country, tennis, golf, and fitness training.
- We offer in-depth social programs and foster a strong sense of community. The Upper Valley region, enhanced by neighboring Dartmouth College, provides countless opportunities to extend learning outside the traditional classroom setting on our campus and beyond.
- Facilities include a modern dining hall and campus center, a beautiful arts center, newly- updated SMART classrooms with state-of-the art technology, an environmental science center and greenhouse, athletic center and hockey arena, indoor and outdoor turf fields, fitness center, tennis courts, library, multi-media classroom, and technology labs.
- Kimball Union`s highly qualified and dedicated faculty is committed to serving our students and families. Our faculty members get to know each individual student in the classroom, as dorm parents, coaches, and mentors. These close relationships and the individual growth our students experience during their time here are hallmarks of a Kimball Union education.
- Kimball Union`s mission is to "-prepare students for the challenges of tomorrow`s world by inspiring academic mastery, creativity, responsibility, and leadership." Members of our community are guided by our Honor Code, which reflects our core value and promotes honesty, compassion, and mutual respect.
- LD types supported: Teaching and Learning Center
- School accreditations: NEASC
Submit Review for Kimball Union Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 65.2 miles39 School Street, P.O. Box 8000
Ashburnham, MA 01430
Grades: 9-12, PG | 650 students 61.4 milesOne Lamplighter Way
Mount Hermon, MA 01354
Grades: 9-12, PG | 360 students 22.8 miles204 Main Street - P.O. Box 500
Andover, NH 03216
Grades: 9-12, PG | 358 students 52.5 miles80 Academy Drive
Wolfeboro, NH 03894
(603) 569-720052.59-12, PG358
Grades: 9-12, PG | 257 students 34 miles30 School Street
Tilton, NH 03276
October 14, 2016
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
September 19, 2016
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
September 14, 2016
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.