1400 Lowell Road
Concord, MA 01742
Concord, MA 01742
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 395 students
Founded in 1901, and located in one of this country's most historic towns, Concord, Massachusetts, Middlesex aspires to help its students "find their promise" through immersion in a rigorous academic program, inclusive extracurricular programs in arts and athletics, and a commitment to service. Middlesex students are exposed to a breadth and depth of opportunities typically found at only a much larger school.
Over 145 classes include five languages, a much emulated Writing Program, and over 40 advanced and AP sections that wil stretch students intellectually as they pursue academic passions.
At Middlesex, everyone engages in cocurricular life, participating in a thriving arts program (including a third of the school performing via vocal, instrumental or dramatic groups) that ofters opportunities for the beginner to high-end artist; similarly, each student participates in athletics, and we have a home for both the elite athlete and those new to team sports.
All of this work takes place in a community strengthened by our shared commitment to five core values: honesty, respect, kindness, gratitude, and courage.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Review #1 - Class of 2016Brown University The two primary aspects that I believe differentiate Middlesex (MX) from other independent schools are its class schedule and. . .
- Review #2 - Class of 2015Cornell University The first unique aspect of Middlesex that comes to mind is our plaque tradition. It is and always has. . .
- Review #3 - Class of 2015Harvard College An aspect of Middlesex that truly sets it apart from other boarding schools is the strong relationships formed between the. . .
- Review #4 - Class of 2014Amherst One aspect of Middlesex that makes it unique is the sense of community that exists between students, faculty, staff, and. . .
- Review #5 - Class of 2013Stanford University One big thing that differentiates Middlesex from other boarding schools is the strength of its writing and English program. Middlesex's. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Middlesex School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||350 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||395 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2108||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$236 million||$16 million|
(No additional fees)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$45,200||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||86||-|
|Director of Admissions||Douglas C. Price|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||16|
|Courses||AP Art History , AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP Government and Politics, AP Latin ( Vergil), AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||68||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alumni Ambassador, Amnesty International Club, Animation Club, Astronomy Club, Bateman's Bullfrogs, Bonsai Club, Chess Club, Children's Play, Chorus, Circle of Women, Common Sense (Environmental Organization), Community Service Club, Contemporary Chamber Ensemble, Cooking Club, Cowboys' Lunch, Diversity Club, Divine Visions (Step Dance), Fancy Dress Friday, Finance Club, Fishing Club, Freedom of Speech, French Club, Frisbee Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Horror Movie Club,|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Chicago||13|
- Middlesex School Mission and History
- Frederick Winsor wanted the school he founded in 1901 to be distinct from the boarding schools of the time, and from its beginnings, Middlesex School has occupied a unique place in the independent school landscape. It is a non-sectarian School with a positive sense of tradition and mission. It is a school with small-school intimacy and big-school opportunity, a school that early on sought students from every part of the country through a National Scholarship Program. As it has grown, Middlesex has broadened its national and international reach while always benefiting from its local surroundings-the human and cultural capital of the Boston/Cambridge area. Middlesex School, both in the present and in the past, has preferred capacity in many areas to specialization in one. We believe a transparent and familiar community is an ethical community. We believe in our students. From the start, Winsor`s mission was to "find the promise that lies hidden" in every student, and that message of individuality, hope, and possibility guides us today. Our campus, designed by the Olmsted Brothers firm, remains centered on its iconic circle. We are fortunate to live in a beautiful setting that naturally brings our paths and our lives together. Radiating from a common sense of place and purpose, Middlesex continues to prepare its students for a changing world. We have evolved in many ways since our founding over a century ago. We have undergone renovation, conservation, expansion, and constant transition in person and place. Yet our buildings, our fields, our programs, and our ethos still cleave to a human scale fostering collegiality and contact. Despite the school`s continuous transformation, our mission, with our students at the center, remains the same.
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
Submit Review for Middlesex School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 650 students 62.8 miles7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
Grades: 9-12, PG | 1150 students 16.1 miles180 Main Street
Andover, MA 01810
Grades: 8-12 | 381 students 13.1 miles282 Farmers Row, Box 991
Groton, MA 01450
Grades: 9-12, PG | 862 students 102.8 miles333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
Grades: 9-12, PG | 598 students 112.4 miles11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
(860) 435-3102112.49-12, PG598
October 14, 2016
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
September 19, 2016
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
September 14, 2016
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.