5.00 (3 reviews)170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 700 students
Students can choose from 30 interscholastic teams and seven intramural athletic offerings, including ultimate frisbee, strength training and yoga.
Milton’s orchestra includes over 115 musicians. The Chamber Orchestra and Chamber Singers travel during spring break to perform in places like Prague, England, Ireland, Italy and China.
The typical class size at Milton is 14 students. Classes meet around the Harkness table, where students and faculty share dialogue, inquiry and reflection.
Milton Academy cultivates in its students a passion for learning and a respect for others.
Embracing diversity and the pursuit of excellence, we create a community in which individuals develop competence, confidence and character.
Our active learning environment, in and out of the classroom, develops creative and critical thinkers, unafraid to express their ideas, prepared to seek meaningful lifetime success and to live by our motto, "Dare to be true.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Pennsylvania Milton is a place where everyone takes an active role in cultivating students, in academics, athletics, art, and as a citizen of the world. There is a deep sense of community and the teachers take. . .
- Duke University Having large populations of both day and boarding students is beneficial to both groups. The boarding students add an immense amount of geographic diversity and with that, different perspectives on issues discussed and learned about. . .
- Columbia University Milton effortlessly straddles two ideals in boarding school education: offering a nurturing home away from home for students while at the same offering a great amount of independence. No matter what you want to. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Milton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||125 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||700 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2080||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$255 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||90||-|
|Director of Admissions||Paul Rebuck|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||24||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||63||23|
|Extracurriculars||A/V (Audio/Visual) Club, Ache (celebrating diverse culture magazine), AIDS Board, Amnesty International Club, Animation Club, Arts Board, Asian Society, Athletic Association, Boarding Council, CARE (Campus Awareness for Recycling and the Environment), Caribbean Club, Cartoon Club, Celtic Club, Christian Fellowship Club, Common Ground, Community Service Club, Culinary Club, Day Council, Film Club, French Club, GAIA (environmental journal), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Gender Equity Club, Habitat for Humanity, Helix (science magazine),|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Eight miles south of Boston, Milton is enriched by its diverse and talented student and faculty community as well as by the quality, breadth and depth of its curricular and co-curricular offerings.
- Life at Milton centers on the pursuit of excellence. Milton`s curriculum provides rigorous preparation for college and includes 180 courses in nine academic departments. We offer academic challenge in an atmosphere that is warm and supportive. Students and faculty members are motivated participants in the world of ideas, concepts, and values. They work through collaboration to achieve intellectually.
- At Milton, you do not have to choose whether you want to be an intellectual, a musician, an athlete, a performer or an artist. You can be all of these; one of the best things about Milton is that there is no limit to the way you define your identity.
- Milton Academy embraces diversity, and boasts students from 27 states and 21 countries. Growing and learning among individuals who share widely divergent life stories and appreciating their respective cultures is an invaluable aspect of a true education.
- Milton Academy students live in one of eight single-sex houses ranging in size from 31 students to 48 students. Milton houses include all four classes as well as faculty members` families. Living with older and younger "siblings" ensures role models, support, a sense of belonging and affection. Students spend all their Milton years in one house, experiencing a family-at-school context for developing close relationships with valued adults, learning about responsibility to the community, taking leadership roles with peers, and sharing social and cultural traditions.
- Milton students graduate with the confidence in themselves and the competence to succeed at the most selective colleges and universities in the country.
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
Submit Review for Milton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.