5.00 (4 reviews)70 Main Street
New Hampton, NH 03256
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 320 students
Founded in 1821, New Hampton School is regarded as a leader in technology integration in independent schools, and was recognized as an Apple Distinguished School in 2013.
The School offers a globally focused education to young men and women from across the country and around the world.
The first New England Boarding School to offer the International Baccalaureate Program, the School`s rigorous college preparatory curriculum is rooted in personal exploration, civic engagement, and global awareness.
Students take advantage of outstanding facilities in the arts, the sciences, and athletics; a wide range of opportunities for service and hands-on experience; and a talented faculty committed to holistic development.
Located in the Lakes Region of New Hampshire near the magnificent White Mountains, the school is ideally situated to help students explore issues of environmental sustainability.
The school is known as an innovator in technology integration and supports a comprehensive iPad Program.
Students benefit from a comprehensive Project Week each spring.
Alumni of New Hampton School matriculate to competitive colleges and universities and go on to take leadership roles in politics and culture, business and finance, science and medicine, education and philanthropy, or wherever their dreams and talents take them.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Syracuse University New Hampton offered me so many opportunities that I'm grateful for, that I don't know where to start. Something that was different about New Hampton than other schools I had attended was the IB program. . .
- Cornell University Talking to peers in college about our various high school experiences emphasized the fact that New Hampton School has a truly unique community feel to it. There are many ways the school achieves this, but. . .
- St. Lawrence University The most striking aspect of New Hampton, which I have realized more so now that I have left, is it's sense of community. There is no stratification. Your biology teacher is also your advisor, your. . .
- Wellesley College New Hampton's classes don't use just one teaching style. This pluralist approach allows, and assists students who learn in many different ways. The round table discussions in all english classes are integral, and. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 125 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|New Hampton School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||350 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||2||16|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||45||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$15 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$27,000||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||William McCulloch|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Michelle Cote|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||2||16|
|Courses||AP Art, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP European History, AP French, AP Photography, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||23|
|Extracurriculars||Art in the Afternoon, Experiential Learning, Greenhouse Interns, LGBQT, Literary magazine, Math Club, Model United Nations, Outing Club, Proctor Program, Student Government, Sustainability Club, Technical Theatre Program, Tour Guides, Women's Leadership Group, Yearbook Club|
- New Hampton School Mission: New Hampton School cultivates lifelong learners who will serve as active global citizens. We enhance the potential of students and promote academic success and development of caring community members. Our students are talented artists, athletes, and leaders who often learn best through hands-on experiences. If you're ready to GO BEYOND yourself, we're ready for you.
- New Hampton was the first New England boarding school to be approved to offer the International Baccalaureate Program.
- In 2010, The School introduced an iPad Pilot Program in 2010 and became a 1:1 iPad Program in 2012. NHS was named an Apple Distinguished School in 2013. Our values ground our school community and its programs, initiatives, and distinctive culture. We promote and engage students in purposeful self-exploration that models and encourages healthy risk-taking in the context of personal growth. Our school community commits itself to social equality and personal respect among all members of our school and extended community.
- We honor and validate the diversity of all learners in our community, promoting understanding of the unique gifts each student possesses.
- Our school community celebrates a genuine approach to campus living where we respect individuals for who they are and what they contribute to our school and extended community.
- Our school reflects an on-going examination and refinement of our programs to place the school as a nationally recognized innovator among independent schools.
- We expect all members of our school community to be forthright and honest, to maintain personal integrity in all relationships, and to embrace our core values of respect and responsibility.
Submit Review for New Hampton School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 50.8 miles39 School Street, P.O. Box 8000
Ashburnham, MA 01430
Grades: 9-12, PG | 257 students 38.5 miles30 School Street
Tilton, NH 03276
Grades: 9-12, PG | 360 students 46.9 miles204 Main Street - P.O. Box 500
Andover, NH 03216
Grades: 9-12, PG | 340 students 69 miles7 Campus Center, PO Box 188
Meriden, NH 03770
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.