128 Oakland Farm Way
Troy, VA 22974
Troy, VA 22974
Gr: (Boarding) 3-8 | 45 students
Academic program for all children ages 6-14 including those that have learning differences such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD, auditory processing or executive functioning issues or those who may be struggling in a traditional classroom setting.
Coed, Residential or Day - Individualized programs with emphasis on reading, written language, math, study skills, and organization.
Extensive recreational program, including horseback riding.
Experienced and nurturing staff.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|School Focus||Learning Disabilities / Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 3-8|
|Grades (Day)||Grades 1-8|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||450 acres|
|% Students of Color||
|% Students Boarding||
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$50,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$14,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Jamie Cato|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||4 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Soccer|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||7 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Art Club, Camping Club, Cooking Club, Fitness Club, Horseback Riding, Individual Music Instruction, Various sports and athletic activities|
- A small co-ed boarding and day school located in the rolling countryside of central Va.- 11 miles east of Charlottesville. The school is specifically designed to meet the needs of average to above-average students who have been unable to learn in a traditional classroom setting. Some students have dyslexia or other learning disabilities/differences; others are merely working below grade level.
- The grounds consist of more than 450 acres of woodland and meadows. The home-like enviroment and the individualized attention given to each student combine to make a warm, caring place in which the child can blossom.
- At Oakland, students have individualized programs tailored to their special needs. Every student is assigned to a particular reading teacher who oversees the specifics of the child's program. The teacher monitors the student's progress in all areas, and provides encouragement and advice.
- Every student receives at least one 35 min. period a day of 1:1 instruction. There is a low student teacher ratio, 5:1. Small classes combined with one-to-one instruction provide the attention needed for real academic growth.
- Classes are ungraded and based instead on skill level. Students are placed in classes which they can comfortably learn.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalcula, executive functioning
- School accreditations: VAISEF
Submit Review for Oakland School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 3-9| 220 students 436.8 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
Grades: 3-12 | 21 students 470.5 miles28 Patey Circle
Rindge, NH 03461
Grades: 4-9 | 60 students 489.3 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Grades: 3-12| 269 students 2275.8 miles723 El Paseo Road
Ojai, CA 93023
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.