128 Oakland Farm Way
Troy, VA 22974
Troy, VA 22974
Gr: (Boarding) 3-8 | 45 students
Academic program for all children ages 6-14 including those that have learning differences such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD, auditory processing or executive functioning issues or those who may be struggling in a traditional classroom setting.
Coed, Residential or Day - Individualized programs with emphasis on reading, written language, math, study skills, and organization.
Extensive recreational program, including horseback riding.
Experienced and nurturing staff.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|School Focus||Learning Disabilities / Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 3-8|
|Grades (Day)||Grades 1-8|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||450 acres|
|% Students of Color||
|% Students Boarding||
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$50,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$14,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Jamie Cato|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||4 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Soccer|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||7 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Art Club, Camping Club, Cooking Club, Fitness Club, Horseback Riding, Individual Music Instruction, Various sports and athletic activities|
- A small co-ed boarding and day school located in the rolling countryside of central Va.- 11 miles east of Charlottesville. The school is specifically designed to meet the needs of average to above-average students who have been unable to learn in a traditional classroom setting. Some students have dyslexia or other learning disabilities/differences; others are merely working below grade level.
- The grounds consist of more than 450 acres of woodland and meadows. The home-like enviroment and the individualized attention given to each student combine to make a warm, caring place in which the child can blossom.
- At Oakland, students have individualized programs tailored to their special needs. Every student is assigned to a particular reading teacher who oversees the specifics of the child's program. The teacher monitors the student's progress in all areas, and provides encouragement and advice.
- Every student receives at least one 35 min. period a day of 1:1 instruction. There is a low student teacher ratio, 5:1. Small classes combined with one-to-one instruction provide the attention needed for real academic growth.
- Classes are ungraded and based instead on skill level. Students are placed in classes which they can comfortably learn.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalcula, executive functioning
- School accreditations: VAISEF
Submit Review for Oakland School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 3-9| 220 students 436.8 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
Grades: 3-12 | 21 students 470.5 miles28 Patey Circle
Rindge, NH 03461
Grades: 4-9 | 60 students 489.3 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Grades: 3-12| 269 students 2275.8 miles723 El Paseo Road
Ojai, CA 93023
Grades: 5-12| 271 students 2351.8 miles20950 SW Rock Creek Road
Sheridan, OR 97378