Ojai Valley School offers students in grades 3-12 the ability to live and learn alongside peers from around the world. Residents participate in a vibrant community of motivated students and develop friendships that last a lifetime. Just ask our alumni. Many of their closest friendships began in the OVS dorms or were developed on camping trips or sports teams.
Ojai Valley School is one of the few equestrian boarding schools in California with stables on both the middle and high school campuses, allowing students to walk from class to the barn to ride nearly every afternoon in place of sports or P.E. classes. Our program welcomes riders of all levels.
Ojai Valley School offers a challenging college prep curriculum with opportunities for Advanced Placement (AP) and honors course work. Last year, juniors and seniors took, on average, three AP classes each year.
Outdoor Education is a key part of the OVS experience. Students in grades 3-12 participate in multiple outdoor trips throughout the year, many of which relate to classroom studies. In freshman Humanities, for example, students read A River Runs Through It, and then a group took a fly fishing trip to the eastern Sierras.
The Athletic program is a vital component of life at OVS. Middle and high school students participate in athletics each season. High school sports options include soccer, basketball, volleyball, cross country, track, baseball, equestrian, tennis, golf, and lacrosse.
Surf's up! OVS students enjoy great Southern California weather and frequent excursions to the Pacific Ocean for early morning surf trips. The 'Dawn Patrol' surf club welcomes beginners and experienced surfers alike, and they regularly paddle out from local surf spots.
At the OVS Upper Campus, high school students in grades 9-12 flourish from the attention they receive in small classes and benefit from a college prep program that emphasizes character development and academic achievement.
The arts curriculum at OVS include drawing, music theory and composition, music history, voice, ceramics, photography and three AP art courses. Students have the opportunity to explore costume design, graphic design, and film. They can also participate in electives such as dance and chorus. OVS produces musical and drama productions throughout the year.
- It is our goal to recruit intellectually curious, outgoing students who want to participate in all aspects of Ojai Valley School`s academic and extracurricular programs.
- We strive to enroll students from all backgrounds whose talents, skills and interests will enrich the OVS community.
- Through the development of a strong college prep curriculum and with emphasis on study skills, confidence and leadership, students earn placement at select colleges and universities worldwide.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of California, Berkeley I started boarding at Ojai Valley School (OVS) since fifth grade in Elementary School and this experience had been the best time of my life largely due to the supportive environment of the faculty members. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Ojai Valley School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||3-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||11-12|
|Campus Size||195 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||269 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1834 - 2086||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$16 million|
(Jr. Boarding Tuition (5/7 day) Grades 3-5: $44,500)
(Varies per grade level: http://www.ovs.org/?id)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,635||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||45%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Tracy Wilson|
|Associate Director of Admissions||John Valenzuela|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art: 2D, AP Studio Art: 3D, AP Studio Art: Drawing, AP United States History, AP World History, Honors English 10, Honors Geometry, Honors Spanish II|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||23|
|Extracurriculars||Acting, Chorus, Community Service Club, Computer Club, Cycling Club, Hiking Club, Horseback Riding, International Studies, Journalism, Kayaking, Kickboxing, Leadership, Performing Arts, Photography & Video, Rock Climbing, Ropes Course, Surfing, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Woodshop, Yearbook, Yoga|
|Year: 2012 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||3|
|University of Nevada, Las Vegas||3|
|California College of the Arts||2|
|California Lutheran University||2|
|Michigan State University||2|
|University of California, San Diego||2|
Founded in 1911, Ojai Valley School is recognized for its challenging academics and unique programs:
- 100% college placement
- Interscholastic sports
- Outdoor education (trips to Yosemite, Escalante, the Lost Coast and Joshua Tree)
- Equestrian program
- Community service (includes a trip to Oaxaca, Mexico)
- Fine and performing arts
- International ESL and summer programs A spectacular location 40 miles southeast of Santa Barbara and at the foot of the Los Padres National Forest ensures weekend access to beaches, lakes and mountains.
- School accreditations: ACA, WAIC, WASC Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Barbara B. Smith (L35) - Ethnomusicologist, Professor Emeritus of Music, University of Hawaii
- Robert Erburu (L46) - Former Chairman of the Board and CEO, Times Mirror
- Michael Mondavi (L58) - Founder, Folio Wine Partners
- Jeffrey Hyland (L63) - President, Hilton & Hyland, architectural historian and author
- John Slavik (L66, U69) - Owner, Pinnacle Holdings, Inc.
- Keith Carradine (U67) - Actor, composer, musician
- David Lazarus (L74, U78) - American business and consumer columnist for the Los Angeles Times
- Bruce Sommers (L79) - President of Sincbox Media
- Mari Holden (L84, U88) - 2000 Olympic silver medalist, cycling
- Tiana Coudray (L02,U06) - 2010 winner, USEA Gold Cup Series CIC3* division, Galway Downs International Horse Trials
Submit Review for Ojai Valley School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12| 245 students 49.9 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.
April 25, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
April 19, 2017
Get admissions officer's Clayton Johnston's perspective on how to choose the best boarding school for you.