Exeter, NH 03833
- Phillips Exeter Academy has a tradition of academic excellence, a distinguished faculty, and a long history of educating young people to find their place in the world. The heart of Exeter is its signature Harkness method of instruction.
- The Harkness philosophy, developed at Exeter over 80 years ago, is centered on a way of thinking and engaging with others that requires preparation and provides a sense of readiness for learning, for college, for life. Exeter is a school for teenagers who want to be surrounded by peers who share their intellectual curiosity and raw excitement about learning.
- The school is alive with learning: spirited conversations spill out of classrooms and make their way to the playing fields, theater stages, laboratories, the dining halls and the dorms.
- Students are given the freedom to explore and know their intellect, to challenge themselves in new ways, and enjoy the richness of human interaction. Hear more from the students on our admissions blog.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Carnegie Mellon University Exeter offers an incredible level of academic rigor coupled with amazing and diverse students. With small classes held around a Harkness Table, the wonderful students Exeter aggregates create a fantastic learning environment. . .
- Cornell University The Harkness table was one of the best things that ever happened to me. As a low income student coming from a very reserved community, and a school where talking was discouraged, Exeter quickly became. . .
- University of the Virgin Islands The implementation of the Harkness method in all aspects of learning makes Exeter stand out from all other boarding schools that I am familiar with. It requires you to be quick, some days it was. . .
- University of Washington The Harkness method in every class room, including all the math and science classes, definitely makes Exeter stand out from every other school. As a student, you feel engaged and motivated to succeed, and you. . .
- University of Chicago This has probably been repeated ad nauseum, but without a doubt, the most unique part about Exeter is Harkness. There's really something to be said about being able to interact with all twelve (or however. . .
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Community Size Large student body (number of students)
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- Student Attention Low teacher:student ratio
- School Resources Large financial endowment
- School Resources Highest endowment/student
- Selectivity Low acceptance rates
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
- Offering Breadth Most extracurriculars offered
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
- Student Test Scores High SSAT scores
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Phillips Exeter||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||619 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||1085 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2796||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1150 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$40,931||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||94%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Michael Gary|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cycling, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||159||23|
|Extracurriculars||Adult Education, Afro-Latino Exonian Society, Afterburners Club (rocketry), American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Amnesty International Club, Angels, Animation Club, Anthropology Club, Aquatics, Archery Club, Asia Connection, Asian Society, Asian Students Association, Astronomy Club, Attitude, Branch-Soule Debate Society, Bridge Club, Broadside, Building With Books, Business Club, Catholic, Chamber, Chess Club, Chinese Students Association, Christian Fellowship Club,|
|Year: 2011 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||34|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||27|
|University of Pennsylvania||22|
Phillips Exeter Academy seeks students who combine proven academic ability, intellectual curiosity, and tenacity with decency and good character. True to its mission defined more than two centuries ago, Exeter continues the commitment to unite knowledge and goodness. `Goodness without knowledge is weak and feeble, yet knowledge without goodness is dangerous, and that both united form the noblest character, and lay the surest foundation of usefulness to mankind.`
- Since its founding, Exeter has provided need-based financial aid that has made it possible for talented students to receive an Exeter education. An Exeter education is free to any accepted or current student whose family income is $75,000 or less. This initiative, in conjunction with our strong middle income financial aid initiative, means that 95% of families in the US are at income levels that, depending on their circumstances, make them eligible for financial aid at Exeter. We encourage all interested students to apply to Exeter -- regardless of their ability to pay.
- Follow our admissions blog to learn more!
- School accreditations: NAIS, TABS
Submit Review for Phillips Exeter Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students