5.00 (1 review)51 Pottersville Road, P.O. Box 500
Pottersville, NJ 07979
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 70 students
- Purnell School is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences.
- Our mission is to educate young women, who learn differently in grades nine through PG within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community.
- We offer seven- and five-day boarding as well as day programs.
- Purnell also offers a PG year program that encourages study and exploration.
- Our campus is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey.
- Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia.
- Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Humboldt State University Purnell has the perfect student body size to get a personal connection with staff and peers, you'll know every student, teacher, spouse, campus child & pet within the first month. Purnell is located close. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Purnell School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||11-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||83 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||70 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Purnell students are required to wear uniforms. A complete set of uniforms is $200 - $300 and typically includes a blazer, sweater or vest, white Oxford button down shirt, and a kilt.)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$9 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$61,085||$47,400|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$21,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Beth A. Rainey|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Basketball, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||18||23|
|Extracurriculars||Adlibbers-Acting, Athletic, Big, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Community, Dance Club, Environmental, Equestrian Club, Fashion Club, Floor, Kelea, Peer, Private, Red, School, Shoots, Steppers, Student|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Holy Cross||2|
|Franklin and Marshall College||2|
|Bryn Mawr College||1|
|St. Andrews University||1|
- Purnell School, established in 1963, is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences. We are at the forefront of education for girls from across the globe with different learning styles. We use a highly individualized approach tailored to the precise learning style of each student. Girls in grades nine through twelve learn within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community and thrive in academics, the arts and athletics. We offer seven and five-day boarding as well as day programs. Purnell also offers a Post Graduate (PG) year of study and exploration. Each year Purnell graduates attend the college of their choice.
- Purnell is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey. Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia. Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world. Purnell students learn to be ethical, independent, and self-confident working with faculty who act as mentors, teaching to the individual needs of the student.Purnell`s founding beliefs continue to guide the school over 50 years later: Consideration of Others, Truthfulness in All Relations, Use of Common Sense.
- Purnell successfully serves girls with the following learning differences: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Executive Functioning Challenges, Auditory Processing Disorders.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New Jersey Association of Independent Schools.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia,
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Submit Review for Purnell School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.