Washington, CT 06793
|Definition of Terms
2013 School Data
|The Gunnery||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||220 acres||124 acres|
|Enrollment||298 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||6%||18%|
|% International Students||20%||20%|
|% Students Boarding||70%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||1738||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Acadmics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||16||15|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||62%||65%|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$21 million||$14 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||45%||35%|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||W. Jed Stuart|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Shannon Baudo|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||13|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||24|
|Extracurriculars||Amnesty Internation (Known as One World), Chorale, College Club, Community Council, Community Service, Dance Club, Debate Club, Drama, Green Club (Evironmental Group), Gunn Society, International Club, Jazz Ensemble, Math Club, Model UN Club, Outdoor Club, Private Music Lessons, Prom Committee, Radio Club, School Literary Magazine- Stray Shot, Ski Club, Student Activites Council, Student Newspaper- The Gunnery News, Troubadours (Singing), Ultimate Frisbee Club, Year Book- The Red and Gray|
The Gunnery mission statement rests on the four cornerstones of character: scholarship, integrity, respect and responsibility. Character is forged in a cohesive, diverse community informed by a challenging college preparatory curriculum, a broad range of athletic, artistic and social activities and a faculty of scholars and committed educators dedicated to the intellectual and ethical development of every student. A Gunnery graduate is a broadly educated, socially responsible citizen with tested beliefs, strength of character and the courage to act on convictions.
The Gunnery offers small classes, a comprehensive curriculum, a close community, and a range of artistic and athletic offerings in an extraordinary setting, where students are encouraged to prepare for the future by learning in the words of the school motto "Vir bonus semper discipulus est - A good man (person) is always a student.
- School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, CAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. David Abala '73 - Dr. Abala works for Duke University Medical Center where he specializes with prostate cancer. He works with the di Vinci Surgical Robot which is minimally invasive and offers patients an alternative to major surgery. For more visit our website!
- James Perse '91 - After graduating James persued fashion design, manufacturing, and merchandising and is known as a rising star in the world of designer clothing. In '96 he started his own buisness, James Perse Enterprises, Inc. For more visit our website!
- Sarah Scheel Cook '82 - Sarah is the Director of Quality Assurance for the Schwans Food Company, Bakery Division. Sarah and her staff ensure the food products meet all safety standards on both the state and national level. For more visit our website!
- George Grande '64 - A 35 year old veteran of the broadcasting business, George has been the sports announcer for the Cincinnati Reds on Fox Sports Net Ohio since '93. He has covered MLB since '65 and has been broadcasting MLB since '89. For more visit our website!
- Jesse Soffer '02 - Jesse Soffer graduated from The Gunnery in 2002 and went on to act on the popular day time show, As The World Turns.
Lakeville The Hotchkiss School
Wallingford Choate Rosemary Hall
Simsbury The Ethel Walker School
Windsor The Loomis Chaffee School
Easthampton The Williston Northampton School