5.00 (3 reviews)1000 Shumway Avenue
Faribault, MN 55021
Gr: (Boarding) 6-12, PG | 472 students
St. Mary's Hall hosts the middle school campus - grades 6-8 - and also holds girls and boys dormitories for grades 6-9.
The Chapel of the Good Shepherd, located on the Upper School campus, is one of our oldest buildings and hosts weekly chapel services on Wednesday mornings and Sunday evenings. This year each of our graduating seniors speaks about his or her SSM memories, what they are taking with them as graduates, what they have learned, and what they hope to leave behind - speeches that are given over the course of the year in our chapel services.
SSM offers a wonderful, integrated dance program with classes available in tap, ballet, modern, and choreography. Dedicated dancers can audition for Arch Dance Company - a group that dances for two periods each day, working with guest directors and choreographers and performing in numerous venues.
In 2005 and 2006, SSM took four teams to the National Hockey Championships. Our U19 girls and our U18 boys both came away with championship titles in 2005 and our U19 girls repeated as National Champs in 2006. Our nationally recognized Hockey Program consists of 8 teams - 2 girls' teams and 2 boys' teams, competing in 55-70 games each season (September - April) and practicing 5 days a week with high-caliber coaches.
The Hirst Library holds over 20,000 volumes and is part of the network of Southern Minnesota Libraries (including the Mayo Clinic and the University of Minnesota). Students come to study, research, or just play a quiet game of chess.
Our visual arts program includes courses in drawing, painting, sculpture, ceramics, photography and AP studio art. Visual arts scholarships are available.
This year SSM is fielding two teams in a unique Soccer Development Program. With games and tournament play throughout the school year (September - April) and daily practice times and training, our players benefit from the expertise of high-level coaches, the consistency of skills and tactics work, and the fun of playing every week with other elite soccer athletes.
Shattuck-St. Mary`s School (SSM) welcomes day and boarding students in grades 6 through 12 and post graduates.
Founded in 1858, SSM is one of the oldest college preparatory schools in the Midwest.SSM is located in Faribault, Minnesota 45 minutes south of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the MSP International Airport.
Our 250-acre (101 hectare) campus serves approximately 472 students from 36 US states and 26 Countries.
Approximately 75% of SSM students are boarding.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Augsburg College There are so many things that set SSM apart from any other school. SSM is, to my knowledge, one of very few boarding schools in the west, and the boarding schools that are in the. . .
- DePaul University The most unique aspects of Shattuck-St. Mary's School are the relationships. I only graduated a few months ago, and I am already nostalgic for the close relationships which I formed over the years.. . .
- St. Lawrence One of the best parts about Shattuck is the volunteer work that we do. While it is required, fulfilling those hours is never an issue because the faculty provide so many options that are not. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with > 400 students (out of 99 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Attention Small average class sizes
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Shattuck-St. Mary's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||250 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||472 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1800 - 1900||-|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Polo, Khaki pants/skirt)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$25 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$47,425||$47,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$24,835||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Amy Wolf|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||16|
|Courses||Advanced Algebra II, Advanced Conversation Spanish, Advanced Dance, Advanced French Language and Conversation, Advanced PreCalculus, Advanced PreConservatory Strings, Advanced Studio Art I, Advanced Studio Art II, Advanced Vocal Performance, Advanced World Literature, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Economics, AP Environmental Science, AP French, AP Language and Composition, AP Latin, AP Literature and Composition, AP Modern European History, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US Government and Politics, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Figure Skating, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||16||23|
|Extracurriculars||Art Club, Crack Squad, Drama Club, Gold Key Club, Individual Music Instruction, Math Team, Middle School Government, Middle School Mathletes, Proctors, Prom, Robotics, Spectator, Spiritual Life, Upper School Government, Wooden Soldiers, Yearbook|
|Year: 2008 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Minnesota - Twin Cities||17|
|University of Wisconsin - Madison||13|
|University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign||8|
|University of Washington||8|
|University of Rochester (NY)||7|
|University of St. Thomas (MN)||7|
|Boston University (MA)||6|
|Pennsylvania State University||6|
|University of Minnesota - Duluth||6|
- Shattuck-St. Mary`s School (SSM) welcomes day and boarding students in grades 6 through 12 and post graduates. Founded in 1858, SSM is one of the oldest college preparatory schools in the Midwest.SSM is located in Faribault, Minnesota 45 minutes south of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul and the MSP International Airport. Our 250-acre (101 hectare) campus serves approximately 472 students from 36 US states and 26 Countries. Approximately 75% of our students are boarding.
- SSM is unique. SSM students benefit from a challenging college preparatory curriculum that blends tradition with innovation – from our Centers of Excellence to our weCreate Center to our blended learning model. Our Centers of Excellence at SSM offer talented students the opportunity to pursue their personal passions in the areas of academics, arts and athletics. We currently offer these Centers of Excellence: Bioscience, Engineering, Figure Skating, Golf, Hockey, Soccer, Pre-Conservatory Music, and Vocal Performance.
- SSM students are pursuing their dreams with drive and determination, and we welcome students who have similar aspirations.
- LD types supported: Diagnosed Mild Learning Disabilities and ADD/ADHD
- School accreditations: ISACS, NAIS, TABS
Submit Review for Shattuck-St. Mary's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG| 265 students 104.3 miles2280 Watertower Road, Box 4000
6-12, PG (day)
Collegeville, MN 56321
6-12, PG (day)
Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 1073.6 miles39 School Street, P.O. Box 8000
Ashburnham, MA 01430
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.