5.00 (1 review)PO Box 3050, 198 Main St.
Chester/Lake Almanor, CA 96020
Gr: (Boarding) 6-12 | 13 students
- St. Andrew's Academy is a small and classical boarding/day school in the mountains of Northern California; a college prep community of everyday students living and working and playing and praying together.
- There is room for a handful of boarders to come this next Fall and participate in the rebirth of St. Andrew's Academy after the devestating economy of the last years.
- St. Andrew's trains tomorrow's leaders in truth, goodness, and beauty, preparing them for a challenging and bright future.
- Who might be interested in being a St. Andrew's Student? 1) Anyone who wants the attention a small school can give; 2) Anyone willing to improve their work, play, hopes, and skills; 3) Anyone wanting to prepare for their life's calling and further education with academic excellence, virtuous character, and active mentoring.
- A classical education (the historic norm of the western world) is available to all who are willing to work for it! Giftednes is wonderful, but accompanied by discipline, diligence, honor, respect, and the arts, it flourishes for a lifetime!. .
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Hillsdale College Classes at St. Andrew's Academy are extremely integrated and intimate. While the level of work required was extremely high, the most valuable part of my education was the relationships I forged with my teachers. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 327 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|St. Andrew's Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||6-12||11-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Enrollment||13 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||5 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Includes books & fees; not major travel)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Lynn Webber|
|Associate Director of Admissions||David Turney|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||16|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Physics, Classical Rhetoric, Great Books History--Ancient, Great Books History--Early Modern, Great Books History--Medieval, Great Books History--Modern, Great Books Literature--Anglo-Saxon Poetry & Beowulf; Medieval Romance, Great Books Literature--Classical Greek & Roman, Great Books Literature--Shakespeare & Renaissance Lit., Great Books Literature--The Modern Era, Philosophy--Classical, Philosophy--Contemporary Philosophical Issues, Philosophy--Intro. to Philosophy, Senior Thesis|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||1||14|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||23|
|Extracurriculars||Choir, Drama Club, Fencing Club, Food Club, Media Club, Outings Club, Sailing Club, Travel|
|Year: 2003 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|California State Universities||3|
|Grove City College||1|
|Moody Bible Institute||1|
|New St. Andrew's College||1|
- "Despite its small size and modest appointments, at St. Andrew`s Academy the three goals of an excellent school-spiritual formation, character development, and intellectual preparation-are given serious attention. It is the antidote to most of the weaknesses affecting education in America. I have confidence that this is a community with its philosophy and priorities straight. I don`t know of a school in the world that`s doing what they`re doing." David John Seel, PhD
- All regular classes at St. Andrew's Academy are honors level classes, and students are trained in formal logic, rhetoric, Latin, Greek, and a great books curriculum for History and Literature.
- "Attending St. Andrew`s was the single most formative experience of my teenage years, and the time I spent there continues to enrich and direct my life years later as I do graduate level study and teach at a school similar to St. Andrew's. St. Andrew`s taught me above all things self-discipline and respect. My teachers always treated me like an adult. They always respected my ideas, even when I disagreed with them; they taught me how to be a student, how to teach myself for the rest of my life. I`m thankful for the vision of responsible and thoughtful maturity my teachers gave me."Serena HoweSt. Andrew`s Academy AlumnaHillsdale College AlumnaGraduate Student at University of Dallas
- The St. Andrew`s Academy Choir has toured all over America, and performed in Canada, Italy, Britain, and most recently in Germany.
- "Studying at St. Andrew`s Academy provided me with a foundational education unlike any other available to me. The emphasis there on a classical education has helped me to stand out amongst my peers. St. Andrew`s academy not only prepared me for college, it also prepared me for a mature life away from home. The atmosphere promotes professionalism as well as creativity. St. Andrew`s faculty did not simply fill my head with facts so that I could pass a standardized test; they taught me how to think on my own, and gave me a moral framework." Joseph A. SalvatoreSt. Andrew`s Academy AlumnusVillanova University AlumnusUS Naval Officer
- St. Andrew's Academy's Travel Program brings high school students overseas at least once every three years. Past trips have included England, Scotland, Wales, France, Italy and Germany.
- "I am a proud St. Andrew`s Academy graduate. From the first day I entered the school in 2001, I was taught how to work hard, manage my time wisely, study effectively, and present myself in many different situations. St. Andrew`s was more than just an education, it was a life-changing experience. Eight years have passed since I graduated, and I am still close with my fellow graduates and teachers. These relationships helped me become who I am today, have helped me grow from a child to a successful future doctor." Sarah Waterman, MDSt. Andrew`s Academy AlumnaCalifornia State University, Monterey Bay AlumnaCreighton University School of Medicine Alumna
- St. Andrew's is a safe environment in an area with a very low crime rate. The idyllic setting has four seasons recreational activities available, including biking, snow-and water-skiing, snowboarding, sailing, swimming, snowshoeing, hiking, backpacking, and mountain-climbing.
- St. Andrew's graduates have attracted the attention of many excellent colleges and universities, including Davidson College, the U.S. Naval Academy, Hillsdale College, the College of William and Mary, Villanova University, Drexel University, Gordon College, Seattle University, Thomas More College, the University of California and CSU schools, and the University of Chicago.
Submit Review for St. Andrew's Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 453.1 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
Grades: 6-12, PG | 144 students 456.6 miles2800 Monterey Road
San Marino, CA 91108
Grades: 9-12 | 26 students 209.6 miles1 West Campbell Avenue, B-20
Campbell, CA 95008
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.