- St. Margaret's is a small, all girls' school, boarding and day, grades 8-12, along the banks of the Rappahannock River.
- Founded in the Episcopal tradition, we are committed to helping young women thrive in every aspect of their lives - academically, socially, emotionally and spiritually.
- Our campus is home to young women from across the country and around the world.
- We know that strong women make strong choices and our program is designed to support their development.
- Our rigorous college prepartory curriculum encourages students to push themselves.
- Our leadership program gives our students the opportunity to inspire greatness in themselves and others.
- Our history as a church school and honor code equip our students with the moral and social foundation to approach today's world with a sense of grace, honor and purpose.
- We meet girls where they are, embrace them as individuals and push them to challenge themselves and change the world. .
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Rochester At St. Margaret’s School, girls have the opportunity to not just gain a better education, but also to be around people whom they will have with them through their lives. As a senior, I have. . .
- Case Western Reserve University For me, SMS is unique because it is truly a second home that anyone can be a part of. The sense of community also builds around the school motto, “As we grow in age. . .
- University of Virginia St. Margaret's offers a unique boarding school experience in part thanks to its location right on the Rappahannock River. The school encourages girls to take advantage of the river, both as an educational and extracurricular. . .
- Auburn University St. Margaret's has such a strong staff. The teachers honestly care about their students and their success in school. Being a teacher at a boarding school is hard because of the extra commitments. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|St. Margaret's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||51 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||125 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(We have a school uniform with 32 pieces.)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$16 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,630||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Cameron Tuebner|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jackie Montero|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
|Extracurriculars||Art Club, Basic, Book Club, Community, Drama Club, Ensemble, National, Peer, Photography, Quill, Scottie, Soulful, Spanish|
- Founded in 1921 as one of the Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia (CSDV), and a member of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS), St. Margaret's offers a boarding and day college preparatory program for girls in grades 8-12. During the regular school year, a diverse student body of 125, representing approximately 13 countries and 18 US States and the District of Columbia, maintains a 6:1 student-faculty ratio, a unique advisor/advisee relationship, and a 99 percent college attendance rate.
- LD types supported: ADHD, Dyslexia, math and language-based learning differences
- School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS, NCGS
Submit Review for St. Margaret's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12| 298 students 102.6 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
April 19, 2017
Get admissions officer's Clayton Johnston's perspective on how to choose the best boarding school for you.
April 19, 2017
Here are some answers to the more common concerns we parents have when our child goes off to boarding school.
April 19, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.