5.00 (3 reviews)235 West Frederick Street
Staunton, VA 24401
Gr: (Boarding) 8-12 | 280 students
Our campus community is one of openness, trust, and fun. Stuart Hall School fosters lifelong friendships in the context of an academically rigorous and socially supportive environment.
Students at Stuart Hall School come from all over the nation and the world. Our community is built on mutual trust and academic inquiry, and we seek to develop the personal character, honor, and creativity of each member of our school.
Our Math & Science Emphasis program allows students to engage with Math the Sciences on a deeper level through research, independent projects, and a schedule focused on Pre-Engineering, Pre-Med, or Mathematics.
Fine Arts Emphasis at Stuart Hall School allows students to discover their passion and sends students to prestigious arts programs in the areas of Music, Visual Art, and Theatre every year.
Stuart Hall School offers a competitive and successful athletics program that teaches students the value of sportsmanship, leadership and teamwork.
Academic inquiry and risk-taking lay an important foundation to our curriculum. Students are encouraged to explore new courses and areas of study they hadn't previously considered. Because of our small class size, every student is known, supported, and challenged to grow as an individual throughout their time at Stuart Hall.
Our historic campus is located in downtown Staunton, Virginia. Students enjoy the freedom afforded them by this safe environment; whether walking into town to study at a coffee shop or spending free time at local shops and restaurants, our students get a taste of the college experience early-on in the context of our safe, small town.
- Stuart Hall School, a member of (Episcopal) Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia, educates the whole child -mind, body, heart, spirit - in a nurturing environment based on honor and respect.
- The school is coed day grades Pre-K - 12 boarding in grades 8 - 12.
- Personal attention encourages high academic acheivement, excellence in the arts, and comfortable student-faculty interaction.
- The campus is located in the historic district of the city of Staunton, Virginia- home to the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library, Mary Baldwin College, the American Shakespeare Center's Blackfriars Playhouse, the Frontier Cultural Museum, Blue Ridge Parkway, and a variety of restaurants, coffee shops, and boutiques.
- Nearby Charlottesville, offers additional cultural and sporting events at the University of Virginia, and, within 2 hours' drive, Richmond and Washington, D.C. offer even more historic and cosmopolitan opportunities for our students.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Stuart Hall's diverse community and the sense of family are two of the many very important aspects that make the school unique. Small class sizes provide the opportunity for all types of students to. . .
- VCU My boarding school was actually co-ed during the academic day, but only girls boarded (though I think now the boarding has become co-ed presently). . .
- University of Virginia Stuart Hall's small class sizes and caring faculty really do give it the "family" atmosphere that it advertises. While at Stuart Hall I had many opportunities to explore. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Stuart Hall School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||11-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||15 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||280 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1720||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1470 - 1950||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$48,000||$47,400|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Ann Snyder|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Samantha Hughes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, AP World History, Fine Arts Emphasis Diploma, Math & Science Emphasis Diploma, Robotics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||23|
|Extracurriculars||Ambassadors Club, Chorus, Class, E.L.A., Ecology Club, Honor, National, Outreach, Periscript, Prefects, Social, Student|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Stuart Hall is unlike other boarding schools in the United States. Outstanding preparation for college is a given, and our students go to top colleges and universities every year, including Cornell, UVA, RISD, NYU, The College of Wiliam and Mary, UCLA, Berkeley, and more. Our 15 AP courses and integrated curriculum are just a piece of who we are. What makes Stuart Hall unique are it's downtown location in a small city where you can walk to coffee shops or restaurants from your dorm room, its culture of kindness and service, and accelerated Emphasis Programs in STEM and the Arts. Stuart Hall allows students the freedom to be whoever they choose to be, and our school culture reflects that. Find out more today.
- School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS
Submit Review for Stuart Hall School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12, PG | 181 students 22.7 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.