66 Front Street
Marion, MA 02738
Marion, MA 02738
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 517 students
Tabor offers a thoughtful and rigorous academic program that provides a solid foundation for study at competitive colleges.
For a school of our size, the curriculum contains an especially broad spectrum of courses, from introductory levels to honors, AP, and post-AP courses to highly sophisticated opportunities for independent work, in the traditional liberal arts fields such as the humanities, math, and the sciences, as well as more unusual offerings for a secondary school in areas such as Greek, marine science, and stage and lighting design.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Review #1 - Class of 2010Washington and Lee University The location on the Marion waterfront is definitely Tabor's most distinct and unique feature. For any students interested in marine. . .
- Review #2 - Class of 2009The George Washington University It is difficult to overstate the appeal of attending the aptly nicknamed "School by the Sea." Besides the aesthetic appeal. . .
- Review #3 - Class of 2000Trinity College Tabor's setting as the School by the Sea is not only an important part of its history, but also of. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Tabor Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||88 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||517 students||295 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$44 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||67||-|
|Director of Admissions||Andrew L. McCain|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese AP Language and Culture, Economics, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, French Literature, Latin AP, Physics B, Physics C, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, Statistics, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||30||23|
|Extracurriculars||A Capella, Admission Tour Guides, Art Club, Astronomy Club, Bowsprit Literary Magazine, Ceramics Club, Community Service Club, Dance Club, Dorm Prefects, Drama Club, Environmental Awareness (EA@TA), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Habitat for Humanity, Instrumental, International Student Club, Math Club, Mock Trial Team, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Peer Listening, Photography, SADD, Speech and Debate Team, Stage Crew, Student Activities Committee,|
|Year: 2004 - 2009||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hobart and William Smith College||23|
|The George Washington University||17|
|University of Vermont||17|
|College of Charleston||13|
|University of Colorado Boulder||13|
|New York University||12|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A big school program with a small school's humanity, Tabor Academy offers a rigorous academic program that includes 24 AP courses, and numerous honors level courses across the curriculum. Located on the picturesque shore of Sippican Harbor, Tabor's stunning oceanfront campus is home to 500 students from across the globe. Small dormitories, which average 18 students, provides an exceptional residential program and cultivates a strong sense of community. Tabor graduates often matriculate to the most competitive colleges in the country. Outside the classroom, Tabor offers a wide range of after school activities that include four major drama productions, fifty interscholastic teams, (twenty-three of which compete at the varsity level) seven singing and four instrumental groups.
- Tabor Academy is a coeducational, college preparatory boarding and day school located in Marion, Massachusetts. Tabor enrolls students demonstrating academic ability, strong motivation, sound character, emotional stability, and a willingness to participate fully in the school community. Tabor is founded on the belief that a healthy school community finds common ground while embracing differences and, therefore, accepts a racially, ethnically, religiously, economically, and internationally diverse student body. Tabor students are expected to respect one another and to care for their school.
- Tabor's academic, artistic, athletic, and community programs provide distinctive opportunities for students to achieve genuine understanding and significant skills and to identify and pursue personal goals. As the "school by the sea," Tabor sustains a unique maritime heritage that embodies, in all its programs, the qualities a seagoing life requires: thoughtful preparation for and awareness of the wider world, perseverance, courage, good humor, a sense of direction, and humility.Tabor's faculty commit themselves to balancing high demands with genuine affection for their students and to fostering relationships founded on the compassion, personal integrity, and trust that anchor Tabor's community.
- The core values of our mission statement guide intellectual life at Tabor.
- To inspire a life-long love of learning
- To instill a passion for the highest standards of achievement
- To encourage personal responsibility
- To foster care for others and committed citizenship
- School accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools, Secondary School Admissions Test Board
Submit Review for Tabor Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12, PG | 650 students 110.9 miles7 Boyden Lane
Deerfield, MA 01342
Grades: 9-12, PG | 1150 students 68.3 miles180 Main Street
Andover, MA 01810
Grades: 9-12, PG | 650 students 111.2 milesOne Lamplighter Way
Mount Hermon, MA 01354
Grades: 9-12, PG | 862 students 107.1 miles333 Christian Street
Wallingford, CT 06492
Grades: 9-12| 700 students 41.8 miles170 Centre Street
Milton, MA 02186
October 14, 2016
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
September 19, 2016
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
September 14, 2016
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.