5.00 (3 reviews)99 Green Hill Road
Washington, CT 06793
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 288 students
The Gunnery's sports program cultivates competition and cooperation in the context of organized athletics. This is a tradition that stretches back, unbroken, to Mr. Gunn's era. A staunch advocate of physical fitness, he created the school's first athletic teams. Currently, 36 Gunnery teams compete in 15 sports.
Gunnery students are actively involved in a challenging educational experience. The traditional college preparatory curriculum with graduation requirements in English, mathematics, science, language, art, ethics and public speaking encourages every student to develop a commitment to life-long learning.
The Gunnery offers a wide range of activities for students interested in music. Instrumental performers can participate in the Jazz Ensemble, the Chamber Ensemble. Vocalists can participate in The Gunnery Troubadours, where students learn vocal technique and ensemble singing. Solo concerts each term allow the student to apply what they have learned in a performance setting.
The Gunnery is a school that is proudly small in scale but large in offerings, and you’ll find that we offer the same range of Advanced Placement courses found at much larger schools in a setting where the individual attention you’ll receive in those classes is much greater.
The drama program at The Gunnery offers a range of electives to the interested student, including classes in Acting, Scene Study, and Technical Theater. In addition, The Gunnery Drama Society presents two productions each year - typically a play in the fall and a musical in the winter, providing opportunities for actors, singers, dancers, stage managers, and stage crew.
The visual arts program at The Gunnery offers a wide range of high quality experiences to the interested student. Students have the opportunity to submit materials to the Advanced Placement Studio Art Exam if they complete the requisite amount of work. We also offer developmental courses in photography, ceramics, drawing, art history, painting, and graphic design.
- Founded in 1850 by abolitionist, educator, and outdoorsman Frederick Gunn, The Gunnery is a coeducational college preparatory boarding and day school for students in grades 9 through 12/post-graduate.
- Dedicated teacher-mentor-coaches challenge students to reach their full potential in a home-like setting where character and citizenship are valued as much as intellect and achievement.
- Individualized attention and high expectations help young learners develop not only the skills and confidence they will need in college, but also the moral compass and love of learning that will serve them well in life.
- The school attracts ambitious, academically curious students who will both shine as unique individuals and thrive as contributing members of a deeply connected community.
- By the time they graduate, Gunnery students have become well rounded, grounded young adults with a sharpened sense of who they are and who they want to become.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Cornell University The Gunnery is unique in its approach to learning and growth. I had never before and never since experienced an environment that was so meticulously tailored to the individual student. From the moment you arrive. . .
- University Of Rochester What really sets The Gunnery apart from other schools is the tightly knit community. It is very easy to (and impossible not to) find yourself developing close relationships with faculty members and students alike. During. . .
- University of Pennsylvania I initially chose the Gunnery as my high school because of its location. After my first visit to the school, I knew I would enjoy being amongst the rolling hills of Litchfield County, hiking and. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Gunnery - Mr.||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||11-12|
|Campus Size||220 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||288 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1738||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$21 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sara Lynn Leavenworth|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Alexandra Ince|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||23|
|Extracurriculars||Amnesty International Club, Chorale, College Club, Community Council, Community Service Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Drama Club, Green Club, Gun Club, International Club, Jazz Club, Math Club, Media Club, Model UN, Model UN Club, Outdoor Club, Private Music Lessons, Prom Committee, Radio Club, School Literary Magazine- Stray Shot, Ski Club, Student Activites Council, Student Newspaper- The Gunnery News, Troubadours (Singing),|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Gunnery mission statement rests on the four cornerstones of character: scholarship, integrity, respect and responsibility. Character is forged in a cohesive, diverse community informed by a challenging college preparatory curriculum, a broad range of athletic, artistic and social activities and a faculty of scholars and committed educators dedicated to the intellectual and ethical development of every student. A Gunnery graduate is a broadly educated, socially responsible citizen with tested beliefs, strength of character and the courage to act on convictions. The Gunnery offers small classes, a comprehensive curriculum, a close community, and a range of artistic and athletic offerings in an extraordinary setting, where students are encouraged to prepare for the future by learning in the words of the school motto "Vir bonus semper discipulus est - A good man (person) is always a student.
- School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, CAIS, NEASC
Submit Review for The Gunnery - Mr. Gunn's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
March 16, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
March 15, 2017
"Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you..." Brought to you by Boarding Schools in the USA
March 15, 2017
North American boarding schools regularly send admissions staff overseas to hold recruitment fairs in your area.