5.00 (4 reviews)11 Interlaken Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
Tel: (860) 435-3102
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 598 students
The Hotchkiss School is an independent boarding school located in Lakeville, Connecticut.
Founded in 1891, the School provides an education of unsurpassed quality to 598 students in grades 9 through 12, and to a small number of post-graduates.
Students at Hotchkiss come from across the United States and 35 foreign countries.
Graduates attend many of the most selective universities and colleges.||The Hotchkiss School strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity.
The School is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- NYU Hotchkiss's campus had TWO ice hockey rinks and we also have a legendary field hockey team. Our Varsity Field Hockey team won the New England Championships 10 years in a row and then two years. . .
- Georgetown University You wouldn't expect a school with such a classic appearance to be so progressive, but Hotchkiss manages to do it all. More than any other boarding school, Hotchkiss leads the way in embracing new technologies. . .
- Williams College Perhaps the most lasting impression I got from my two years at Hotchkiss was the overwhelming sense of community and camaraderie among the student body. Having previously spent two years at. . .
- Tufts University Hotchkiss is located in a rural setting so kids are mostly on campus. This gives the school an even greater feeling of connectedness and community.. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 323 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Hotchkiss School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||810 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||598 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1985||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1870 - 2150||-|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$362 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$39,314||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||85||-|
|Director of Admissions||Jane Reynolds|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus (AB), AP Calculus (BC), AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language, AP Economics (macro), AP Economics (micro), AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language, AP French Literature, AP German Language, AP Government & Politics (Comparative), AP Latin (Vergil), AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||23|
|Extracurriculars||Asian Society, BAHSA(Black and Hispanic Student Alliance), Blue and White Society (school spirit), Blue Notes (male a capella), Calliope (female a capella), Classics Club, Cooking Club, Crosswinds, Cum Laude, Fencing Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), German Club, Habitat for Humanity, HAS (Hotchkiss Art Society), Hillel, Human Rights Group, International Matters e-Magazine, Investment Club, Knitting Club, Latin/Caribbean Club, LIfeguarding, Mischianza, No Limits, Outing Club,|
- The Hotchkiss School was founded 1891, establishing a tradition of academic excellence in a small-school community with a large-school diversity. Hotchkiss strives to develop in students a lifelong love of learning, responsible citizenship, and personal integrity. The School is a community based on trust, mutual respect, and compassion, and it holds all members of the community accountable for upholding these values. The School is committed to mastery of learning skills, development of intellectual curiosity, excellence, and creativity in all disciplines, and enthusiastic participation in athletics and other school activities. The School encourages students to develop clarity of thought, confidence and facility in expressing ideas, and artistic and aesthetic sensitivity. In and out of the classroom, all members of the community are expected to subject their views and actions to critical examination and to accept responsibility for them. The School hopes that graduates will leave Hotchkiss with a commitment to environmental stewardship and service to others and with a greater understanding of themselves and of their roles in a global society.
- School accreditations: NAIS/CAIS/ TABS
Submit Review for The Hotchkiss School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
November 20, 2016
Choosing a boarding school involves several steps. We guide you through the process and offer advice and help.
November 17, 2016
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.
November 09, 2016
The New England Preparatory School Athletic Council was founded in 1942. It has grown from eleven schools to over one hundred sixty schools. More about NEPSAC and private school sports here.