One Old Homestead Road
Glen Arbor, MI 49636
Glen Arbor, MI 49636
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12 | 44 students
Our beach on Lake Michigan. Simultaneously inspirational and grounding. The perfect backdrop to an educational experience built to launch students into the world with wings.
Bridge across the Crystal River toward the shores of Lake Michigan. A beautiful natural environment providing lasting positive environmental impacts on our students learning.
School Greenhouse - Hands on biology and nutrition courses where students learn to grow the food they eat.
Pinebrook Girls Dormitory - Beautifully updated inside and out. Steps away from the student center, academic building and Crystal River.
For over 80 years, The Leelanau School has challenged high school students to reach beyond their acknowledged potential in every aspect of their lives.
We offer a rigorous college preparatory curriculum using multi-sensory, experiential, and strength-based methodologies.
Students gain awareness of their individual learning styles, build skills and strategies to maximize their learning potential, and grow into independent learners.
Located on the shores of Lake Michigan and on the banks of the Crystal River, Leelanau is a small boarding school with limited enrollment.
We are able to offer students an individualized approach to academics from our expert faculty and an enriching and structured residential life program that continues beyond the school day.
Whether it is in the classroom, on the field, in the dorm, in the equestrian ring, on the slopes, or volunteering in the community, everything is a life-enriching experience.
A student`s time at The Leelanau School is an engaging, unique, memorable, and life changing experience.
A Leelanau education equips students with the educational, physical, and social tools necessary to succeed in today`s competitive world.
|Definition of Terms
2015 School Data
|The Leelanau School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||42 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||44 students||300 students|
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Special Dress required for specified occasions)
|Average Class Size||6 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Incudes books and technology.)
(Incudes books and technology.)
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,000||$21,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Michael Jarvis|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cycling, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
- Leelanau is the experientially-based boarding and day college preparatory high school that provides a customized and independence-building education to students. Leelanau Features:
- An exceptionally devoted and seasoned faculty that provides a multi-sensory, whole-child approach to education.
- Strength-based teaching strategies that build self-esteem and confidence,academically, socially, and emotionally.
- A 1:6 teacher-to-student ratio that allows Leelanau to provide individual guidance to each student for his or her learning development.
- An integrated curriculum that uses innovative teaching techniques to create optimism and satisfaction to students who have struggled academically.
- A natural, safe, and friendly setting that transforms students,fosters creativity and curiosity, and creates stewardship for the environment.
- LD types supported: ADD/ADHD, Language-Based Learning Differences, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, High-Functioning Aspergers
- School accreditations: Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Small Boarding School Association (SBSA)
Submit Review for The Leelanau School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 185 students 173.6 mi101 North University
Beaver Dam, WI 53916
Grades: 9-12, PG | 436 students 208.1 mi1500 West Kennedy Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045
Grades: 9-12| 799 students 211.3 miPO Box 801 39221 Woodward Ave.
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303
Grades: 7-12 | 79 students 222 mi5755 North State Road 9/P.O. Box 240
Howe, IN 46746
Grades: 9-12, PG | 235 students 224.8 mi6801 North Wilhelm Road
La Porte, IN 46350
January 28, 2016
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
January 25, 2016
Here are five questions the answers to which will introduce you to the world of private schools.
January 05, 2016
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.