American Hebrew Academy
- The American Hebrew Academy is the only Jewish college preparatory boarding school in the world.
- We are a caring community with dedicated faculty and staff who challenge Academy students of all backgrounds to maximize their full academic, personal, and spiritual potential, inpsiring our students to discover who they are and who they can become, as learners, as leaders, and as Jews.
- The Academy seeks to educate the whole student - mind, body and soul - while engaging in experiential learning. Our challenging dual curriculum is based on traditional college preparatory classes together with an enriched program of Jewish studies.
- We are American, Mexican, French, Indonesian, Australian (to name a few). We play tennis, soccer, basketball and volleyball. We do theater and art, we love cooking, and science and math. We are conservative, reform, orthodox and every Jew in between.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Indiana University There are so many international students. I met so many people from all around the world each year and was able to learn in classes with them. I had the opportunity to live with them. . .
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill First of all, AHA is a Jewish school. Not only is it Jewish, but it is also not affiliated with any sect or branch of Judaism. The school is accepting of all traditions and customs. . .
- IDF 1. Being a Jew and meeting more Jews around the world blowing the bubble you were used to before and showing you more environment and way of life around the planet. 2.facilities and equipments are on. . .
- Kennesaw State University One aspect of the American Hebrew Academy that I feel makes it unique from other boarding schools is the small class sizes. The maximum capacity for a class was fifteen students; this made classrooms very. . .
- North Carolina State University The mandatory Jewish studies aspect of AHA is a very important thing to me. The religious undertones of the school make it very unique. However I think the most important aspect of the Jewish life. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|American Hebrew||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||100 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||145 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1230||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1200 - 1500||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||24||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(Tuition does not include a $1,200 technology fee)
(Tuition does not include a $1,200 technology fee)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||18329||$22,844|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Barbara Greenstein Boyette|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Laura Berke Hausman|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Active Minds at AHA, AHAcapella, AHArai Student Ambassador Program, Art Club, Book Club, Business Club, Chess Club, Comic Book Club, Creative Writing/Literary Magazine, Dance Club, Four Corners (Tikkun Olam), Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Green Team: Environmental Club, Israel Club, Jewish Life Committee, Partner Dance Club, Positive Psychology Club, Programming Committee, Republican Club, Social Action Board, Special Olympics, Stock Market Club, Student Government, The AHA Standard (Newspaper), Theatrical Society, Women's Advocacy Group (WAG)
- If you want to be intellectually stimulated, in small classes with teachers who engage with you (not just lecture), living in community with Jewish students from all backgrounds from all over the world, the American Hebrew Academy is the high school for you. This academically rigorous, college-prep Jewish high-school educates students in a beautiful camp-like setting with top-notch facilities and accomplished faculty and staff.
- School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, NCAIS, SAIS, AdvancED Accredited
- Submit Review for American Hebrew Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 800 students 476.9 miles582 Columbus Avenue
Thornwood, NY 10594
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 50 students 2161 miles345 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.