American University Preparatory School
345 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Los Angeles, CA 90071
American University Preparatory School Photo #2 - AUP prepares students to be proficient in technological skills needed for the 21st century by requiring them to take Digital Media Arts and Computer Science courses. Our academic curriculum promotes digital fluency in and out of the classroom. Students build a digital portfolio with 2D/3D projects, video productions, computer generated animation artworks, and website/software designs.
American University Preparatory School Photo #3 - AUP is a mosaic of students in a variety of racial, ethnic, religious, and socio-economic backgrounds. Within our rich community of ethnic cultures, AUP strengthens the co-curricular offerings with partnerships that broaden students` experience.
American University Preparatory School Photo #4 - AUP is located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles. In addition to rigorous academics, our goal is to prepare students for the independence and responsibility that comes with living in a city center.
American University Preparatory School Photo #5 - AUP students capitalize on the thriving cultural art scene in Downtown Los Angeles and line their dorm rooms with the latest in digital trends and their own personal works. Our boarding students also have the pleasure of living with a very creative and professional bunch from the Colburn Dance Academy and Music Academy students.
- American University Preparatory School (AUP) is a day and boarding high school (grades 9-12) whose mission is to bring innovative educational curriculum to advance the goals of 21st century learning and thinking.Our initiative is to immerse students in a culture of collaboration, creativity, curiosity, and critical thinking with the goal of preparing them to become confident scholars, leaders, and problem-solvers in local and global spheres.
- All members of the AUP community strive to model the virtues of honesty, self-discipline, responsibility, harmony, selflessness, and respect for others in an effort to promote the common good.
- AUP students live together on site in dorms where we have developed one of the most unique learning environments in education.
- Collaboration and project-based learning across the disciplines and subject areas is not only planned, it is expected.
- Our location is in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles that has evolved into a true "city center" for the arts, culture, business, government, professional sports, theater, and entrepreneurship.
- We have, from the very beginning, structured and organized our curriculum and extra-curricular activities with integration of city life at its core.
- Everyone involved in AUP is energized and excited about the opportunities that we are developing for students. We are deeply committed to the success of this remarkable new approach to college preparation, and we welcome your thoughts on our endeavor.
- AUP welcomed its inaugural class in the Fall of 2014 and the first cohort of seniors graduated in Spring 2017.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
American University Preparatory School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 319 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|American University||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Enrollment||40 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Does not include intl student health insurance.)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Dr. John Valenzuela|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP English, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Intramural Sports Only, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Chinese Club, Culture Club, Leadership, Neuroscience Club, Performing Arts Club, Photography Club, Running Club, Science Club
|Year: 2017 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Hult International School of Business||3|
|University of Southern California||3|
|New School of New York||2|
|UC Santa Cruz||1|
- Central to AUP`s mission is to develop students into global leaders and citizens in the 21st century. Courses are taught by teachers with subject-matter expertise in conjunction with guest lecturers from the fields of public health, environmental science, international studies, political science, economics, and business leadership.
- American University Preparatory School is located in downtown Los Angeles, where it is at the "city center" for the arts, culture, business, government, professional sports, theater, and entrepreneurship. Nearby universities, sports centers, museums, and businesses include USC, UCLA, the STAPLES Center, LA Memorial Coliseum, Exposition Park, the California Science Center, the Natural History Museum, L.A. Fashion District, Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), and the Music Center`s Walt Disney Concert Hall. AUP`s unique metropolitan location provides their students access to meaningful internships and community service projects as part of their curriculum.
- Our most notable partnerships are with the Downtown YMCA and Colburn School of Music and Dance Academy. Students participate in athletics every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at the YMCA center, which is a 5-minute walk from campus. In addition, our students take visual and performing arts classes at the Colburn School just a few blocks away, where they learn from renowned faculty that provide instruction in music, dance and drama.
- Athletes have the opportunity to participate in strong sports programs organized by local club teams.
- American University Preparatory School accreditations: WASC
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for American University Preparatory School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 11.3 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 144 students 8.2 miles2800 Monterey Road
San Marino, CA 91108
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.