American University Preparatory School
Los Angeles is one of the world's largest business and cultural centers. At AUP, students are challenged to connect with the environment and reflect on where they fit into the socio-cultural landscape.
AUP prepares students to be proficient in technological skills needed for the 21st century by requiring them to take Digital Media Arts and Computer Science courses. Our academic curriculum promotes digital fluency in and out of the classroom. Students build a digital portfolio with 2D/3D projects, video productions, computer generated animation artworks, and website/software designs.
AUP is located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles. In addition to rigorous academics, our goal is to prepare students for the independence and responsibility that comes with living in a city center.
- American University Preparatory School (AUP) is an international boarding high school (grades 9-12) whose mission is to bring innovative educational praxes to advance the goals of 21st century learning.
- AUP strives to promote a rigorous and interdisciplinary academic program that merges with student-driven research, project-based learning, and technology literacy.
- Our mission is to immerse students in a culture of collaboration, creativity, curiosity, and critical thinking with the goal of preparing them to become future leaders and problem-solvers in local and global spheres.
- All members of the AUP community strive to model the virtues of honesty, self-discipline, responsibility, harmony, selflessness, and respect for others in an effort to promote the common good.
- We are proud to be the only university preparatory high school in downtown Los Angeles.
- AUP students live together on site in dorms where we have developed one of the most unique learning environments in education. Our students are immersed in the city, living together in a brand new, high tech environment where they earn from top-notch faculty and among themselves.
- Collaboration and project-based learning across the disciplines and subject areas is not only planned, it is expected.
- This is how students learn how to function in the "real world" once they leave AUP. Our location is in the heart of downtown Los Angeles that has evolved into a true "city center" for the arts, culture, business, government, professional sports, theater, and entrepreneurship.
- We have, from the very beginning, structured and organized our curriculum and extra-curricular activities with this goal in mind.
- Everyone involved in AUP is energized and excited about the opportunities that we are developing for students. We are deeply committed to the success of this remarkable new approach to college preparation, and we welcome your thoughts on our endeavor.
- AUP welcomed its inaugural class in the Fall of 2014 and the first cohort of seniors will graduate in Spring 2017.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 326 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|American University||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Enrollment||50 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(Does not include intl student health insurance.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Susan Chen, Ed.D.|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese, AP English, AP Physics, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||1||23|
|Extracurriculars||Science Club, Running Club, Performing Arts Club, Photography Club, Chinese Club, Culture Club,|
- Central to AUP`s mission is to develop students into global leaders and citizens in the 21st century. Courses are taught by teachers with subject-matter expertise in global studies as well as in conjunction with guest lecturers from the fields of public health, environmental science, international studies, political science, economics, and business leadership. The global citizenship course is divided into two semesters: In the first semester of each grade, students gain a theoretical and conceptual knowledge of global issues; in the second semester, students conduct research and design projects to address a global need. In 9th grade, students study Ethics/Understanding Global Societies; in 10th grade, Global Health and Environmental Health Concerns; in 11th grade, Global Policies and Economics; and in 12th grade, Global Leadership and Entrepreneurship.
- American University Preparatory School is located in downtown Los Angeles, where it is at the "city center" for the arts, culture, business, government, professional sports, theater, and entrepreneurship. Nearby universities, sports centers, museums, and businesses include USC, UCLA, the STAPLES Center, LA Memorial Coliseum, Exposition Park, the California Science Center, the Natural History Museum, L.A. Fashion District, Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA), and the Music Center`s Walt Disney Concert Hall. AUP`s unique metropolitan location provides their students access to meaningful internships and community service projects as part of their curriculum.
- Our most notable partnerships are with the Downtown YMCA and Colburn School. Students participate in athletics every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at the YMCA center, which is a 5-minute walk from campus. In addition, our students take visual and performing arts classes at the Colburn School just a few blocks away, where they learn from renowned faculty that provide instruction in music, dance and drama.
- School accreditations: WASC
Submit Review for American University Preparatory School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 11.3 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
Grades: 6-12, PG | 144 students 8.2 miles2800 Monterey Road
San Marino, CA 91108
July 20, 2017
American boarding schools face many challenges in the 21st century. We look at five of these and offer advice.
July 17, 2017
The media loves to focus on things like elitism and how boarding schools are just for troubled kids. Let's look at the truth.
June 28, 2017
Read frequently asked questions on a range of boarding school related topics.