Ben Lippen School
Ben Lippen School Photo #2 - Ben Lippen Resident Houses for boarding students, each staffed by caring houseparents, surround a small lake.
Ben Lippen School Photo #4 - Ben Lippen School offers a variety of extra-curricular activities in the arts and athletics.
Ben Lippen School Photo #6 - In the last five years, Ben Lippen graduates have gained admission to more than 100 different universities including Duke, Ohio State, Purdue, University of North Carolina, University of Southern California, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Virginia Tech, University of California and Penn State.
Ben Lippen School Photo #7 - Ben Lippen School is located in sunny Columbia, South Carolina. Our students have the opportunity to enjoy many outdoor activities all year long.
Ben Lippen School Photo #8 - Ben Lippen offers a large variety of co-educational athletic programs such as cross-country, football, soccer, tennis, volleyball, golf, swimming and basketball.
Ben Lippen School Photo #9 - A highly qualified and dedicated faculty, caring houseparents, modern facilities and high academic standards make Ben Lippen the place for YOU!
- Ben Lippen School offers an alternative to typical dorm life in traditional boarding schools by creating a family atmosphere within contemporary-style houses.
- A structured environment during the week provides for academic excellence and study. Weekends allow for free time, social events, and sports.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Davidson College Ben Lippen School takes international students to both American churches and churches that preach in their native languages. It is a great way to help international students to learn more about American culture and get. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Ben Lippen School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||7-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||7-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||100 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||350 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1666||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants/shorts and polo shirts)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:11||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(Includes room, board, and basic health insurance.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kelly Adams|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Steve Sark|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus-AB, AP Calculus-BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Government and Politics, AP Physics-C, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Mathematics Team, National Honor Society, Student Council, Student Missions Fellowship
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Marching Band, Yearbook
- Boarding Program Basics: The Boarding Program at Ben Lippen High School hosts approximately 80 students from around the world. Countries represented include China, Hong Kong, Switzerland, El Salvador, South Korea, Japan, Mexico, Taiwan, United States, and Vietnam. Ben Lippen School offers an alternative to typical dorm life in traditional boarding schools by creating a family atmosphere within contemporary-style houses. A structured environment during the week provides for academic excellence and study. Weekends allow for free time, social events, and sports. On Sunday, all students participate in worship services and small groups at local churches and on campus.
- Houseparents: Each of our resident houses hold up to 14 students, supervised by caring houseparents who are trained to balance love, encouragement and discipline. Our houseparents come from a variety of backgrounds, some of whom were once boarding students themselves.
- Academics: Boarding students attend classes alongside American day students, providing an enriching cross-cultural experience while greatly enhancing the English skills of the international students. Students participate in honors-level courses and many receive college credit through Advanced Placement (AP) and Dual (college) enrollment courses. Ben Lippen's challenging college prep curriculum prepares students for the academic rigors of higher education, with 100 percent of students being accepted to college. The class of 2017 received over 6 million dollars in renewable scholarships to some of the finest colleges and universities. Recent graduates (both international and domestic) have been accepted to Dartmouth, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northeastern, Clemson, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Southern California, Johns Hopkins University, Duke, Boston College, Georgetown University, University of Washington, Syracuse, University of Illinois, Texas A&M and Penn State University.
- ESL (English as a Second Language): Ben Lippen offers varying levels of ESL instruction, from beginner to advanced.ESL Requirements: 9th and 10th grade applicants must submit a score of 50 or higher on the TOEFL iBT; 11th grade applicants must submit a score of 60 or higher and 12th grade applicants must submit a score of 70 or higher. ESL classes correlate closely with the TOEFL information, thus students are being prepared for the test as they take ESL. Please enter the Ben Lippen School TOEFL school code (3307) for Ben Lippen to receive a student test score page. Our goal is to prepare international students to excel in their high school academics and to be accepted into the college of their choice upon graduation.
- Guidance Program: Every student receives personalized assistance with college applications, financial aid, scholarships, and vocational choices, equipping them for college and beyond.
- Activities: Confidence, personal interests and talents are developed through a wide array of co-curricular opportunities in academics, arts, athletics, leadership and service.
- Accreditation/Affiliations: Ben Lippen School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and is a member of the South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA).
- School accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)/AdvancED, Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. Nathan Hatch '64 - President of Wake Forest University
- Inga Norton, '95 - JP Morgan Bank, Executive Director
- Samkon Gado, '01 - NFL Running Back for Green Bay Packers, Med School Student at University of South Carolina
- Christine Kim, '08 - Korean-born actress and producer for American television and film
- Taewoo "Danny" Kim - Previous Assistant Secretary to South Korean President; internationally-known blogger
- Submit Review for Ben Lippen School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12 | 160 students 185.2 miles1701 Brandon Hall Drive
Atlanta, GA 30350
- Grades: 7-12, PG| 1700 students 267.1 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
September 17, 2018
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 28, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.