Ben Lippen Resident Houses for boarding students, each staffed by caring houseparents, surround a small lake.
In the last five years, Ben Lippen graduates have gained admission to more than 100 different universities including Duke, Ohio State, Purdue, University of North Carolina, University of Southern California, MIT, Johns Hopkins, Virginia Tech, University of California and Penn State.
Ben Lippen School is located in sunny Columbia, South Carolina. Our students have the opportunity to enjoy many outdoor activities all year long.
Ben Lippen offers a large variety of co-educational athletic programs such as cross-country, football, soccer, tennis, volleyball, golf, swimming and basketball.
A highly qualified and dedicated faculty, caring houseparents, modern facilities and high academic standards make Ben Lippen the place for YOU!
- Join our globally diverse learning community based on respect, responsibility, and integrity while stretching yourself academically, developing your interests, and pursuing educational success! A Ben Lippen education emphasizes leadership development and the four "C's": Communication, Collaboration, Critical thinking, and Creativity.
- All classes are taught from a Christian perspective by Christian teachers.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Davidson College Ben Lippen School takes international students to both American churches and churches that preach in their native languages. It is a great way to help international students to learn more about American culture and get. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Ben Lippen School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||7-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||100 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||350 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1666||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Khaki pants/shorts and polo shirts)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:11||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(Includes room, board, and basic health insurance.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Debbie Austin|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kelly Adams|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus-AB, AP Calculus-BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Government and Politics, AP Physics-C, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||23|
|Extracurriculars||Choir, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Marching Band, Mathematics Team, National Honor Society, Student Council, Student Missions Fellowship, Yearbook|
- Boarding Program Basics: The Boarding Program at Ben Lippen High School hosts approximately 80 students from around the world. Countries represented include China, Hong Kong, Switzerland, El Salvador, South Korea, Japan, Mexico, Taiwan, United States, and Vietnam. Ben Lippen School offers an alternative to typical dorm life in traditional boarding schools by creating a family atmosphere within contemporary-style houses. A structured environment during the week provides for academic excellence and study. Weekends allow for free time, social events, and sports. On Sunday, all students participate in worship services and small groups at local churches and on campus.
- Houseparents: Each of our six resident houses hold up to 14 students, supervised by caring houseparents who are trained to balance love, encouragement and discipline. Our houseparents come from a variety of backgrounds, some of which were once boarding students themselves. Click here for our houseparent bios.
- Academics: Boarding students attend classes alongside American day students, providing an enriching cross-cultural experience while greatly enhancing the English skills of the international students. Students participate in honors-level courses and many receive college credit through Advanced Placement (AP) and Dual (college) enrollment courses. Ben Lippen's challenging college prep curriculum prepares students for the academic rigors of higher education, with 100 percent of students being accepted to college. The class of 2015 received over 6 million dollars in renewable scholarships to some of the finest colleges and universities. Recent graduates have been accepted to Harvard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Washington University in St. Louis, University of Southern California, Duke, Boston College, University of Washington, Syracuse, Washington University in St. Louis and Penn State.
- ESL (English as a Second Language): Ben Lippen offers varying levels of ESL instruction, from beginner to advanced.ESL Requirements: Ben Lippen does have non-native English requirements for applicants in the eleventh and twelfth grades. The TOEFL iBT standard is used. Juniors are required to start the year with a TOEFL of a 60, and seniors are required to start the year with a TOEFL of a 70. ESL classes correlate closely with the TOEFL information, thus students are being prepared for the test as they take ESL. Please enter the Ben Lippen School TOEFL school code (3307) for Ben Lippen to automatically receive a student test score page. Our goal is to prepare international students to excel in their high school academics and to be accepted into the college of their choice upon graduation.
- Guidance Program: Every student receives personalized assistance with college applications, financial aid, scholarships, and vocational choices, equipping them for college and beyond.
- Activities: Confidence, personal interests and talents are developed through a wide array of co-curricular opportunities in academics, arts, athletics, leadership and service.Click here for information on the partnership with Ben Lippen School and The Arts Team, LLC., which provides students the opportunity to take individual and group lessons from acclaimed artists, dancers, and musicians after school on our campus.
- Accreditation/Affiliations: Ben Lippen School is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and is a member of the South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA).
- Click here for more information or to apply.
- Click here to see pictures of Ben Lippen School students and events.
- School accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)/AdvancED, Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), South Carolina Independent School Association (SCISA)
Submit Review for Ben Lippen School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12, PG| 1700 students 267.1 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Grades: 7-12| 170 students 185.1 miles1701 Brandon Hall Drive
Atlanta, GA 30350
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.