Darrow School Photo #2 - Everyone at Darrow is both a teacher and a learner. Our small classes sizes allow students to develop strong relationships with their faculty, emphasizing the transactional nature of education.
Darrow School Photo #3 - At Darrow, we know that students learn best when they are supported, and our inclusive community focuses on valuing one another for all of our unique perspectives and experiences. Darrow students take special pride in their ability to make every interaction as positive as possible.
Darrow School Photo #4 - Problem-solving, creating, and making are key to a transformative educational experience. Darrow students learn by doing, and in the process, they become comfortable with making mistakes and troubleshooting. They are uniquely prepared for college because they understand how to apply what they're learning in the classroom to what they're doing outside the classroom.
Darrow School Photo #5 - Collaboration is at the center of student work at Darrow. Students learn how to communicate effectively, make comprises, and get the best out of one another by working together on group projects.
Darrow School Photo #6 - Everything at Darrow begins with community. Our community is strong and distinctive because it is based on kindness, celebration of our incredible diversity, and active engagement in the work and joy of everyday life. Find your people at Darrow School.
Darrow School Photo #7 - Boarding school doesn't have to be "school away from home" - it can be a second home. We cultivate a strong sense of place, and you'll find students relaxing and working in many different areas on campus. Students live, work, and study at Darrow, all the while learning to be stewards of their own space.
- At The Darrow School, we know that future success is important, but we also know that reliance on standardized tests, AP courses, and college matriculations can impede the ability of young people to experience success in the present.
- And we don`t subscribe to the notion that a college-preparatory education should be all about where students end up.
- Preparing students for success after high school means challenging them to find meaning in everything they do; showing them how to communicate with a diverse group of people with an eye toward collaboration and cooperation; developing them into confident self-advocates; and teaching them to care about the world and the people around them.We have seen the impacts that pressure-cooker environments can have on students.
- The negative internalizations that develop around the idea of school can be demotivating, at best, and crippling at worst.
- At Darrow, we`ve also seen how quickly those negative internalizations can be untangled, allowing students to rediscover a love of learning and a desire to be inspired.You`ll find more information throughout our site on the features and benefits of Darrow.
- But as to the question of "why Darrow?", the answer is straightforward: because the world needs what we offer.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Marist The teachers at Darrow are the main thing that stands out to me. They are not only devoted to teaching you but also seeing you succeed and helping you become the best person you can. . .
- University of New Hampshire Darrow is a beautiful school set on a National Historic Landmark, that of the first Shaker settlement in the USA. It holds this history in the buildings still used as dorms and academic spaces, and. . .
- Furman University Every Wednesday all students and faculty were grouped into a 'crew' where we would help out around different parts of campus or in the community the school was apart of. It was like community service. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Darrow School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||365 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1115||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5.5 million||$20 million|
(Includes both tuition and boarding fees)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$42,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Nicholas Forcier|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Stephanie Boulay|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
Club or Organization:
Blogging Club, Student Government, Students of Diversity, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Fides, Theatre, Vocal Music Instruction
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Calorie Gallery, Etymology, Finance Club, Outdoor Education, Yoga
|Year: 2017 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Parsons School of Design||1|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Darrow School campus is, in a word, spectacular. Peaceful, private, and brimming with natural color and beauty, not to mention a diverse mix of cultures and ideas, it`s unlike any other private school campus -and probably most other places- you`ve experienced.
- At The Darrow School, we`re all about trying something new. In fact, it`s a requirement. Take courses in different subject areas, audition for a role in the play, switch from point guard (basketball) to catcher (softball)...but whatever you do, find some meaning in it. Discover that you love literature, find your gift for acting, or learn what a point guard is (basketball). Whatever it is, learn to love it.
- Inquire now.
- LD types supported: dyslexia, mild learning differences
- Darrow School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Charles Conrad - Apollo 12 Commander, third man to walk on the moon
- Chris 'Mad Dog' Russo - Radio Sportscaster, Author
- Sam Harper, '79 - Screenplay writer of Cheaper by the Dozen & Cheaper by the Dozen II
- Bill Hudnut - Former mayor of Indianapolis & Congressman, author
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Darrow School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 174 students 106.7 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.