EF Academy Torbay
EF Academy Torbay Photo #6 - There are four student residences at EF Academy Torbay. All grade 9 and 10 students live in residences, while grade 11 and 12 students also have the option to live with local host families.
EF Academy Torbay Photo #7 - We love to take advantage of our surroundings! Students are welcome to go kayaking and rock climbing.
EF Academy Torbay Photo #8 - Torquay's coast path is among the most picturesque in the UK and the area has been recognized by UNESCO. Torquay is within easy reach of the cities Plymouth and Exeter, which are home to great Universities. Exeter is ranked 7th in the UK
- At EF Academy Torbay, our campus extends beyond the classrooms into the quaint town in which the school is nestled.
- The community - made up of students, school staff and locals - has often been described as a family, and you will feel very much at home in this nurturing learning environment.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- CASS Business School What makes this school unique is that staffs and students are so friendly that make you feel welcome which is hard to find eleswhere. . .
- - We all are like a family and it makes our school unique, different from others. We are an international school, and we are here away from our families but coming to this school one can. . .
- Cardiff University Being an International Private Boarding School in the UK, EF Academy Torbay offers the opportunity to get into world renowned universities for students who have the willingness to study overseas. Guided and taught by experienced. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
EF Academy Torbay is Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|EF Academy Torbay|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian|
|Campus Size||3 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||33|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,900|
(Pre-IB and ESL Program)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Twin room in host family)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jason M. Kirschner|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Danielle Schwartz|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||n/a|
|Courses||IB Biology SL/HL, IB Chemistry SL/HL, IB Core: CAS, EE & TOK, IB Economics SL/HL, IB English A: Language and Literature SL/HL, IB English B SL/HL, IB Environmental Systems and Societies SL, IB Film SL/HL, IB German A: Literature SL/HL, IB German ab Initio SL, IB Global Politics SL/HL, IB Information and Technology in a Global Society SL/HL, IB Mathematical Studies SL, IB Mathematics SL/HL, IB Native Language A: Literature SL, IB Physics SL/HL, IB Psychology SL/HL, IB Spanish A: Literature SL/HL, IB Spanish ab Initio SL, IB Visual Arts SL/HL|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||3 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Swimming|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||29 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Asian Cooking & Culture Club, Cooking Club, Debate & Public Speaking, Duke of Edinburgh Award, Game Night, Languages Club, Math Club, Model UN, Robotics, Science Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Dance with Torbay Dance School, Drama Club, Drumming Club, Guitar Club, Impact Magazine, Performing Arts & Drama, Photography Club, Piano Club, Singing
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery Club, Badminton Club, Basketball, Climbing Club, Sailing, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Life on England's south coast
- Torbay's coffee shops, art galleries, boutiques and restaurants are just a stroll away from campus. Here, you will experience how students and locals weave together to create a tight-knit, welcoming community. On weekends, students often enjoy exploring nearby Babbacombe Beach, the harbor or going horseback riding. You will also have opportunities to go on teacher-led trips to Exeter and London.
- Student life at EF Academy Torbay is varied, exciting and stimulating. We have built strong links with local businesses in the community that open their doors to our students. As an EF Academy student, you have free access to the local rock climbing and cycling centers, the gym and swimming pool, and you can receive discounts at some cafes and restaurants, just by showing your school identification. School staff also organize themed Enrichment Weeks that are designed to develop students' academic understanding through co-curricular activities and cultural trips. Each enrichment Week focuses on a subject area final year take part in "higher education days," which include visiting universities to learn more about the application process and what to expect at university.
- If your interest is to continue on with university studies in the United Kingdom, our academic staff can prepare you for the exams you need and they will also take you on campus tours of the universities in the area. The UK's efficient train system allows for easy university visits to Bristol, Southampton, Exeter, as well as to London, Oxford and Cambridge.
- Our on-campus facilities have been designed to inspire you. The art studio has large windows that face the sea - perfect for landscape study. The purpose-build physics, biology and chemistry labs are ideal for conducting experiments and research in class and with study groups. EF Academy Torbay is located on top of a hill and its most prominent feature is its modern-day castle where several classrooms are housed. From its outdoor terrace, you can enjoy a breathtaking view of the town of Torquay and the sea below. Our residences provide a comfortable place you can call home. Here you can also take part in friendly house competitions and social events such as dinner and movie nights.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for EF Academy Torbay
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12 | 260 students 3069.7 miles80 chemin Moulton Hill
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1M 1Z8
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 400 students 146.1 milesColdharbour Lane
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Thorpe, Surrey TW20 8TE, United Kingdom tw20 8te
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 40 students 5375.2 miles345 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?