George Stevens Academy
- George Stevens Academy is an independent high school located on the coast of Maine.
- Grounded in its traditions, the Academy is a caring educational community invested in meeting the needs of each student.
- The Academy offers a challenging, comprehensive program of studies that fosters intellectual inquiry and the pursuit of knowledge, inspires creativity, develops self-reliance, and prepares its graduates for a purposeful life in an ever-changing world.
- The extensive curriculum includes AP and honors courses, environmental and marine science, programs in the arts and industrial technology, ESL, and three foreign languages.
- With over 35 clubs, activities, and sports, Academy students have many opportunities to explore their interests.
- Some of the more unique possibilities for involvement are a sailing team, an award-winning jazz band, a chamber music group, an annual arts festival, and an Independent Study and Internship Program.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|George Stevens||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||270 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||311 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1532||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||7||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$9 million||$17 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Michael Foster|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
American, Book Club, Chess Club, Civil, Environmental, International Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2008||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Maine||14|
|University of Southern Maine||4|
|St Joseph's College||2|
|University of Vermont||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Beautiful, safe campus on the coast of Maine.
- Small, family-style residence halls for boarding students.
- Host family option for international students. Extensive orientation program for international students before the school year begins.
- Personal attention from teachers and staff. Wireless technology throughout school and residence halls; all students receive MacBook Air laptops to work on.
- Challenging academic curriculum with honors options.
- Comprehensive college counseling.
- Independent Study Program for juniors and seniors.
- Industrial technology.
- Outdoor leadership program.
- Academic support program. Accomodations for mild learning differences.
- Four levels of English as a Second Language.
- Award-winning jazz program.
- 12 varsity and JV sports.
- School accreditations: NAIS, NEASC, ISANNE, MAIS, TABS
- Submit Review for George Stevens Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 119.4 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 435 students 62.6 miles975 West Main Street
Dover Foxcroft, ME 04426
February 07, 2018
Because paying for boarding school involves so much money, it makes sense to look at all the options available to you.
January 12, 2018
December 22, 2017
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.