Grand River Academy
- Grand River Academy, founded in 1831, is located in northeast Ohio, about an hour east of Cleveland.
- GRA is a college preparatory boarding and day school that helps young men, grades 9 - 12 with a Post Graduate option as well, activate their academic, emotional and social potential and prepares them for lifelong success.
- In addition to the traditional school year, GRA offers a four-week Summer Academy and also has a 100% college acceptance rate among graduates.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UCLA What I like the most was the balance between Sports and academics. They never compromised our Academics for Sports. They would encourage having a study buddy. With my study buddy, we used to wake up. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Grand River Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||200 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes and tie)
|Average Class Size||6 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||8||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,500|
|Endowment Size||$1.9 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$57,650||$53,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Tony Tucker|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Nicole Conrad|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||24|
|Extracurriculars||Computer Club, Peer Leaders, Service|
Club or Organization:
Animation Club, Fishing Club, Outdoor Adventure Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Digital Art
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- GRA offers a college-prep curriculum with smaller class sizes (6:1 student:teacher ratio), and focused attention on the individual student. Learning is also emphasized outside of the classroom, as our program helps to develop young men emotionally and socially as well.
- Extracurricular activities include a variety of varsity sports, a no-cut athletic policy, and clubs/organizations that are student driven by current interests.
- Foundations Learning Program that is a credited, elective course that builds the foundation for academic success through comprehensive educational support. Includes a learning style inventory and assessment and daily sessions that are designed to promote independent learning through individualized tutorials that emphasize organizational skills, time management, and self-advocacy.
- The Productive Growth Center, a unique program that provides not only a dedicated space for individual and group counseling, but also an interactive and recreational space featuring a hand tool workshop.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences, ADD/ADHD and Executive Functioning Deficits
- Grand River Academy accreditations: TABS, OAIS, NAIS, ODE, ISACS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Grand River Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 35 students 124.2 miles61830 Sandy Ridge Road
Barnesville, OH 43713
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?