Grand River Academy
Grand River Academy, founded in 1831, is located in northeast Ohio, about an hour east of Cleveland.
GRA is a college preparatory boarding and day school that helps young men, grades 8 - 12 with a Post Graduate option as well, activate their academic, emotional and social potential and prepares them for lifelong success.
In addition to the traditional school year, GRA offers a four-week Summer Academy and also has a 100% college acceptance rate among graduates.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UCLA What I like the most was the balance between Sports and academics. They never compromised our Academics for Sports. They would encourage having a study buddy. With my study buddy, we used to wake up. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Grand River Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||230 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1150||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Dress shirt, dress pants, dress shoes and tie)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,500|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$25 million|
|Tuition international students||$57,650||$54,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Austin Farber|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||18|
|Courses||Algebra 2, Calculus, Chemistry, English, Geometry, History, Philosophy, Physics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
|Extracurriculars||Computer Club, Peer Leaders, Service|
Club or Organization:
Animation Club, Fishing Club, Outdoor Adventure Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Digital Art
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 1999 - 2000||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of London||1|
|Kent State University||1|
|New York University||1|
|University of Minnesota||1|
|University of Utah||1|
- GRA offers a college-prep curriculum with smaller class sizes (6:1 student:teacher ratio), and focused attention on the individual student. Learning is also emphasized outside of the classroom, as our program helps to develop young men emotionally and socially as well.
- Extracurricular activities include a variety of varsity sports, a no-cut athletic policy, and clubs/organizations that are student driven by current interests.
- Foundations Learning Program that is a credited, elective course that builds the foundation for academic success through comprehensive educational support. Includes a learning style inventory and assessment and daily sessions that are designed to promote independent learning through individualized tutorials that emphasize organizational skills, time management, and self-advocacy.
- The Productive Growth Center, a unique program that provides not only a dedicated space for individual and group counseling, but also an interactive and recreational space featuring a hand tool workshop.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences, ADD/ADHD and Executive Functioning Deficits
- Grand River Academy accreditations: TABS, OAIS, NAIS, ODE, ISACS
Profile last updated: 03/02/2021
- Submit Review for Grand River Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 35 students 124.2 miles61830 Sandy Ridge Road
Barnesville, OH 43713
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.