- "Founded in 1884 by Rev. Endicott Peabody, Groton's original aims included the intellectual, moral and physical development of its students in grades seven through twelve towards preparation for both college and 'the active work of life.' Now a coeducational, primarily residential school of 186 girls and 194 boys in grades eight through twelve, we set for our students the highest standards of academic achievement, intellectual growth, ethical awareness and behavior, sportsmanship, athletic endeavor and service to others...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University I think the most influential part of Groton is it’s emphasis on community. As an effect of the small size and commitment to inclusion, Groton skillfully combines the independence that comes with attending a boarding. . .
- University of Virginia Groton is unique in its campus set-up. It is centered around the "Circle" a large expanse of grass that is used as a soccer field in the fall and for lawn games in the spring. . .
- Stanford University Groton is a small school in the countryside with immense resources and an extremely demanding academic atmosphere; the first word most students associate with the School is "intense." The School's long history and honored traditions. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Groton School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 322 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2019 School Data
|Groton School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||450 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||382 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1470||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||32||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||57||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$380 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$46,003||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||90%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Ian M. Gracey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||23|
|Extracurriculars||Lilith (girls singing group)|
Club or Organization:
Alliance for Student Harmony, Amnesty International Club, Art Club, GCS (Groton Community Service Organization), Grotonian (Literary Paper), Hillel, Hispanic Lanino Forum, Horizon (historical review), Investment Club, Islamic Society, Japanese Club, Model UN, Scudder's (School Snack Bar), Shalom, Social Services Club, Spirit Committee, Student Activities Committee, Student Response Group, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Interact Club-Rotary International, Judicial Committee
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Virginia||10|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Groton comprises what seem like contradictions. It`s a small school with the resources and programs of a much larger one. School traditions reserve time for sharing modern ideas and diverse personal relationships. An emphasis on developing character, intellect, and leadership encourages the risk-taking that assures student self-discovery. A serene, rural campus provides the location for a lively, fast-paced, and rewarding education. Our students' personal growth, scholarship, athleticism, and artistic talent are nurtured carefully. Annually, 37% of the students receive $6.5 million in need-based aid.
- Groton School accreditations: NEASC
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Groton School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.
Applying to boarding school is a long process with many parts to it. This checklist will help you organize the process and manage your time efficiently.