- "Founded in 1884 by Rev. Endicott Peabody, Groton's original aims included the intellectual, moral and physical development of its students in grades seven through twelve towards preparation for both college and 'the active work of life.' Now a coeducational, primarily residential school of 186 girls and 194 boys in grades eight through twelve, we set for our students the highest standards of academic achievement, intellectual growth, ethical awareness and behavior, sportsmanship, athletic endeavor and service to others...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Virginia Groton is unique in its campus set-up. It is centered around the "Circle" a large expanse of grass that is used as a soccer field in the fall and for lawn games in the spring. . .
- Stanford University Groton is a small school in the countryside with immense resources and an extremely demanding academic atmosphere; the first word most students associate with the School is "intense." The School's long history and honored traditions. . .
- MIT The single most impressive aspect of Groton is the dedication, quality, and passion of the faculty. My teachers were always well prepared for their classes and when I wanted to meet them outside of class. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Groton School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 332 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Groton School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||415 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||382 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1470||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||32||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||57||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$350 million||$18 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$46,003||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||90%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Ian M. Gracey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||24|
|Extracurriculars||Lilith (girls singing group)|
Club or Organization:
Alliance for Student Harmony, Amnesty International Club, Art Club, GCS (Groton Community Service Organization), Grotonian (Literary Paper), Hillel, Hispanic Lanino Forum, Horizon (historical review), Investment Club, Islamic Society, Japanese Club, Model UN, Scudder's (School Snack Bar), Shalom, Social Services Club, Spirit Committee, Student Activities Committee, Student Response Group, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Interact Club-Rotary International, Judicial Committee
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Virginia||10|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Groton comprises what seem like contradictions. It`s a small school with the resources and programs of a much larger one. School traditions reserve time for sharing modern ideas and diverse personal relationships. An emphasis on developing character, intellect, and leadership encourages the risk-taking that assures student self-discovery. A serene, rural campus provides the location for a lively, fast-paced, and rewarding education. Our students' personal growth, scholarship, athleticism, and artistic talent are nurtured carefully. Annually, 37% of the students receive $6.5 million in need-based aid.
- Groton School accreditations: NEASC
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Groton School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.