28 Patey Circle
Rindge, NH 03461
Rindge, NH 03461
- Hampshire Country School is a small boarding school where boys who have very high intellectual ability but require too much attention for larger schools can thrive, excel, and have friends.
- It is designed to provide a solid education, healthy activities, and all the support of a camp-like boarding school community.
- The best entering ages are 8 to 11 years old.
- Most students are of middle school age. A few may remain through high school graduation, but most transfer elsewhere to compete high school.
- Most students have had difficulty in large schools, perhaps because they are socially young for their age, need a tremendous amount of adult attention, may be disruptive, are emotionally complex, or are more interested in intellectual than athletic pursuits.
- Despite difficulties they may have had elsewhere, they are a likeable group that want to please adults and wish they could excel at everything.
- Students may carry such diagnoses as ADHD, autism spectrum disorder, nonverbal learning disabilities, or poor executive function.
- The school is not for students who have ever experimented with or used alcohol, tobacco, or illicit drugs.
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Hampshire Country School|
|School Focus||Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 3-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||1700 acres|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Collared shirts required for classes. Jackets & ties, for Sunday dinner.)
|Average Class Size||4 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:2|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No|
|Director of Admissions||William Dickerman|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Canoe Club, Drama Club, Drawing, Floor Hockey, Hiking Club, Kickball, Music lessons (piano, brass, singing), Soccer, Tennis|
- All students are boarding students. Most faculty live on campus.
- The ideal student is bright, has a good heart, and wants to please but may have had serious difficulty adjusting socially to large schools and complex social environments.
- Traditional courses in history, English, math, science, and a foreign language are taught in classes of 3 to 6 students. Courses are designed for students who have high ability in some areas but may have serious gaps in other areas and who may need more teacher attention and reminders than would be available in most schools.
- Students and faculty sit down together for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the school dining room.
- Home-style dorms with single and double student rooms, a living room, and a kitchen house 4 to 7 students and a resident dorm parent.
- Outdoor activities include hiking, canoeing, recreation-level sports (floor hockey, tennis, soccer, touch football, etc.), sledding, capture the flag, building snow forts, and lots of informal outdoor play.
- Indoor activities include art, music lessons, drama, cooking, and board games.
- Typical student interests include reading, drawing, discussing intellectual trivia, looking for frogs and salamanders, building with Legos, playing Magic and Warhammer, fishing, and chasing through the woods.
- Hampshire Country School provides an active, structured, supportive environment but one that at the same time is comfortable and relaxed, with time for individual contemplation and play.
- Behavioral and educational expectations are high, but Hampshire Country School is a forgiving and supportive place with room for making mistakes.
- The 1700-acre campus includes fields, streams, ponds, and a 1400-acre nature preserve (the Wapack Wilderness).
- Hampshire Country School is not appropriate for students who have used or experimented with alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs.
- With its nurturing environment, 100% boarding population, and on-campus faculty, HCS is an excellent choice for students far from home, including Americans living abroad.
- LD types supported: High ability with Nonverbal learning disabilities, Asperger
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Temple Grandin - Internationally prominent authority on livestock management and autism.
Submit Review for Hampshire Country School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 3-9| 204 students 36.3 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
Grades: 5-9 | 150 students 31.8 miles404 Robin Hill Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
Grades: 3-8| 45 students 470.5 miles128 Oakland Farm Way
Troy, VA 22974
Grades: 4-9 | 65 students 141.9 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
May 25, 2017
Financing a boarding school education can be very confusing for many parents. Here are some strategies to help you understand your options.
May 25, 2017
You need to know what is being taught before you decide which boarding school is best for you.
May 25, 2017
Get admissions officer's Clayton Johnston's perspective on how to choose the best boarding school for you.