Hampshire Country School
- Hampshire Country School is a small boarding school where boys who have very high intellectual ability but require too much attention for larger schools can thrive, excel, and have friends.
- It is designed to provide a solid education, healthy activities, and all the support of a camp-like boarding school community.
- The best entering ages are 8 to 11 years old.
- Most students are of middle school age. A few may remain through high school graduation, but most transfer elsewhere to compete high school.
- Most students have had difficulty in large schools, perhaps because they are socially young for their age, need a tremendous amount of adult attention, may be disruptive, are emotionally complex, or are more interested in intellectual than athletic pursuits.
- Despite difficulties they may have had elsewhere, they are a likeable group that want to please adults and wish they could excel at everything.
- Students may carry such diagnoses as ADHD, autism spectrum disorder, nonverbal learning disabilities, or poor executive function.
- The school is not for students who have ever experimented with or used alcohol, tobacco, or illicit drugs.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Hampshire Country School|
|School Focus||Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 3-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||1700 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Collared shirts required for classes. Jackets & ties, for Sunday dinner.)
|Average Class Size||4 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:2|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||William Dickerman|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Biking, Canoeing, Cooking and Baking, Drawing, Floor hockey, Hiking, Kickball, Music lessons (piano, brass, singing), Skiing, Soccer, Strategy board games, Tennis|
- All students are boarding students.
- The ideal student is bright, has a good heart, and wants to please but may have had serious difficulty adjusting socially to large schools and complex social environments.
- Traditional courses in history, English, math, science, and a foreign language are taught in classes of 3 to 6 students. Courses are designed for students who have high intellectual ability in some areas but may have serious gaps in other areas and who may need much more teacher attention and involvement than would be available in most schools.
- Students and faculty sit down together for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the school dining room.
- Home-style dorms with single and double student rooms, a living room, and a kitchen house 4 to 7 students and a resident dorm parent.
- Activities include hiking, canoeing, recreation-level sports (floor hockey, tennis, soccer, touch football, etc.), archery, sledding, capture the flag, building snow forts, music lessons, board games, cooking, and lots of informal outdoor and indoor play.
- Typical student interests include reading, drawing, discussing intellectual trivia, looking for frogs and salamanders, building with Legos, playing compex strategy games, fishing, and chasing through the woods.
- Hampshire Country School provides an active, structured, supportive environment but one that at the same time is comfortable and relaxed, with time for individual contemplation and play.
- Behavioral and educational expectations are high, but Hampshire Country School is a forgiving and supportive place with room for making mistakes and time for learning new habits.
- The 1700-acre campus includes fields, streams, ponds, and a 1400-acre nature preserve (the Wapack Wilderness).
- Hampshire Country School is not appropriate for students who have used or experimented with alcohol, tobacco, or illegal drugs.
- With its nurturing environment, 100% boarding population, and on-campus faculty, HCS is an excellent choice for students far from home, including Americans living abroad.
- LD types supported: High ability Autism Spectrum, ADHD, Poor Exec Func
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Temple Grandin '66 - Internationally prominent authority on livestock management and autism.
- Submit Review for Hampshire Country School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 204 students 36.3 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 3-8| 45 students 470.5 miles128 Oakland Farm Way
Troy, VA 22974
- Grades: 5-9 | 150 students 31.8 miles404 Robin Hill Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
- Grades: 4-9 | 65 students 141.9 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
- Grades: 6-12 | 60 students 35.1 miles14 Greenwood Lane
Putney, VT 05346
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.