High Mowing School
On the Hill, learning continues outside of the classroom: in the afternoon there are many extracurricular and athletics opportunities; in May, students and faculty embark on two-week immersive experiences during Projects Block; and throughout the year High Mowing's festivals and traditions promote a culture of inclusivity, a respect for diversity, and a reverence for life.
Waldorf Education brings age-appropriate content and methods to each stage of a child's development. The Waldorf approach recognizes human beings as three-fold in nature consisting of a mind, spirit, and body and educates that entire being in preparation for a life of meaning and purpose.
- The High Mowing curriculum is a well-rounded college preparatory experience that prepares our students for lives of meaning and purpose.Our curriculum, based in the wisdom of Waldorf pedagogy, is enriched by a team of talented and experienced teachers, rooted in a place of stunning natural beauty, and informed by over 70 years of tradition.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|High Mowing School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||250 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||120 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Liane Odom|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Liz McSweeney|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Freestyle Skiing, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Orienteering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||5||23|
|Extracurriculars||All School Play, Hatha Yoga, Rock Climbing, Sinfonietta, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Year: 2011 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Atlantic||7|
|Savannah College of Art and Design||4|
|University of New Hampshire||3|
|Berklee College of Music||2|
- High Mowing is the oldest Waldorf boarding and day high school in North America. In 1942, Mrs. Beulah Emmet, inspired by the work and thought of Rudolf Steiner, converted her family country home into a Waldorf high school. The charming hilltop farm ideally suited the warm, home-like atmosphere she sought for her students, and it even suggested the school`s name (mowing is an old New England term for "hayfield"). Since that time, High Mowing has offered teenagers the unique combination of Waldorf education and community living (9th to 12th Grade).
- In the 1970s, the school formed a partnership with Pine Hill Waldorf School (an elementary Waldorf school now located just across the road) to offer a complete K-12 Waldorf program in Wilton, New Hampshire.
- School accreditations: Accredited by the New England Association of Schools & Colleges (NEASC) and the Association of Waldorf Schools of North America (AWSNA), A member in good standing of The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), the Association of Independent Schools of New England (AISNE)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Juliana Margulies ('84) - American actress and producer. After several small television roles, Margulies achieved both critical and commercial success in her role as Carol Hathaway on NBC's long-running medical drama ER, for which she won an Emmy Award. Margulies has won eight Scr
- Nathaniel Howe ('01) - Emmy Award-winning Creative Director Nathaniel Howe has extensive experience elevating brands to new levels through thoughtful and custom-tailored strategies. He specializes in connecting with the essence of a brand and articulating it in an impactful and
- Dr. Geta JAMES LeSeur-Brown '53 - (University of Arizona Professor of English, Women's Studies and Black Studies. Author: Not All Okies are White: The Lives of Black Cotton Pickers in Arizona. “
- Guy WOLFF '70 - World Renowned Master Potter
- Penelope JENCKS Hurwitz '53 - Sculptor, most famous for her Eleanor Roosevelt Memorial Sculpture, Commissioned 1996
- Jovial KING '00 - Founder, CEO and Creative Director, Urban Moonshine Organic Herbal Apothecary
- Meredith HALL '67 - UNH Professor and author of Without a Map
- Submit Review for High Mowing School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 94.7 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
- Grades: 9-12 | 90 students 74.8 miles291 South Street
Williamstown, MA 01267
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.