Hillcrest Academy Photo #2 - Hillcrest's college preparatory curriculum prepares students for the SAT, ACT and college rigor.
Hillcrest Academy Photo #3 - While Hillcrest is a small school, students receive incredible opportunities. Hillcrest's worship arts program and mission experiences are a few extra-curriculars that many schools don't emphasize outside athletic offerings. At Hillcrest, purposed mentorship allow students to explore talents and dreams to equip them for a life of significance.
Hillcrest Academy Photo #4 - Hilcrest Academy's main classroom building is a traditional boarding school. Boasting near 100 years of serving families with college preparatory education, Hillcrest's outlook is bright for the future with increasing enrollment year-over-year for the past 5 years.
Hillcrest Academy Photo #5 - Hillcrest's graduates are prepared for the cultures in the world through the inter-cultural experience they have had at Hillcrest. Over 95% of Hillcrest's graduates move from the Castle to a four year University or college setting.
Hillcrest Academy Photo #6 - Hillcrest Academy is ethnically and racially diverse. Students from around the world prefer the Hillcrest dormitory experience over a home-stay or other boarding option because of the life-long friendships and general support students experience from teachers, staff and fellow students.
Hillcrest Academy Photo #7 - Hillcrest's Concert Choir and Concert Band conduct a 2-week tour across the United States. Recently they traveled to the American South-West on their 14 day tour where they performed 16 concerts for various church groups and organizations.
Hillcrest Academy Photo #8 - Every weekend students participate in organized events at Hillcrest Academy. These events draw in the diverse community at Hillcrest to build strong friendships and enable quality mentor opportunities between instructors, staff and students.
- Hillcrest holds disctinction in Robotics, Mathematics, and Knowledgebowl competitions, earning regional awards and competing in State competitions over the past 8 years.
- Hillcrest boasts over 10 clubs and 10 sports for students interested in extra-curricular involvement.
- Hillcrest is recognized as one of the nation's leading Christian Boarding Schools, integrating virture into every academic discipline through the Bible and Biblical Worldview
- Hillcrest students experience a life-change, developing confidence in skills, beliefs, and ability to communicate through an intercultral and multi-ethnic experience (students from Asia, Africa, Europe, and North and Central America).
- Students use limited technology, gaining from the mentor-style education system at Hillcrest and gleaning perspective from the various ethnicities and cultures a part of our campus (each domestic student has an international roommate).
- Every teacher at Hillcrest believes the Bible is infallible, and uses the Bible as a primary textbook in their classes, a strong proof to each faculty and staff members holding a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- All teachers are certified and credentialed through the Association of Christian Schools International, and Hillcrest is accredited through the Minnesota Non-Public Schools Accrediting Association
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- N/A Hillcrest has many strengths, but two stand out specifically. First, the faculty and staff are incredibly responsive and focused on the spiritual and academic development of the students. Our adopted son is a first. . .
- Bethel University Culture/AtmosphereAt Hillcrest I always felt the benefit of having a very tight knit group of students. There was an added level of comfortability because we were so close as a student body. Small schools are. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Hillcrest Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||25 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||207 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1210||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Our focus is training students to dress appropriately, working to teach to the heart of students as they make decisions.)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$20 million|
(Includes program fees)
(Includes program fees)
|Tuition international students||$23,260||$49,375|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$3,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Sep. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Wayne Stender|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||18||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Book Club, Chess Club, Club Golf, Cooking Club, Dominican Mission Team, Drama Club, Evangelism Club, Key Club, Knitting Club, Robotics, Rotary Club, Students for Life America, Theatre Mainstage Production
Arts and Music Programs:
Club Fencing, Concert Club, Honor, Jazz Club
- Hillcrest Academy is a private Christian college praparatory boarding high school for grades 9-12. Hillcrest enrolls students from around the world and offers English as a second culture and ESL classes.
- Hillcrest is located in west-central Minnesota on 25 acres of the Ottertail River. Being tucked away in the city of Fergus Falls, Hillcrest is only 45 miles east of Fargo, North Datoka and 150 miles from Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Athletic facilities include one full size gymnasium with a weight-room, one 3/4 sized gymnasium, a full-court soccer field and lighted football field.
- Hillcrest was founded in 1935 after a group of churches called for a school where their students could process the Christian life. Through the rigorous academic program, students at Hillcrest are directed to engage in the world through the various mission and study-and-mission programs offered.
- The Men and Women's dormitories equip students by encouraging self-directed discipline in their studies. Should a student struggle, the dormitory staff directs, encourages and mentors students to embrace their responsibilities as a young man or woman.
- Over the past 5 years, 98% of Hillcrest students attend private and state Universities, colleges or world-mission organizations.
- Hillcrest Academy is accredited through the Minnesota Nonpublic Schools Accrediation Association. Hillcrest is also an active member in the Minnesota Independent School Forum and Association of Christian Schools International.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae: G.T. Gunhus - Four-star Army Chaplain, notable during the 9/11 attacks.
- Hillcrest Academy accreditations: Minnesota Nonpublic Schools Accrediting Association (MNSAA)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- G.T. Gunhus - Retired Four-Star Army Chief of Chaplains
- Elling Halvorson - Businessman Entrepreneur
- Submit Review for Hillcrest Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 483.7 miles294 Lustre Road
Lustre, MT 59225
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 1423.9 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
- Grades: 6-12 | 50 students 206.1 miles315 South Grove Avenue
Owatonna, MN 55060
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.