While Hillcrest is a small school, students receive incredible opportunities. Hillcrest's worship arts program and mission experiences are a few extra-curriculars that many schools don't emphasize outside athletic offerings. At Hillcrest, purposed mentorship allow students to explore talents and dreams to equip them for a life of significance.
Hilcrest Academy's main classroom building is a traditional boarding school. Boasting near 100 years of serving families with college preparatory education, Hillcrest's outlook is bright for the future with increasing enrollment year-over-year for the past 5 years.
Hillcrest's graduates are prepared for the cultures in the world through the inter-cultural experience they have had at Hillcrest. Over 95% of Hillcrest's graduates move from the Castle to a four year University or college setting.
Hillcrest Academy is ethnically and racially diverse. Students from around the world prefer the Hillcrest dormitory experience over a home-stay or other boarding option because of the life-long friendships and general support students experience from teachers, staff and fellow students.
Hillcrest's Concert Choir and Concert Band conduct a 2-week tour across the United States. Recently they traveled to the American South-West on their 14 day tour where they performed 16 concerts for various church groups and organizations.
Every weekend students participate in organized events at Hillcrest Academy. These events draw in the diverse community at Hillcrest to build strong friendships and enable quality mentor opportunities between instructors, staff and students.
- Hillcrest holds disctinction in Robotics, Mathematics, and Knowledgebowl competitions, earning regional awards and competing in State competitions over the past 8 years.
- Hillcrest boasts over 10 clubs and 10 sports for students interested in extra-curricular involvement.
- Hillcrest is recognized as one of the nation's leading Christian Boarding Schools, integrating virture into every academic discipline through the Bible and Biblical Worldview
- Hillcrest students experience a life-change, developing confidence in skills, beliefs, and ability to communicate through an intercultral and multi-ethnic experience (students from Asia, Africa, Europe, and North and Central America).
- Students use limited technology, gaining from the mentor-style education system at Hillcrest and gleaning perspective from the various ethnicities and cultures a part of our campus (each domestic student has an international roommate).
- Every teacher at Hillcrest believes the Bible is infallible, and uses the Bible as a primary textbook in their classes, a strong proof to each faculty and staff members holding a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- All teachers are certified and credentialed through the Association of Christian Schools International, and Hillcrest is accredited through the Minnesota Non-Public Schools Accrediting Association
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bethel University Culture/Atmosphere At Hillcrest I always felt the benefit of having a very tight knit group of students. There was an added level of comfortability because we were so close as a student body. Small schools are. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Hillcrest Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||25 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||207 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1693||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1506 - 2060||-|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Our focus is training students to dress appropriately, working to teach to the heart of students as they make decisions.)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$16 million|
(Includes program fees)
(Includes program fees)
|Tuition international students||$23,260||$47,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$3,500||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Sep. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Wayne Stender|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||18||23|
|Extracurriculars||Book Club, Chess Club, Concert Club, Cooking Club, Dominican Mission Team, Drama Club, Evangelism Club, Honor, Jazz Club, Key Club, Knitting Club, Knowledge Bowl, Leadership Class, Minneapolis Cross-cultural Mission Team, Minnesota State Fine Arts Competition, Robotics, Rotary Club, Students for Life America|
- Hillcrest Academy is a private Christian college praparatory boarding high school for grades 9-12. Hillcrest enrolls students from around the world and offers English as a second culture and ESL classes.
- Hillcrest is located in west-central Minnesota on 25 acres of the Ottertail River. Being tucked away in the city of Fergus Falls, Hillcrest is only 45 miles east of Fargo, North Datoka and 150 miles from Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Athletic facilities include one full size gymnasium with a weight-room, one 3/4 sized gymnasium, a full-court soccer field and lighted football field.
- Hillcrest was founded in 1935 after a group of churches called for a school where their students could process the Christian life. Through the rigorous academic program, students at Hillcrest are directed to engage in the world through the various mission and study-and-mission programs offered.
- The Men and Women's dormitories equip students by encouraging self-directed discipline in their studies. Should a student struggle, the dormitory staff directs, encourages and mentors students to embrace their responsibilities as a young man or woman.
- Over the past 5 years, 98% of Hillcrest students attend private and state Universities, colleges or world-mission organizations.
- Hillcrest Academy is accredited through the Minnesota Nonpublic Schools Accrediation Association. Hillcrest is also an active member in the Minnesota Independent School Forum and Association of Christian Schools International.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae: G.T. Gunhus - Four-star Army Chaplain, notable during the 9/11 attacks.
- School accreditations: Minnesota Nonpublic Schools Accrediting Association (MNSAA)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- G.T. Gunhus - Retired Four-Star Army Chief of Chaplains
- Elling Halvorson - Businessman Entrepreneur
Submit Review for Hillcrest Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 483.8 miles294 Lustre Road
Lustre, MT 59225
Grades: 9-12 | 545 students 843.4 miles538 East Grandview Blvd
Erie, PA 16504
Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 1424.1 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.