Houghton Academy Photo #2 - Classrooms, offices, auditorium, gymnasium, and cafeteria are all located in the primary school building.
Houghton Academy Photo #4 - Students come to understand how deeply teachers care about each person in the school community.
Houghton Academy Photo #6 - Great education takes place both inside and outside of our classroom walls.
Houghton Academy Photo #7 - The Guidance Office supports each student throughout the college application process.
Houghton Academy Photo #9 - Highly motivated students thrive in our academically challenging program and have lots of fun along the way.
- Houghton Academy is a Christian, college-prep boarding and day school enrolling students in grades 6 - 12.
- John Nelson, Head of School, describes our program as having a three-fold emphasis on head, heart and hands.
- We seek to supply core knowledge, allow knowledge to be informed by faith, and then encourage students to put their knowledge and faith into action.
- To that end, we offer more than academic coursework. We encourage our students to get involved in sports or music or drama or art or publishing as we believe that good education should encompass more than just books and information.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Houghton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||7-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||25 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||96 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Land's End Uniforms)
|Average Class Size||16 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$0.1 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$38,282||$51,800|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 10 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||John Nelson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||18|
|Courses||College Calculus 1 (dual credit), College Computer Science 1 (dual credit), College General Physics (dual credit), College Introduction to American Government & Politics (dual credit), College Introduction to Computers & Applications (dual credit), College Introduction to Literature (dual credit), College Principles of Writing (dual credit), College Survey of American History (dual credit)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Foreign Travel, Girls Helping Girls - Peer Mediators, Sports, Student Senate
Arts and Music Programs:
French, Latin, and Spanish Honor Societies, Spanish and Latin Clubs, Save A Mile, Worship Team
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, School Government Association
|Year: 2017 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Indiana University Bloomington||5|
|The Ohio State University||3|
|University of Massachusetts Boston||3|
|Grove City College||2|
|Indiana Wesleyan University||2|
|Stony Brook University||2|
|Toccoa Falls College||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Established in 1883, Houghton Academy has a long history of successfully preparing students for the challenges of college and of life. Comprised of both boarding students and day students, a Houghton education is based on Christian philosophy of education. The faculty and staff at Houghton Academy are committed to serving as positive adult role-models for our students.
- Houghton Academy accreditations: ACSI, Middle States, TABS, NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Houghton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 163 students 277 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.