Houghton Academy Photo #4 - Students come to understand how deeply teachers care about each person in the school community.
Houghton Academy Photo #6 - Great education takes place both inside and outside of our classroom walls.
Houghton Academy Photo #7 - The Guidance Office supports each student throughout the college application process.
Houghton Academy Photo #9 - Highly motivated students thrive in our academically challenging program and have lots of fun along the way.
- Houghton Academy is a Christian, college-prep boarding and day school enrolling students in grades 6 - 12.
- John Nelson, Head of School, describes our program as having a three-fold emphasis on head, heart and hands.
- We seek to supply core knowledge, allow knowledge to be informed by faith, and then encourage students to put their knowledge and faith into action.
- To that end, we offer more than academic coursework. We encourage our students to get involved in sports or music or drama or art or publishing as we believe that good education should encompass more than just books and information.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Houghton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||7-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||7-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||25 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||101 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Land's End Uniforms)
|Average Class Size||16 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$0.1 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$35,215||$48,100|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 10 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Scott Frazier|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|Courses||AP Physics, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, College Calculus (dual credit), College Computer Science (dual credit), College Introduction to American Government & Politics (dual credit), College Introduction to Computers & Applications (dual credit), College Introduction to Literature (dual credit), College Principles of Writing (dual credit), College Survey of American History (dual credit)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||11||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Drama Club, National Honor Society, Student Senate, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Choir, Handbell Choir, Worship Team
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Ski/Snowboard Clu
|Year: 1999 - 2000||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Indiana University Bloomington||7|
|Alfred State College||5|
|University at Buffalo, The State University of New York||5|
|University of Massachusetts Boston||5|
|Rochester Institute of Technology||3|
|Toccoa Falls College||3|
|The College of William and Mary||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Established in 1883, Houghton Academy has a long history of successfully preparing students for the challenges of college and of life. Comprised of both boarding students and day students, a Houghton education is based on Christian philosophy of education. The faculty and staff at Houghton Academy are committed to serving as positive adult role-models for our students.
- Houghton Academy accreditations: ACSI, Middle States, TABS, NAIS
- Submit Review for Houghton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 146 students 277.1 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 224.2 miles314 Mountain Road
Cornwall on Hudson, NY 12520
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.