Linden Hall School
The Mary Dixon Chapel was built in 1885 in memory of the alumna by the same name, who graduated from Linden Hall in the mid-19th century. It is currently used by the Linden Hall Music Department as their practice and performance venue.
Hannah Kreider, Equestrian Education Coordinator, is the Lead Riding Instructor for Linden Hall. Linden Hall's Equestrian Team has won the Tournament of Champions, captured the Regional Title, the Zone II IEA Championship, and also won the title of Year End Zone II Championships several years in a row, allowing the team to compete for the National title.
In addition to traditional athletic offerings, students may select clubs such as archery, lacrosse, cross-country, dance, yoga, weight training, horseback riding, and conditioning.
More than 75% of students at Linden Hall participate in the performing arts. Linden Hall's Music Department offers a variety of music classes including Aurals and Theory, Music and Culture, and Technology in Music. Students can also take private lessons on any instrument or voice with a professional instructor. Students have free access to practice rooms on campus.
Linden Hall's campus includes 15 academic and residential buildings, including Stengel Hall, Steinman Art Center, Tsuzuki Science Center, a 20-stall horse stable, and the Anne Brossman Sweigart Sports and Fitness Center.
Linden Hall's thorough and personal College Counseling approach results in 100% acceptance to some of the nation's finest schools. The school's philosophy is to custom fit a match between a student and a college with the goal of maximizing both academic success and personal growth.
- Linden Hall is an independent, single-sex, college-preparatory, day and boarding school for girls grades 6-12.
- Accredited by the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges, Linden Hall was founded in 1746 and is the oldest all-girls` boarding school in the United States.
- Linden Hall provides a thoughtful, inclusive, and cooperative community, where students grow into leaders without the complications of social competitiveness.
- The adults in our community model lifelong learning, intellectual inquisitiveness, and a sense of fun; as a result, students at Linden Hall are empowered to embark upon new adventures, to celebrate successes, and to learn from their challenges.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Davidson College Linden Hall is very unique in its high level academics. I felt completely prepared for college through standardized test prep and challenging coursework, as well as interactive class discussions and effective writing assignments. The teachers. . .
- Princeton University Linden Hall undoubtedly has great academics. However, what I believe truly sets it apart from other schools, especially other schools offering similarly rigorous course loads, is the community. We are a small school. . .
- Temple University Linden Hall provides its students with unimaginable opportunities that you can't get at any other school. Because of my 6 years at this school, my best friends have reigned from different towns, different states, different. . .
- Ursinus College Linden Hall has a mandatory number of personal development points (PDPs) that students must get throughout the year. They come in the categories of off-campus and on campus community service, life-long learning, and cultural. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Linden Hall School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||49 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||200 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1316||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Plaid kilt, Khaki pants, Oxford buttonup shirt, polo, cardigan sweater, fleece zip up jacket)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$55,200||$47,000|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||78%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Mark Powers|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lauren Simonetti|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||16|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language and Culture, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Spanish Literature and Culture, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2D Design (Photography), AP Studio Art 2D Design (Studio), AP Studio Art 3D Design, AP US History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||Aerobics, Ciberchicks, Dance Club, Drama Club, Echo Literary Magazine, Equestrian Club, Girls on the Run, Girls Who Code, Green Club, Hallmark, Halloween Parade, Handbell Choir, International Night, Kick Boxing, Ledger, School Newspaper, Linden Hall Choir, Makers Space, National Honor Society, Photography, Student Council, Weight Training, Yearbook, Yoga|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- About Linden Hall: 272 Years of excellence in education
- Founded in 1746, Linden Hall is the nation's oldest independent boarding and day school for girls in continuous operation. At Linden Hall, girls thrive and grow in bold ways. With a diverse student body currently representing 30 foreign countries and 14 states, Linden Hall provides an academically rigorous community where girls are valued and known. A Linden Hall experience fosters curious and independent leaders who are prepared to contribute as compassionate global citizens. Surrounded by peers and teachers who challenge and support her, a Linden Hall girl is empowered to follow her passions and become a leader in her own generation. The solid foundation of a Linden Hall experience launches girls into the next phase of their life--well prepared not only for their chosen college, but for the careers that await them beyond.
- School accreditations: Middle States, TABS, NAIS, NCGS
Submit Review for Linden Hall School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12| 298 students 56.9 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
July 20, 2017
American boarding schools face many challenges in the 21st century. We look at five of these and offer advice.
July 17, 2017
The media loves to focus on things like elitism and how boarding schools are just for troubled kids. Let's look at the truth.
June 28, 2017
Read frequently asked questions on a range of boarding school related topics.