Linden Hall School
Linden Hall School Photo #7 - The Mary Dixon Chapel, built in 1885, is used by the Linden Hall Music Department as a practice and performance venue.
- Linden Hall is an independent college-preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 6-12.
- Accredited by the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges and the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools, Linden Hall was founded in 1746 by the Moravian Church, and is the oldest all-girls' boarding school in the United States.
- Linden Hall is a diverse, inclusive, and friendly community, where students grow into leaders with the support of caring faculty and classmates.
- The adults in our community model lifelong learning, intellectual inquisitiveness, and a sense of fun; as a result, students at Linden Hall are empowered to embark upon new adventures, to celebrate successes, and to learn from their challenges.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Washington & Lee University Linden Hall's community is unlike any other. Although the students come from completely different backgrounds and more than 30 countries around the globe, they are all friendly, caring, engaged, hard-working, and driven. They are passionate. . .
- Davidson College Linden Hall is very unique in its high level academics. I felt completely prepared for college through standardized test prep and challenging coursework, as well as interactive class discussions and effective writing assignments. The teachers. . .
- Princeton University Linden Hall undoubtedly has great academics. However, what I believe truly sets it apart from other schools, especially other schools offering similarly rigorous course loads, is the community. We are a small school. . .
Top 20 Placements
Linden Hall School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 322 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Linden Hall School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||49 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||220 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1350||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Plaid kilt, Khaki pants, Oxford buttonup shirt, polo, cardigan sweater, fleece zip up jacket with school logo)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$2.3 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$55,200||$50,000|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||78%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Lauren Simonetti (acting)|
Jennifer Stinespring (acting)
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||28||17|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language and Culture, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Spanish Literature and Culture, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art 2D Design (Photography), AP Studio Art 2D Design (Studio), AP Studio Art 3D Design, AP US History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Club Med (Pre-Med Club), Community Musicians, Dance Team, DECA, Drama Club, Echo Literary Magazine, Girls Who Code, Green Club, Harambee, Key Club, Ledger Newspaper, Math Team, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Robotics, Social Media Club, Student Council, Technology Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Handbell Choir, Linden Hall Choir, Orchestra, Photography
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Equestrian Club, Girls on the Run, Weight Training, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1746, Linden Hall is the nation's oldest independent boarding and day school for girls in continuous operation. With a diverse student body currently representing 30 foreign countries and 14 states, Linden Hall provides an academically rigorous community where girls are nurtured, inspired, and empowered to excel.
- A Linden Hall experience fosters curious and independent leaders who are prepared to contribute as compassionate global citizens. Linden Hall`s students are inquisitive, articulate, self-confident, and caring. The quality of teaching here rivals other top college preparatory schools. Teachers work to inspire their students and encourage them to ask questions, to delve deeply, to think critically and creatively, to work collaboratively, and through thoughtful tutelage, to be prepared to meet challenges. The academically rigorous program offers 28 Advanced Placement (AP) courses, with 95% of the AP exams taken at Linden Hall earning a 3, 4, or 5. Out of the 24 members of the Class of 2017, two were National Merit Finalists. In 2018 one was named a National Merit Commended Scholar. One hundred percent of the students are accepted to four-year colleges and universities, including some of the nation`s best. In addition to an exemplary academic program, the School offers signature programs in aviation, equestrian, STEM, and the arts.
- The Middle School program (grades 6-8) is designed to be developmentally appropriate for students at each grade level. Understanding that adolescence is marked by change - physical, intellectual, social, and emotional - the Middle School focuses on helping each girl develop her sense of self while maintaining a sense of belonging within the community. The main goal of the Middle School is to lay the groundwork for success in the upper grades, focusing primarily on developing the skills of independent and critical thinking, clear and concise writing, precision and accuracy, confident public speaking, responsible behavior, and thoughtful collaboration with peers.
- In the Upper School, students complete a rigorous academic program that includes: English, mathematics (including Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2), history, science (including Chemistry and Biology), and world languages (Spanish, French, Mandarin, Latin, or Greek). Students must also take electives in the visual and performing arts and physical education. Students are also required to perform community service work, read assigned books over the summer, and write and present a yearly speech to the school community. Seniors who have satisfied their requirements in all departments are encouraged to create a specialized course of study in an area that is of particular interest to them.
- The solid foundation of a Linden Hall experience launches girls into the next phase of their life, well-prepared not only for their chosen college, but for the careers that await them beyond.
- Linden Hall School accreditations: Middle States, PAIS, TABS, NAIS, NCGS
- Submit Review for Linden Hall School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 548 students 56.8 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
You need to know what is being taught before you decide which boarding school is best for you.
Spotlight on boarding schools in Canada.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.