Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki
485 Chewonki Neck Road
Wiscasset, ME 04578
Wiscasset, ME 04578
Tel: (207) 882-7323
- Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki is a semester-long academically rigorous residential program in Wiscasset, Maine, serving high school juniors.
- Learning takes place in classrooms, in the field, on the coast, at the farm, in the forest, and on extended wilderness trips.
- Side by side with their teachers, students explore the concepts behind human ecology, the intersection between humans and their natural, social, and built environments.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Maine Coast Semester||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||400 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||88 students||310 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||44 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$16,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Sheryl Stearns|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Alexis Grillo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
- Life-changing Learning in NatureMost schools ask questions you can answer from a textbook. Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki asks the questions that really matter: Who are you? What do you want from your education? How will you engage with the world around you? How can you become a force for change?At Maine Coast Semester, students have the time, teachers, and resources they need to seek answers to those questions — all while living in one of the world’s most spectacular settings. The campus on Chewonki Neck in Midcoast Maine is a private 400-acre peninsula that includes rocky intertidal zones, boreal forests, freshwater streams, and a horse-powered organic farm. During their four months, students combine challenging academic coursework with hands-on practice in nature, learn the art and skills of sustainable living, and discover how they can help bring out the best in communities near and far. They leave with new skills, confidence, and purpose – and the knowledge that they can make a difference.
- Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS, Maine State Dept. of Education
- Submit Review for Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 50 students 906.4 milesW10085 Pike Plains Road
Dunbar, WI 54119
(715) 324-6900906.49-12, PG50
- Grades: 6-9 | 14 students 227.5 miles253 Bushy Hill Road
Ivoryton, CT 06442
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.