Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki
485 Chewonki Neck Road
Wiscasset, ME 04578
Wiscasset, ME 04578
Tel: (207) 882-7323
Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki is a semester-long academically rigorous residential program in Wiscasset, Maine, serving high school juniors.
Learning takes place in classrooms, in the field, on the coast, at the farm, in the forest, and on extended wilderness trips.
Side by side with their teachers, students explore the concepts behind human ecology, the intersection between humans and their natural, social, and built environments.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Maine Coast Semester||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||400 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||88 students||306 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||44 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||3:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$16,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Sheryl Stearns|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Alexis Grillo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
- Life-changing Learning in NatureMost schools ask questions you can answer from a textbook. Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki asks the questions that really matter: Who are you? What do you want from your education? How will you engage with the world around you? How can you become a force for change?At Maine Coast Semester, students have the time, teachers, and resources they need to seek answers to those questions — all while living in one of the world’s most spectacular settings. The campus on Chewonki Neck in Midcoast Maine is a private 400-acre peninsula that includes rocky intertidal zones, boreal forests, freshwater streams, and a horse-powered organic farm. During their four months, students combine challenging academic coursework with hands-on practice in nature, learn the art and skills of sustainable living, and discover how they can help bring out the best in communities near and far. They leave with new skills, confidence, and purpose – and the knowledge that they can make a difference.
- Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS, Maine State Dept. of Education
- Submit Review for Maine Coast Semester at Chewonki
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 50 students 906.4 milesW10085 Pike Plains Road
Dunbar, WI 54119
(715) 324-6900906.49-12, PG50
- Grades: 9-12| 435 students 2197.5 miles1 Community School Drive
Sun Valley, ID 83353
In the United States and throughout the world, it is well-documented that even though boys score as well as girls on standardized tests, they are less likely to receive good grades, take advanced courses,and attend college. Learn how boys schools can help address these concerns.
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.