538 East Grandview Blvd
Erie, PA 16504
Erie, PA 16504
Mercyhurst Prep is a school with a beautiful campus. We were founded in 1926. Our building has recently been renovated with a new science rooms, class rooms, dining hall and more.
2013 IB Diploma Candidates. Mercyhurst is one of 12 Catholic High Schools in the United States offering the IB Diploma Programme.
MPS is located in on the beautiful shores of Lake Erie. The climate of this Great Lakes region allows students to experience seasonal change and access to numerous outdoor activities in a safe and accessible community. Erie, Pennsylvania has easy access to several major US cities ?? Cleveland, Buffalo and Pittsburgh ?? as well as Toronto, Canada. Compared to other
Students come to Mercyhurst Prep from all over the world. Our students like to say that Mercyhurst Prep is more than just a high school; it's their other family!
Old Main, the landmark building at Mercyhurst University, adjacent to Mercyhurst Prep. In conjunction with Mercyhurst University, we offer a special program for academically able students who wish to begin college course work or who want to pursue a subject in greater depth.
In our program, students feel at home and can often have conversations with their peers that share the same culture and also learn about others from around the world. The student's feel a sense of understanding from one another as well as sense of support.
There are a number of athletic teams including: football, soccer, tennis, golf, volleyball, basketball, swimming, softball, cheerleading, baseball, crew, lacrosse, cross country and track.
MPS offers 49 courses in the performing and visual arts taught by a faculty of active award-winning artists. The performing arts department at MPS has long been recognized as the top high school theater program in the region. Students exhibit and perform year-round in the school’s nationally recognized musical theater, dance and choral groups. In addition to the performing and visual arts courses, MPS also offers students a wide variety of extracurricular programs. These programs meet the interests of students, help them develop life skills, and make their College application more attractive.
- As Northwest Pennsylvania’s only International Baccalaureate School (grades 9-12), Mercyhurst Preparatory School offers this prestigious educational opportunity to students from all over the world.
- Mercyhurst Prep is a SEVIS approved school. If you are a student or parent interested in learning about academic excellence at Mercyhurst Preparatory School please explore the links on this site.
- International students have the opportunity to attend Mercyhurst Preparatory School as a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior student for one, two, three or four years as well as participate in athletic, co-curricular activities and/or social events.
- Pennsylvania International Academy (PIA) serves as administrators for the international student and boarding program for MPS, which remains open during all school breaks and holidays.
- To learn more about all PIA has to offer please visit their website at www.piacademy.org.
- You can also contact Mrs. Amy Wiler, Director of International Boarding Admissions (email@example.com).
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 329 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Student Test Scores High average SAT scores
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Mercyhurst||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||7 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||545 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1979||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(gray slack/skirts, white polo shirt, white oxford shirt, tie)
|Average Class Size||24 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:14||1:7|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||15||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Room + Board fees for PIA - $25,685)
(plus $200 technology, $65 I-Pad & $250 Fundraiser )
|Tuition international students||$9,175||$47,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jun. 30 / Aug. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Amy Wiler|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||46||23|
|Extracurriculars||Athena Club, AWARE, Baking Club, Bible Study, Book Club, Bowling Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Chrysalis, Concert Club, Critical Concerns Club, Dance Club, Exclusive Service Club, Feed the Hungry, Fencing Club, Finance Club, French Club, Frisbee Club, Games Club, History Club, Holocaust Organization, International Thespians, Junior Achievement Club, Lead 'n Seed, Martial Arts, Model UN,|
- In February 2010 Mercyhurst Prep developed an exclusive partnership with the Pennsylvania International Academy (PIA). PIA serves as administrators for the international student and boarding program for MPS, which is available to high school students who attend grades 9-12, located in Erie, Pennsylvania. Dedicated Student Service (SS) Ambassador’s offer a nurturing, safe, and secure living environment for students throughout the year; including school breaks and holidays. Erie is in a very peaceful and convenient location with very few distractions, which allows students to feel safe and focus on their education, as they strive to gain acceptance into the top colleges and universities in the United States. The deadline for Fall 2016 application is June 30, 2016. Students board at the state-of-the-art PIA facility and attend all classes at Mercyhurst Prep. Here are 25 great reasons to continue your educational career at Mercyhurst Preparatory School and Pennsylvania International Academy: 1. MPS is located in Erie, PA, the geographic and cultural hub of the mid-Atlantic region. We are equidistant from Cleveland, Buffalo, and Pittsburgh. 2. MPS is adjacent to Mercyhurst University, recognized by U.S. News as one of the top regional universities in the north. 3. MPS is a college prep high school with a 100% college acceptance rate with IB diploma students having an average SAT score of 1979. 4. MPS is an IB World school; in fact our Diploma program dates from 1985 making it one of the first IB Diploma schools in America. 5. MPS is one of only ten Catholic high schools in the country offering the IB Diploma. 6. MPS is one of only two Catholic boarding schools in the US offering the IB Diploma. 7. The MPS Hirt Dream Labs (Design, Research, Engineering, Arts, and Math) are unique to our program. These labs were designed with the most forward thinking technology to benefit students across the curriculum and equip them with skills needed to compete in a world where technology is interwoven into every field and college major. 8. MPS offers 49 courses in the performing and visual arts taught by a faculty of active award-winning artists. The performing arts department at MPS has long been recognized as the top high school theater program in the region. Students exhibit and perform year-round in the school’s nationally recognized musical theater, dance and choral groups. 9. MPS seeks students of all religious beliefs and cultures. 10. MPS offers the Seniors at Mercyhurst (University) program where students complete their senior year and freshman year of college simultaneously. 11. MPS is an All I-Pad School – students are given an I-Pad when they enroll and then take it with them when they graduate from Mercyhurst. 12. MPS offers three academic alternatives - College Prep, Honors and IB. Students strive to gain acceptance into the top colleges and universities in the United States. 13. MPS has been named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence by the US Dept. of Education. 14. MPS graduates currently attend: Notre Dame, Cornell, Brown, Georgetown, Case Western, Johns Hopkins, MIT, BC, and RIT, among others. 15. MPS graduates from the class of 2012 have collectively been offered over $12 million in scholarship monies. 16. MPS has a long-standing commitment to international education with a 19% international student enrollment. 17. MPS offers 16 interscholastic varsity sports featuring many regional and state championship teams. 18. MPS has the only internationally competitive HS rowing team in the area. 19. MPS features 33 co-curricular activities for academic, social, spiritual, and recreational enrichment. 20. MPS features 50 course offerings in Theater, Art, Dance and Music. 21 PIA – Pennsylvania International Academy – is the MPS boarding facility. 22. PIA sponsors excursions to local points of interest as well as activities throughout the year for the boarding students. 23. PIA offers bus and van shuttle service for boarding students to school, for cultural events, and for shopping. 24. PIA residence hall is open year-round for students who would like to stay on campus over over school breaks and holidays. 25. MPS/PIA delivers tremendous value in education with the most reasonable cost of any IB boarding school in America. We are $40,000 all inclusive.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Submit Review for Mercyhurst Preparatory School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 1324.8 miles294 Lustre Road
Lustre, MT 59225
Grades: 9-12 | 249 students 837.1 miles22520 Mount Michael Road
Elkhorn, NE 68022
Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 2121.2 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.