Millbrook School Photo #2 - Millbrook's 800-acre campus centers around the Flagler Quad which is the center of activity for the community.
Millbrook School Photo #3 - Abbott Hall, home to upper class girls, is one of eight dormitories at Millbrook.
Millbrook School Photo #4 - The Holbrook Arts Center not only houses studios for dance, ceramics, two-dimensional study and music, but it is also home to the Warner Gallery, a photography suite, practice rooms, lecture hall, classrooms and offices. At its center is the 325-seat Chelsea Morrison Theater.
Millbrook School Photo #5 - Students have participated in the Millbrook's community service program since the school's founding in 1931. Among the approximately 38 services a student may choose from are the farm, recycling (shown here), dog walking, and the Trevor Zoo.
Millbrook School Photo #6 - Nationally accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), the Trevor Zoo serves as a center for student research, for the captive breeding of endangered species, and for the recovery of sick and injured animals. Not only is it an important academic resource for Millbrook students, it is also a community service option.
- Millbrook School is a coeducational boarding school which offers its 310 students in grades 9-12 a rigorous college preparatory curriculum that integrates academics, service, athletics, arts, and leadership.
- Since its founding in 1931, the school has encouraged its students to develop as strong and healthy individuals as well as concerned citizens of the world and its environment.
- Located on a beautifully designed campus on 800 scenic acres in Dutchess County, Millbrook is a leader among independent schools in conservation and sustainability.
- Honors and AP courses are offered as well as many electives, independent study, a culminating experience for seniors, language immersion program, and advanced science research.
- Exceptional offerings in the visual and performing arts complement a strong competitive and recereational athletic program.
- All students and faculty participate in an on-campus communty service program which embodies the school's motto, Non Sibi Sed Cunctis - Not For Oneself But for All.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- New York University When I think of Millbrook, I think of the overwhelming support from the student body and faculty. Millbrook to me is special in that it maintains a strong and connected community, that continues as you. . .
- Syracuse University One obvious factor that made my school unique was the on-campus zoo. This had an incredible range of animals from baby red pandas to otters. It has also an incredible amount of endangered animals as. . .
- Washington University in St Louis Millbrook's biggest differentiating factor from all other boarding schools is the Trevor Zoo. The Trevor Zoo is located on Millbrook's campus and is the only AZA accredited zoo on a high school campus in the. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Millbrook School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||800 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||310 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$36 million||$20 million|
(Includes all meals)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$38,200||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||67%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Meghan Grover|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Devandrea Bernard|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||18|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Ceramics, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Drawing and Painting, Advanced French Literature, Advanced Mandarin, Advanced Photography, Advanced Physics, Advanced Readings in Latin, Advanced Science Research, Advanced Spanish Literature, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP English, AP French, AP Spanish, AP Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Badminton Team (glee club), Drawing and Painting, Intramural Volleyball, Mountain Bike Riding, Newspaper/Yearbook, Photography & Darkroom Editing, SCAPE (Students Concerned About Planet Earth), School Newspaper, Senior Prefects, Spartans & Athenians, Strength & Conditioning, Student Advisors, Student Tutors, Tour Guides, Ultimate Frisbee
Arts and Music Programs:
Distributive Education Club, French National Honors Society, Horseback Riding (Western), Writing and Poetry
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Literary Advance, Riding, Senior Cheer Team (school spirit), Skiing and Snowboarding, Test Extras
|Year: 2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|St. Lawrence University||4|
|College of Charleston||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Every aspect of the curriculum is intended to develop: curiosity and a commitment to intellectual excellence, critical thinking, and the joy of learning; respect for oneself and for others; a moral framework based on personal integrity; a commitment to serve as stewards of the natural world; and a readiness to use one`s knowledge and skills in service to others. To fulfill its mission, Millbrook School offers a rigorous, varied and comprehensive curriculum which is individually oriented, includes all aspects of learning, and requires meaningful, active involvement in the daily life of the school. Equally important, Millbrook attracts and maintains a faculty with a demonstrated commitment and the ability to teach in a variety of roles, as well as a capable, motivated, and diverse student body.
- Students who are interested in the sciences will find that Millbrook offers a unique program at its Trevor Zoo which houses more than 150 animals, representing 50 different species, seven of which are endangered. Accredited by the AZA (American Zoo and Acquarium Association), it is a first-rate living laboratory which serves not only as a community service for 90 students, but also as a center for student research, for the captive breeding of endangered species, and for the recovery of sick and injured native animals. This unique facility is paired with a spectacular $12 million gold LEED-certified math and science center (completed in 2008) which contains 4 labs, 5 classrooms dedicated to mathematics, and a technology center.
- A talented group of gifted, devoted teachers share a passion for their disciplines, a commitment to and belief in the power of education, and a desire to involve themselves deeply in the lives of young people. The faculty encourages students to be curious, involved, active learners. In reference to Millbrook`s strong faculty/student relationship, Drew Casertano, headmaster since 1990, said "Never again in your life will so many people be dedicated to helping you succeed."
- Millbrook`s students are fully immersed in the life of their school. The school`s ideal size fosters a strong sense of community, allows students to be known and needed, and provides all sorts of opportunities for students to be involved. Millbrook students are encouraged to explore their talents and interests and to contribute to the well-being of others. All students participate in the school`s community service program which gives them direct responsibility for operating services which support almost every facet of school life recycling, working in the community garden, caring for animals in the zoo, participating in outreach programs to name a few.
- Millbrook has a long history of strong, competitive athletics with a high standard of sportsmanship. The school`s athletic program boasts a state-of-the art 86,000 square foot athletic center complete with basketball court, squash center and indoor skating rink.
- The arts are a full partner in Millbrook`s overall program. A rich and varied curricula in music, art, and drama is enhanced by many opportunities for performance and exhibition. The 34,000 square foot Holbrook Arts Center is home to an exceptional arts faculty and 80% of the student body who elect to take an art class each term.
- Students come to Millbrook in search of great teachers and exciting programs. Once found, they also discover themselves.
- Millbrook School accreditations: NAIS NYSAIS TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- William F. Buckley - Author
- Thomas Lovejoy - Environmentalist
- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. - Environmental Lawyer and Activist
- Serena Altschul - CBS News Correspondent
- Whit Stillman - Film Director
- Rufus Wainwright - musician
- Alistair Horne - author
- James L. Buckley - former U.S. Senator and federal judge
- Robert W. Johnson IV - philanthropist and owner of NY Jets
- Schuyler Chapin - arts administrator
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Millbrook School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
Two kinds of admissions are in use at American boarding schools: admissions with a fixed deadline and rolling admissions. We take a look at rolling admissions.