Oak Grove School
Oak Grove has a beautiful 150-acre campus near Los Padres National Forest and a short drive from the beach, providing many opportunities to connect with nature.
Our boarding facility, Besant House, is a family-style program for 15-20 international and domestic students.
Oak Grove High School offers a challenging college-preparatory program that is approved by the University of California and is designed to exceed admission requirements for the most rigorous and selective universities across the country.
All Oak Grove high school students select from a wide range of visual, practical, and performing art electives, which integrate and honor individual student interest and passion.
Performing arts are a big part of campus life at Oak Grove School, with community-wide High School Showcases, and many opportunities to perform outside of the school.
Each year, seniors take a one-month trip to India, participating in Oak Grove's sister schools. Out students learn about themselves and their world, in part by being of service.
Balanced with academics, the fine and performing arts, travel, and a focus on self knowledge, sports play a key role in the life of the school.
- Oak Grove School is a progressive, pre K twelve college-preparatory day and boarding school nestled on 150 acres in beautiful Ojai, California.
- The school provides a well-rounded and challenging academic experience balanced with rich extra-curricular programs in fine, performing, and practical arts, physical fitness, environmental and outdoor education, and travel.
- Inspired by the school`s founder J. Krishnamurti, Oak Grove helps students develop the qualities of mind, heart, and body that enable them to act with excellence, self-knowledge, and responsibility in the modern world.
- The school`s unique community offers an environment of inquiry where whole, mindful, and intelligent approaches to life are investigated and perennial questions of humankind are explored.
- Oak Grove features a vegetarian campus, organic gardens, and a commitment to sustainability in all forms.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Lafayette College Focus on the education of the whole student. Respect for individuality and personal expression. Non-competitive approach to sports and learning. Travel all over the southwest and the world. Coed, international, vegetarian family style. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Oak Grove School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||150 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||64 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1272||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1200 - 1320||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||16 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$1.2 million||$18 million|
|Tuition international students||$57,500||$48,100|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||5000||$22,844|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Krista Swanner|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Brittany Parish|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|Courses||Calculus Honors, Chemistry Honors, English III Honors, English IV Honors, Physics Honors, Pre-Calculus Honors, Spanish III Honors, Spanish IV Honors, US History Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||15|
|Sports||Cross Country, Soccer, Surf Team, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||10||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Environment Club, Gardening Club, International Travel
Arts and Music Programs:
Battle of the Bands, Community Art Show, Jazz Club, Rock Academy, World Music
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2013 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|UC Santa Barbara||5|
|Lewis and Clark||2|
|University of Oregon||2|
|UC Los Angeles||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Co-educational Day and Boarding.
- Just north of Los Angeles, set on 150 beautiful acres in Ojai, California, 20 minutes from the beaches of Southern California.
- Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS).
- Members of National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Western Boarding Schools Association (WBSA) and The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS).
- Challenging, integrated & inquiry-based college-preparatory experience.
- Progressive, child-centered elementary and early childhood programs that integrate state standards while honoring the whole child.
- Average class size of 12-16.
- A rich extracurricular program including fine, performing and practical arts, foreign language, environmental and outdoor education, team sports and travel.
- A caring community dedicated to academic excellence while fostering mindfulness, understanding, and awareness of self, others, and the world.
- Family-style residential program for junior high and high school students.
- Vegetarian campus with organic gardens.
- Environmentally friendly facilities and practices.
- Graduates accepted at top colleges and universities worldwide.
- SAT scores surpass national averages among both public and private high schools.
- Immersion ESL program available for high school students.
- The only Krishnamurti school in North America, with sister schools that include India's Rishi Valley and the UK's Brockwood Park schools.
- 12th grade students participate in a month-long signature trip to India.
- School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
- Submit Review for Oak Grove School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 144 students 69.4 miles2800 Monterey Road
San Marino, CA 91108
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.