Performing arts are a big part of campus life at Oak Grove School, with community-wide High School Showcases, and many opportunities to perform outside of the school
Balanced with academics, the fine and performing arts, travel, and a focus on self knowledge, sports play a key role in the life of the school.
Students have access to computer labs throughout campus, and can bring their laptops to many classes.
- Oak Grove School is a progressive, pre K – twelve college preparatory day and boarding school nestled on 150 acres in beautiful Ojai, California.
- The school provides a well-rounded and challenging academic experience balanced with rich extra-curricular programs in fine, performing, and practical arts, physical fitness, environmental and outdoor education, and travel.
- Inspired by the school’s founder J. Krishnamurti, Oak Grove helps students develop the qualities of mind, heart, and body that enable them to act with excellence, self-knowledge, and responsibility in the modern world.
- The school’s unique community offers an environment of inquiry where whole, mindful, and intelligent approaches to life are investigated and perennial questions of humankind are explored.
- Oak Grove features a vegetarian campus, organic gardens, and a commitment to sustainability in all forms.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Lafayette College Focus on the education of the whole student. Respect for individuality and personal expression. Non-competitive approach to sports and learning. Travel all over the southwest and the world. Coed, international, vegetarian family style. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Oak Grove School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||150 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||230 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1914||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$5,000||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Joy Maguire-Parsons|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||16|
|Courses||AP Calculus, AP Physics, English III Honors, English IV Honors, Spanish IV Honors, US History Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||4||14|
|Sports||Equestrian, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||10||23|
|Extracurriculars||Battle of the Bands, Camping Club, Community Art Show, Community Service Club, Environment Club, Gardening Club, International Travel, Jazz Club, Rock Academy, World Music|
|Year: 2008 - 2011||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||3|
|Berklee College of Music||2|
|Otis Art Institute||2|
- Co-educational Day and Boarding.
- Just north of Los Angeles, set on 150 beautiful acres in Ojai, California, 20 minutes from the beaches of Southern California.
- Accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) and the California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS).
- Members of National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Western Boarding Schools Association (WBSA) and The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS).
- Challenging, integrated & inquiry-based college-preparatory experience.
- Progressive, child-centered elementary and early childhood programs that integrate state standards while honoring the whole child.
- Average class size of 12-16.
- A rich extracurricular program including fine, performing and practical arts, foreign language, environmental and outdoor education, team sports and travel.
- A caring community dedicated to academic excellence while fostering mindfulness, understanding, and awareness of self, others, and the world.
- Family-style residential program for junior high and high school students.
- Vegetarian campus with organic gardens.
- Environmentally friendly facilities and practices.
- Graduates accepted at top colleges and universities worldwide.
- SAT scores surpass national averages among both public and private high schools.
- Immersion ESL program available for high school students.
- The only Krishnamurti school in North America, with sister schools that include India's Rishi Valley and the UK's Brockwood Park schools.
- 12th grade students participate in a month-long signature trip to India.
- School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS)
Submit Review for Oak Grove School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 6-12, PG | 144 students 69.4 miles2800 Monterey Road
San Marino, CA 91108
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.