- Academic program for all children ages 6-13 including those that may have learning differences such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD, auditory processing or executive functioning difficulites or those who may be struggling in a traditional classroom setting.
- Coed, Residential or Day - Individualized programs with emphasis on reading, written language, math, study skills, and organization.
- Daily one to one session included within program.
- Extensive recreational program, including horseback riding. Experienced and nurturing staff. Nurturing environment on 450 acres
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|School Focus||Learning Disabilities / Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 1-8|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||450 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||5 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,750|
(Both boarding and day options are available.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Kara Presson|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||1 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Intramural Sports Only|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||6 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Fitness & Conditioning
Arts and Music Programs:
Individual Music Instruction, Recreational Snow Sports
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Mundiamo Club, Various sports and athletic activities
- A small, co-ed, boarding and day school that enables bright children to reach their academic and personal potential through small class sizes and individualized student programs. Oakland specializes in working with children who have language-based learning differences, organizational difficulties, or those who thrive in a personalized academic setting.
- The grounds are located on our 450 acre farm of woodland and meadows. The home-like enviroment and the individualized attention given to each student combine to make a warm, caring place in which the child can blossom.
- At Oakland, students have individualized programs tailored to their special needs. Every student is assigned to a main reading teacher who oversees the specifics of the child's program.
- Every student receives at least one, daily, 1:1 instruction. Oakland offers a low student teacher ratio averaging 5:1. Small classes combined with one-to-one instruction provide the attention needed for real academic growth.
- Classes are ungraded and based instead on skill level. Students are placed in classes which they can comfortably learn.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, executive functioning, ADD, ADHD
- Oakland School accreditations: VAISEF
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Oakland School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 224 students 437.4 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 3-10 | 25 students 471 miles28 Patey Circle
Rindge, NH 03461
- Grades: 4-9 | 70 students 490.5 miles4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.