With enthusiasm, humor and patience, the Peddie faculty challenges students to reach beyond their expectations and to define success by the progress they make.
On the stage and in studio classrooms and rehearsal halls, promising young artists learn to tap into their imaginations, to problem-solve, and to communicate in new ways.
Peddie offers Signature Experience programs in Asian Studies, Creative Writing, Arts, Research Science (EXP) as well as a Summer Signature Experience.
At Peddie, athletics are considered an extension of the classroom, and all students are required to enroll in physical activity classes and to join its 17 sports and 56 athletic teams.
The Digital Fabrication Lab, a 4300-square-foot building, houses an engineering lab with advanced fabrication capabilities in?cluding a CNC mill, CNC laser, 3D printer and a robotics studio.
In this board?ing school environment, students are prepared for the rigors and rewards of college and are inspired to strive for the highest quality of citizenship.
- Peddie is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory school for students in grades 9 through post-graduate.
- Peddie provides a rigorous academic and extracurricular experience both inside and outside the classroom, focusing on preparing students for a lifetime of learning, citizenship, continual growth and opportunity.
- With a beautiful campus in Hightstown, NJ, and a distinguished history dating back to 1864, the school prides itself on a curriculum that balances tradition with innovation in a genuinely supportive community atmosphere.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of South Carolina While most boarding schools are smaller than public or even private day schools, Peddie was unique because we only had around 500 kids for all four of my years there. Another unique aspect was our. . .
- Lehigh University The Peddie vs. Blair rivalry undoubtedly sets Peddie apart, as the rivalry is the oldest in NJ (since 1903). Blair week is such a memorable week in the life of a Peddie student and no. . .
- Lehigh University I really enjoyed the fact that we had family style dinners. It allowed students of all grades and teachers from all disciplines to communicate with one another. The sense of community at Peddie is what. . .
- Boston College Choosing Peddie was the best decision I have ever made. They have a unique approach to teaching that could not exist anywhere else. The way they have integrated technology in the classroom makes learning so. . .
- Villanova University One of the most important aspects about Peddie is the relationship that the students form with their teachers, and not only the teachers they have in class. I formed some type of relationship with. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 324 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Peddie School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||280 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||551 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1770 - 2090||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$321 million|
(as of June 30, 2017)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$40,063|
(Average financial aid grant refers to boarders. )
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||74%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Molly Dunne|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|Courses||Advanced Art Courses: Honors Theatre, Honors Studio Art, Advanced Language Courses: Advanced Spanish V, Latin V, Advanced Mathematics Courses: Abstract & Applied Mathematics, Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, Advanced Science Courses: Advanced Computer Science, Advanced Physics C, Advanced Research Physics, EXP Research, AP Arts: Music Theory, Studio Art, AP English: English Literature, AP History: Art History, US Government and Politics, US History, European History, AP Language: Chinese, French Language, Latin: Vergil, Spanish Language, AP Mathematics: Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Statistics, AP Science: Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Psychology, Signature Programs: Asian Studies, Research Science, Creative Writing, Arts, Summer Signature|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||51||24|
|Extracurriculars||A Capella, Admission Tour Guides, Amnesty International Club, Amphion (literary Magazine), Asian Association, Community Prefects, Cum Laude, Debate Club, Declamation Contest, Disciplinary Council, Drama Club, Dynasty Dance Troupe, Environment Club, Faculty-Student Senate, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Gold Key Club, Habitat for Humanity, International Student Club, Jazz Club, Jewish Heritage Club, Latin Club, Math Club, Model UN, Mu Alpha Theta Honors Society, Multicultural Alliance, New Student Orientation Leaders, One Act Plays, Peddie Chorus, Peddie Concert Band, Peddie Melodies, Peddie News, Peddie Orchestra, Peddie Singers, Percussion Ensemble, Poetry Society, Project Apoyo, Project What If, Reeves Speeking Contest, Residential Prefects, School Musical, Secret Society of Eight, Spanish Club, String Ensemble, Student Council, The Old Gold and Blue (Yearbook), Upperclass Play, Young Entrepreneurs Club|
Club or Organization:
Art Club, Mock Trial, Video Clu
|Year: 2008 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Johns Hopkins University||22|
|New York University||21|
|The George Washington University||21|
|University of Pennsylvania||19|
|Carnegie Mellon University||17|
|United States Naval Academy||17|
Peddie is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory school for students in grades 9 through post-graduate. Peddie provides a rigorous academic and extracurricular experience both inside and outside the classroom, focusing on preparing students for a lifetime of learning, citizenship, continual growth and opportunity. With a beautiful campus in Hightstown, NJ, and a distinguished history dating back to 1864, the school prides itself on a curriculum that balances tradition with innovation in a genuinely supportive community atmosphere.
- Rigorous Academics :With an average class size of 12 and a student-to-faculty ratio of 6:1, Peddie`s rigorous and innovative academic program continues to evolve to meet the demands of an ever-changing world. Peddie offers 18 AP courses and a variety of unique courses in math, English, history, language, science, the arts and more. Peddie`s Research Science program, which combines course work with "real world" summer laboratory experience, and its Asian Studies program, which partners with its sister school in Shanghai, are among several concentrations available through the Peddie Signature Experience Program. Other areas of study include art, creative writing and independent study. Students are regularly exposed to off-campus cultural excursions and high-profile guest speakers to enhance their academic experience.
- Dynamic Faculty: With a mean of 19 years teaching experience and 73% of teachers holding advanced degrees, Peddie's faculty is recognized for encouraging and inspiring bright and enthusiastic students to reach for new levels of achievement. With enthusiasm, humor and patience, the Peddie faculty challenges students to reach beyond their expectations and to define success by the progress they make.
- Technology: Peddie has long been committed to using technology to enhance learning. Every classroom is equipped with an interactive television or whiteboard, and laptop computers are provided to all students and are used in every discipline across Peddie`s curriculum. This year, the school completed construction of the Digital Fabrication Lab, a 3400-square-foot building that houses an engineering lab with advanced fabrication capabilities including a CNC mill, CNC laser, 3D printer and a robotics studio.
- Supportive Community: Peddie is a boarding and day school, with 62% of students and 90% of faculty residing on campus. Peddie provides a distinctive educational experience in which all students participate in a dynamic and diverse community, exploring new ideas, accepting challenges, assuming responsibility and ultimately and most importantly learning to live independently. In this boarding school environment, students are prepared for the rigors and rewards of college and are inspired to strive for the highest quality of citizenship.
- College Preparation: Most Peddie students attend selective colleges and universities. The College Counseling Office takes a highly personalized approach to educating students and families about the college process. Students and their families work closely with their counselors to develop a self-awareness that guides each student to find his or her best fit.
- Athletics: At Peddie, athletics are considered an extension of the classroom, and all students are required to enroll in physical activity classes and to join its 17 sports and 56 athletic teams. Through participation in sports, students learn sportsmanship, discipline, personal integrity, teamwork, time management and perseverance: qualities that will assist them in achieving success throughout their lives. Peddie offers its students access to newly-renovated athletic facilities, including a 35m pool, an 18-hole golf course, a boat house, a state-of-the-art fitness center, indoor and outdoor tracks and more.
- Arts: On the stage and in studio classrooms and rehearsal halls, promising young artists learn to tap into their imaginations, to problem-solve, and to communicate in new ways. During the class day, more than 300 Peddie students take part in a diverse menu of electives in music, theater and visual arts. Outside of the classroom, students have opportunities to attend and perform in a wide variety of on- and off-campus arts events. Students at Peddie acquire essential skills, vocabulary and perspective that will shape them into more appreciative and better-informed citizens, sensitive to the cultural landscape they inhabit.
- School accreditations: New Jersey Association of Independent Schools and Middle States Association
- Submit Review for Peddie School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.