5.00 (1 review)
51 Pottersville Road, P.O. Box 500
Pottersville, NJ 07979
Pottersville, NJ 07979
Purnell School Photo #3 - Girls running for cross country, one of Purnell's many non-competitive sports.
- Purnell School is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences.
- Our mission is to educate young women, who learn differently in grades nine through PG within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community.
- We offer seven- and five-day boarding as well as day programs.
- Purnell also offers a PG year program that encourages study and exploration.
- Our campus is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey.
- Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia.
- Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Humboldt State University Purnell has the perfect student body size to get a personal connection with staff and peers, you'll know every student, teacher, spouse, campus child & pet within the first month. Purnell is located close. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Purnell School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||83 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||60 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Purnell students are required to wear uniforms. A complete set of uniforms is $200 - $300 and typically includes a blazer, sweater or vest, white Oxford button down shirt, and a kilt.)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$9.9 million||$18 million|
|Tuition international students||$69,710||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$21,000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kate Davis|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||15|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Dance, Equestrian, Riding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||11||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Big Sisters, Coding/Makers Club, Community, Debate Club, Purnell Greens, Rocketry Team, Student Ambassadors
Arts and Music Programs:
Shoots and Strawberries choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Rock Climbing, Running Club, Yoga
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Holy Cross||2|
|Franklin and Marshall College||2|
|Bryn Mawr College||1|
|St. Andrews University||1|
- Purnell School, established in 1963, is the premier boarding and day school for girls with learning differences. We are at the forefront of education for girls from across the globe with different learning styles. We use a highly individualized approach tailored to the precise learning style of each student. Girls in grades nine through twelve learn within a creative, reflective, and supportive classroom and boarding community and thrive in academics, the arts and athletics. We offer seven and five-day boarding as well as day programs. Purnell also offers a Post Graduate (PG) year of study and exploration. Each year Purnell graduates attend the college of their choice.
- Purnell is located on 83 acres in rural, equestrian New Jersey. Safe, peaceful yet close to the vibrancy of New York City and Philadelphia. Students discover their unique strengths in preparation for college and the world. Purnell students learn to be ethical, independent, and self-confident working with faculty who act as mentors, teaching to the individual needs of the student.Purnell`s founding beliefs continue to guide the school over 50 years later: Consideration of Others, Truthfulness in All Relations, Use of Common Sense.
- Purnell successfully serves girls with the following learning differences: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Executive Functioning Challenges, Auditory Processing Disorders.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, New Jersey Association of Independent Schools.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, ADHD, Executive Functioning Challenges, Auditory Processing Disorders
- Purnell School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Purnell School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.